Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 15:53   #1
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Best of the mid-range 8x32s?

Still trying to get my GF a pair of mid-range 8x32s... The primary options I'm looking at are the Cabela's Euro HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Kowa Genesis.

The Euro HD is on sale at a good price. The Zeiss is always a fan-favorite. The big Kowa is probably my favorite full-sized bino, but I've not gotten to try its little brother. I've looked through the Euro HD and Zeiss HD side-by-side and always thought the Euro seemed just a tad better ergonomically, but I think the Zeiss had better Eye-relief. Optically I couldn't discern much as I was indoors.

The others that contend would be things like the 8x32 Trinovid HD (seems overpriced and I'm still not sure what the actual FoV is as the numbers presented when it was released don't make sense) and the Minox MIG (which I've never before seen) among others I'm probably forgetting.

My basic question is thus:
Which of the mid-range 8x32s would/did you choose and why?

Justin
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 16:07   #2
Gijs van Ginkel

Justin, Post 1,
Do not forget the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32, an excellent binocular for its price, it can compete with the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD -plus, but at a much lower price.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 16:16   #3
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Justin, Post 1,
Do not forget the Meopta Meostar B1 8x32, an excellent binocular for its price, it can compete with the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD -plus, but at a much lower price.
Gijs van Ginkel
That's the Cabelas Euro he is referring to, but it's the HD version .
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 18:02   #4
gunut
Registered Offender

minox ...bl 8x33 hd.....
Old Saturday 17th June 2017, 19:47   #5
cycleguy

Jremmons,

As you know... it comes down to personal preference!!!

Here are a couple of left of center options to consider as well: Maven B3 8x30 and Nikon Eii 8x30 (if you like porros, probably better optics than the others at 1/3 to 1/2 the price).

I've handled the meopta B1/Cabelas Euro a half dozen times or better while at the store and never could get along with that one. I do like its bigger brother the 10x42 and have always waited for the 8x42 HD version but haven't seen one yet... go figure?

I have the Conquest 8x32HD and get along with it well, but not perfect and sensational in every way. Two biggest drawbacks for me are the objective covers and the functioning of the eyecups so I leave them extended all the time.

I've always wanted to try the kowa but haven't had the chance. Reports here by some tend to think it is a little sharper than the Zeiss.

I had a lot of promotions and credits and discounts when I bought the Zeiss so it cost me much less than its internet retailer price. Kowa was running a $100 more than the Zeiss not too long ago but it looks like that pricing has dried up.

Also had the Nikon HG L 8x32 and did a long review of it vs the Zeiss here on birdforum. You can look it up. Think I liked the Nikon a tad better but preferred the ergos of the Zeiss a bit more so went with it.

If the porro is of any interest, I have one like new for sale in the classifieds..

Best,

CG
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 02:07   #6
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Still trying to get my GF a pair of mid-range 8x32s... The primary options I'm looking at are the Cabela's Euro HD, Zeiss Conquest HD, and Kowa Genesis.

The Euro HD is on sale at a good price. The Zeiss is always a fan-favorite. The big Kowa is probably my favorite full-sized bino, but I've not gotten to try its little brother. I've looked through the Euro HD and Zeiss HD side-by-side and always thought the Euro seemed just a tad better ergonomically, but I think the Zeiss had better Eye-relief. Optically I couldn't discern much as I was indoors.

The others that contend would be things like the 8x32 Trinovid HD (seems overpriced and I'm still not sure what the actual FoV is as the numbers presented when it was released don't make sense) and the Minox MIG (which I've never before seen) among others I'm probably forgetting.

Justin
Hey Justin..
Still trying to decide?

I've been meaning to write a little report soon about some of those very verrekijkers! Hopefully I'll get around to it. I've had several along the way. Here's my quick two cents:

I've had the Vortex Viper HD 8X32 and the Victory FL 8X32 quite a while. The Viper HD is just a good all around binocular. It goes canoeing, motorcycling, left in vehicles...loaned out, you name it. Still functions as new with quite good optics! Quite a testimony really! I've had the Meopta/Cabalea's Meostar Euro HD 8X32 right along with them for quite a while too. I've always thought the Meopta Meostar Euro HD was every bit as good as the FL. I still do. Quick Story...my brother and I were to go birding. He left his binoculars at home. I had the FL 8X32 and the Meopta's as spares(he hasn't going the get my SV 8.5X42!). He looked thru both for only a couple of minutes and said "I'll use these." That was the Meopta 8X32. When he got thru birding he told me he wanted to buy them! Since the ONLY issue I had with them was they were a LITTLE short on eye relief, he took them home. The build quality of the Meostar is first rate. I would recommend them to anyone. $649 now too! A bargain! Moving on..

I've had the Conquest HD 8X32 for a little over a month. It has been my primary birding binocular during this time since I purchased while at Magee Marsh. I have carried two 8X32s at a time practically every time I have gone birding lately. Back and forth between two. The combos Conquest HD/SV 8x32 and Conquest HD/FL 8X32 have been compared many times. Of course I feel the SV 8X32 is the finest 8X32 out there for many reasons. The ONLY binocular I have had that comes close is the Conquest HD. Optically fantastic. I can see NO area where the FL is better optically except maybe a slightly flatter FOV. In the center 65% the Conquest HD quite simply offers a sharper image than my FL. Easy to see. It's a great 32mm binocular. So this one can be found for $700-$800.

So between the Cabala's/Meopta Euro HD and the Zeiss Conquest HD.... I wish I still had the Euro HD to directly compare to the Conquest HD. IMO, it shouldn't take you TOO long to pick between THESE two simply based on handling/asthetics/person preferences. I believe either is a fine choice. TODAY...I'd probably go Conquest HD.

I'd be more than happy to answer any specific questions....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0149.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	630953  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	630954  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	630955  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0091.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	630956  

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 06:34   #7
denco@comcast.n

Do you have to have an 8x32? The Tract Toric 8x42 isn't much bigger than a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and the Tract is sharper and brighter especially under low light conditions plus it is more comfortable to use with easier eye placement due to the bigger 5mm exit pupil. It is also slimmer than the the Zeiss Conquest HD with better ergonomics and only 4 oz. heavier than the Zeiss at 26 oz. Cheaper too at $650.00.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products...ric-binoculars

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Sunday 18th June 2017 at 06:42.
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 13:02   #8
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Chuck,
Is there anything you find the Viper HD 8x32 particularly lacking as compared to the Euro HD or Conquest HD? I've considered it as well and found a very good deal on a pair of them (less than half price of the others). I've owned the 6x32 and quite liked them but found them fairly limited due to the small magnification. As you know I've also owned many other quality 8x32s (Ultravid BR, Swarovision, Zeiss FL, Leupold Golden Ring) so I have an idea of what the highest quality provides, but I'm also not the most picky person since I'm more of a field surveyor by nature of my job and less of a true "stare at same bird for 30min to get perfect view of all feather and color details" birder.

Dennis,
Thanks for the Tract suggestion, and it is on my radar if I decide to want an 8x42, but at present this 8x32 will primarily be a secondary binocular for me (when I'm just going on short strolls and not full birding surveys/trips) and a primarily binocular for my GF who wanted a small, compact bin to pack in her field bag.

CG,
I've owned the 8x30 EII and can attest to their amazing optical quality, but I could never quite get along with the very short eye-relief and still see the whole FoV, which was one of its biggest selling points IMO.

Gigis,
The Euro HD is basically a rebranded Meostar with HD glass (whatever that means to you...). Have you done a test on the Meostars or Meostar HD(Euro HD)? I like your reports but sometimes have difficulty finding what I'm looking for on the website.

Thanks all for suggestions/comments and I'll gladly take more. I know that ergonomics will probably end up playing the biggest factor but these are supposed to be something of a surprise for the GF; I do have a pretty good idea of what she likes, though.

Justin
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 15:38   #9
EnjoyTheView

Quote:
....but at present this 8x32 will primarily be a secondary binocular for me (when I'm just going on short strolls and not full birding surveys/trips) and a primarily binocular for my GF who wanted a small, compact bin to pack in her field bag.
You might consider Swarovski 8x25 Pocket CL instead for quality, or the Monarch 7 8x30 for price.
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 17:08   #10
denco@comcast.n

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 5.1 x 4.5 inches or Tract Toric 8x42 6.0 x 5 inches. Not too much bigger. Probably still fit in your field bag or luggage.
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 18:26   #11
cycleguy

I'd give the 8x30 group some consideration given your comment about wanting small and packable.

My .02,

CG
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 19:37   #12
Gijs van Ginkel

Justin, post 8,
I have tested different Meostars and Meopro's, the reports are published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. Look under "Verrekijkers" followed by "verrekijkers testen en vergelijken". Scroll along the different titles and you will find what you are looking for.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 20:08   #13
pete seaman

One of my favourite 8x32's is the Opticron Countryman which was my no.1 pair of birding bins until a recent eye problem caused me to have a rethink and a change of size and configuration. The Countryman is probably at the bottom end of the mid price range in the UK but some quoted here seem to range to me.
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 23:46   #14
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

Justin,

For the price, have you considered THESE ....would be hard to beat!

Ted
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 06:58   #15
jring

Quote:
I've owned the 8x30 EII and can attest to their amazing optical quality, but I could never quite get along with the very short eye-relief and still see the whole FoV, which was one of its biggest selling points IMO.
The question is, does your GF also wear glasses - if yes, question closed - if not, it's worth a thought... The optical quality and fun factor are hard to beat.

Joachim
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 07:08   #16
breydon

A good second hand Leica 8x32 BN Binocular icon
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 07:18   #17
stoop

I bought a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x32s a couple of years ago. The more I use them the more I love them. Mind you I had trouble with the first pair but after some dialogue and returning them, Zeiss replaced them here in Japan. The copy I have now is a treasure. I wear glasses and find them better than other binocs I've tried. They fit neatly in my bag and I always have them around my neck with my camera when birding. I also used them at some concerts.

http://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.com/
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 14:35   #18
adhoc

Stoop, What was the problem/s with that first binocular, and when was it made? With your 4,400+ posts it is pretty difficult to find your previous post/s on this (I did try) using the 'More Posts' facility. Thank you!
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 00:15   #19
chill6x6

Quote:
Chuck,
Is there anything you find the Viper HD 8x32 particularly lacking as compared to the Euro HD or Conquest HD? I've considered it as well and found a very good deal on a pair of them (less than half price of the others). I've owned the 6x32 and quite liked them but found them fairly limited due to the small magnification. As you know I've also owned many other quality 8x32s (Ultravid BR, Swarovision, Zeiss FL, Leupold Golden Ring) so I have an idea of what the highest quality provides, but I'm also not the most picky person since I'm more of a field surveyor by nature of my job and less of a true "stare at same bird for 30min to get perfect view of all feather and color details" birder.
Justin...
Not a thing wrong with the Viper HD.. Seriously...the binocular functions like it came out of the box several years ago. I think I paid about $500 at the time. It's been a really nice binocular. IMO...the Euro HD was slightly better optically....slightly larger FOV. The only real reason I didn't keep the Euro HD was the ER was SLIGHTLY short for me. The Euro HD is such a bargain right now, it would hard for me to pass up. You could probably always return it?? Just a thought...

Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 10:35   #20
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

I was leaning towards the Euro or Zeiss but ended up getting a pair of the 8x32 Viper HD for a very good price. I will try and compare them and see what I think, but in comparison to the SLC HD I am pleased with the view!
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:28   #21
chartwell99

Quote:

Justin
The Maven B3 8 x 30 is an amazing binocular which punches way above its weight. I own a Maven B2 9 x 45 which is even more amazing but full size binocular so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying a Maven B3 demo. I was so impressed, I kept the demo (which seemed identical to new but sold at a lower price and included a case) and sold my Meopta 8 x 32 Meostar, the previous reigning champ.
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:33   #22
chill6x6

Quote:
I was leaning towards the Euro or Zeiss but ended up getting a pair of the 8x32 Viper HD for a very good price. I will try and compare them and see what I think, but in comparison to the SLC HD I am pleased with the view!
Great! I think that was a solid choice for sure! Ebay has a couple of them in $390 range i see this am. That's a lot of binocular for that much money. REALLY would be hard to prove the Euro HD is worth $260 more...

Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:38   #23
chill6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell99 View Post
The Maven B3 8 x 30 is an amazing binocular which punches way above its weight. I own a Maven B2 9 x 45 which is even more amazing but full size binocular so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying a Maven B3 demo. I was so impressed, I kept the demo (which seemed identical to new but sold at a lower price and included a case) and sold my Meopta 8 x 32 Meostar, the previous reigning champ.
I'd probably still have the B3 IF it had a mm or two more ER... Nice optics...

Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:58   #24
Troubador

Quote:
Well done Justin, let us know what you think of them.

Lee
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 15:23   #25
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Great! I think that was a solid choice for sure! Ebay has a couple of them in $390 range i see this am. That's a lot of binocular for that much money. REALLY would be hard to prove the Euro HD is worth $260 more...
I actually got them new, from Cabela's, for just under $310. Great deal, not sure I've seen a better one in this price range.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: