Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 17:10   #226
Patrick_m

Thank you Mike and Pep. I will keep the Thekla tag on these photos then.
I recall it was a bit windy that day which would indeed explain the crest but I thought the bill could be the more significant tell-tale for id. I suppose this not the first species to show local variations as Mike explained.
Below is one of the Theklas that threw me off, IDed by call as she and her friends visited my garden and neighbouring fields quite regularly over the summer. She is a bit scruffy and may not be representative of Thekla in general. The whitish rim on the greater coverts is absent on the previous bird too. Not sure what that means.
Anyway, thank you for your input.
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_A8A3342 - Copy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	616253  
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 17:16   #227
Simon Wates

If its any help this last photo shows a juvenile with their lovely upperpart markings (looks like its plumage is late in its season and body feathers are worn or with adult ones coming through - they look very dapper just after fledging). The first two photos show adults - as Mike thinks all are Thekla for me.

Here's one: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tnih_SZ9W5...esina+(11).jpg

Last edited by Simon Wates : Thursday 23rd February 2017 at 17:22. Reason: pic link
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 18:17   #228
Patrick_m

Thank you Simon, very helpful. I should have looked at juvenile plumage more carefully.
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 18:58   #229
Mike Montier

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten just how cute the young birds are. The first juveniles I saw were at the Cap de Ses Salines and at the time, I had no idea what they were. They are great birds to see. Mike
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 19:51   #230
Graham Moffat

A few Crossbills and Firecrests at Son Real hide this afternoon but no sign of any Hawfinch. Barn Swallow flock (c30) feeding at the depuradora late afternoon had at least two Red-rumped with them.
Graham
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 08:02   #231
Mike Montier

Thanks Graham, February is a good month for Red-rumped Swallows. Bassa de can Guidet is normally one of the best places to see them and is well worth a visit at this time of the year. Mike
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 14:14   #232
Mcnswiss2

Afternoon visit to Maristany. Weather grey and overcast with rain drizzles.

Birds seen included: Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Kestrals, Yellow legged and Black headed gulls, Pochard and Red Crested Pochards, Gadwall, Shoverlers, Little Grebes, Mallard, Coots, Moorhens.etc

Cetti warblers, Chiffchaff, grey and white wagtails, Robins, Thrushes, Blackcaps etc.

Mass of Crag Martins feeding like crazy and maybe one House Martin but not counting this..are they arriving yet Mike?
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 14:34   #233
Mike Montier

Hi Mike, yes, I would imagine that there are a few on the island at the moment although I have not had any confirmation. I see them every year about now or even earlier in some years. You have seen a couple of species today that I need for the BigYear. I will hopefully be free the end of next week. Will you and Kevin still be here? Mike
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 14:34   #234
kevinh

Today at Porto Colom. Balearic warbler, Thekla lark and 6 House martins flew in from the sea then headed north. In the harbour R.B.Merganser, Turnstone and Little egret
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 16:11   #235
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
Mass of Crag Martins feeding like crazy and maybe one House Martin but not counting this..are they arriving yet Mike?
Hi,
Yes, they are arriving, I saw 7 last sunday and since then they are been seen here and there.
Old Friday 24th February 2017, 18:40   #236
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Mike, yes, I would imagine that there are a few on the island at the moment although I have not had any confirmation. I see them every year about now or even earlier in some years. You have seen a couple of species today that I need for the BigYear. I will hopefully be free the end of next week. Will you and Kevin still be here? Mike
Hi Mike

Have vistors next week but free on Sat.4 th..Are you up North to find the coot??
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 11:22   #237
ggshrike

Am heading to Mallorca Monday and staying in Port D'Alcudia. Any suggestions as to rare birds around? Missed out on spotless starlings and balearic Warbler last year.

PROBABLY using public transport but might hire car when out there!
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 13:59   #238
Clive Griffin

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I had forgotten just how cute the young birds are. The first juveniles I saw were at the Cap de Ses Salines and at the time, I had no idea what they were. They are great birds to see. Mike
Here is a really cute young Thekla - this was taken in June.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thekla Lark_7005.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	616495  
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 18:57   #239
Mike Montier

Thanks Clive, that demonstrates exactly what I meant. What a beautiful thing to see. Mike
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 18:59   #240
Mcnswiss2

A walk up the fishermans road ' pas del pescardors ' at Sant Vincente was very quiet - nice afternoon with little wind.
No balearic warblers seen or heard and only a few sardinian warblers seen.

A few blue rock thrushes but little else

Why so quiet?
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 19:03   #241
Mike Montier

Hi ggshrike. I hope the weather improves for you, it has been ghastly for a couple of days.
All bird news I get goes on here. A few migrants are coming through but nothing very rare in the last few days. Yellow wagtails, House martins and a few Red-rumped swallows. If you can get to Maristany it is worth a visit, one year there were two early Little crakes and you just never know. It's a great place for early migrants as are both Albufereta and Albufera.
Can Curassa is worth going to for Spotless Starlings, they can be seen on the wires or on the roofs of the houses where they nest.
Good luck and do let us know what you see. Mike
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 19:08   #242
Mike Montier

Hi Mike, it has gone a bit quiet, must be the weather.
I am dropping Jane off at the airport on Saturday the 4th but I could come straight on afterwards to meet up if you let me know where you will be. Hope to see you then, there will be more migration by then, promise! Mike
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 19:29   #243
Simon Wates

Quote:
.......What a beautiful thing to see.
Yes! that's the essence of birding, at least to me.
Old Saturday 25th February 2017, 21:08   #244
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Hi Mike, it has gone a bit quiet, must be the weather.
I am dropping Jane off at the airport on Saturday the 4th but I could come straight on afterwards to meet up if you let me know where you will be. Hope to see you then, there will be more migration by then, promise! Mike
Promises..promises..sounds good stay by your phone/ whats app etc and lets see whats around
Old Sunday 26th February 2017, 09:33   #245
ggshrike

Thanks for the reply Mike. Appreciated.

Will let you know how I get on

Regards

Rob
Old Sunday 26th February 2017, 14:58   #246
Mcnswiss2

Sunny Sunday around Albuferata and Can Cuarassa Road

No spotless starlings yet but great day for Raptors

Birds seen included: 6 Marsh Harriers, 2 Booted Eagles, 3 Kestrals, Red Kite and Osprey.

Other birds included Black winged Stilts, Great and Little Egrets, Cetti, Sardinian and fantailed warblers, Hoopoes, skylarks, meadow larks, stonechats, Common Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plovers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0491.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	616610  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	616611  
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 20:10   #247
Mcnswiss2

Trip to Airport

Visit to Bassa de Can Guidet failed to see any swallows

Looking for the White Stork at Son Ferriol

Failed again. But Nice Osprey, Red Kite and three Kestrels
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 20:18   #248
kevinh

Spent an hour in the hide at Son Real yesterday and only saw Great tit and Robin. Elsewhere on the reserve the usual common finches and thrushes as well as Firecrest, Wren, Dunnock and Sparrowhawk.
Today at Cami des Pols several Swallows and Sand Martins, Osprey, Yellow wagtail, Reed bunting, Moutached, Cettis and F.T warbler. Lots of Meadow pipits and common wader species.
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 20:43   #249
J Moss

Booted eagles were displaying vigorously over Binifarda today with perhaps two pairs, including males calling, displaying and wing-fluttering. A fantastic call, which had me looking up for an early Beeeater at first. Then an evening visit to Salobrar de Campos a good selection of the usual winter waders and some very vocal avocets and black winged stilts, plus at least 60 flamingos. The evening roost was highlighted by what was almost certainly a female type Pallid Harrier, a super slim and small bird with what appeared to be very clean unmarked underparts, but I would like to verify this as views were distant and the light poor. Also 20 marsh and 2 male Hen Harriers, all with the distraction of about 50 house martins, 10 swallows and 4 red rumped swallows overhead having a pre roost feed.
Old Monday 27th February 2017, 20:56   #250
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Booted eagles were displaying vigorously over Binifarda today with perhaps two pairs, including males calling, displaying and wing-fluttering. A fantastic call, which had me looking up for an early Beeeater at first. Then an evening visit to Salobrar de Campos a good selection of the usual winter waders and some very vocal avocets and black winged stilts, plus at least 60 flamingos. The evening roost was highlighted by what was almost certainly a female type Pallid Harrier, a super slim and small bird with what appeared to be very clean unmarked underparts, but I would like to verify this as views were distant and the light poor. Also 20 marsh and 2 male Hen Harriers, all with the distraction of about 50 house martins, 10 swallows and 4 red rumped swallows overhead having a pre roost feed.
It sounds idyllic!
Martin
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: