Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 1st April 2017, 21:25   #1
KenM

April Moths

Temperatures somewhat lower than 30/31st as were the numbers!
However another ''lifer'' on April 1st...''Striped Shoulder'' plus another or...the previous nights Streamer, Early Thorn, Lunar Marbled Brown, Hebrew Character x2, Early Grey, and a Carpet sp being the highlights. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1460207.jpeg  Shoulder Stripe.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	620730  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1460203.jpeg  Streamer 2..jpg
Views:	29
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	620731  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1460330.jpeg   Carpet sp..jpg
Views:	24
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	620732  
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:26   #2
aeshna5

Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period. It is a species I regularly get in the garden + wonder whether it could have pupated in the room + the radiator may have advanced its emergence?
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 17:55   #3
KenM

This morning I found an Angle Shades at the entrance to my UV trap!....May Is given as the "start" date for this species, although can be found "all year?"....might this suggest an immigrant, as I can't recall getting one this early before.

Cheers
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 18:16   #4
Val35

Saw my very first Emperor Moth (a male) this afternoon while birding in Brittany (France). It really was a wonderful sighting !
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 20:20   #5
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period.
Hi
If you want to check flight periods, you can't do better than the Hants Moths website. It gives records from early April.
Martin
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 20:24   #6
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
This morning I found an Angle Shades at the entrance to my UV trap!....May Is given as the "start" date for this species, although can be found "all year?"....might this suggest an immigrant, as I can't recall getting one this early before.
Cheers
Hi Ken
Again, the Hants Moths website gives records for every moth except December so I wouldn't assume a migrant. It's a species that can be found in almost every stage (egg, larva, pupa and adult) at almost any time of year.
Martin
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 20:47   #7
smokenack

L-album Wainscot by the trap this morning, a couple of months earlier than usual in my garden
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 22:19   #8
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Hi Ken
Again, the Hants Moths website gives records for every moth except December so I wouldn't assume a migrant. It's a species that can be found in almost every stage (egg, larva, pupa and adult) at almost any time of year.
Martin
Thanks Martin
Old Sunday 2nd April 2017, 22:20   #9
dwallace

Brindled Beauty in the trap this morning was a new moth for me.

Dave W
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 13:35   #10
aeshna5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
Yesterday evening I noticed a moth larger than the regular micro species fluttering in our spare room, What I presume is the same moth is now settled at the top of the wall + surprised that it's a Small Dusty Wave because the books give June as the start of the flight period. It is a species I regularly get in the garden + wonder whether it could have pupated in the room + the radiator may have advanced its emergence?
As an add on I've just got back from a morning out + there are now 3 Small Dusty Waves in the room. It's a moth that has got into the house several times in the past so I can only imagine some eggs were laid on a plant indoors for there to be now 3 out of season moths in the room. I don't think the fan light has been open in there so far this year.
Old Saturday 8th April 2017, 21:45   #11
Gastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Hi Ken
Martin
Whilst we get Angle Shades at any time of year here in Cornwall, it's noticeable that numbers tend to increase whenever there's an influx of other migrant species. So I assume they're both resident and migrants.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: