Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 19:43   #26
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Today I have been until the dark at the Depuradora de s'Albufera and I have got a nice present with this beautiful Scops owl.
Happy new year
Great photo Pep.

Martin
Old Saturday 7th January 2017, 22:06   #27
Mike Montier

Yes, a brilliant photo Pep. I hear them most nights but hardly ever see them. As I understand it, there is a resident population but they are joined by summer migrants which come to Mallorca to breed. I believe they arrive here quite early in the year, there certainly seem to be more from March onwards. Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 06:58   #28
Patrick_m

Indeed what a beautiful picture of a bird so difficult to photograph.
Well done Pep.
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 08:50   #29
eagle33
Craig Shaw

Awesome
Quote:
Today I have been until the dark at the Depuradora de s'Albufera and I have got a nice present with this beautiful Scops owl.
Happy new year
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 15:22   #30
Mcnswiss2

S' Albuferata

Its wonderful to be back in the Island - to leave the snow and cold of Switzerland.

First birder seen up the tower was Pep..can birding get any better?

The Flamingos are still there (60) and other great birds seen included northern pintail, osprey, lapwings, marsh harrier, spotted redshank, common sandpiper, black winged stilts, White Egrets, Hoopoes and Crag Martins.

It is great to be back. Hope we meet up soon Mike

Cheers

Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 15:28   #31
Mike Montier

Hi Mike and welcome back. Yes, I'm sure we can meet up, I am way behind the Bigyear already having had guests for the last two weeks. The White Stork is still being seen near the airport and I am just back from Porto Colom where there is a Razorbill and a Great Crested Grebe.
I am probably going to Son Real on Wednesday or Thursday to see if there are any Hawfinch so I will let you know. Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 15:28   #32
Mike Montier

Ps. I will bring the pies! Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 15:29   #33
bluechaffinch

Hello folks,

The wife and I are spending ten days on Mallorca between 11th and 21st April, 14 years on from our first and only visit to the island. Back then we were kid free and so I'm going to have limited time for pure birding, though still looking forward to that Mediterranean vibe and food. I wonder if someone could assist with a few queries please?

What do you think my chances of Eleonora's falcon are in that timeframe? Lifer for me and would dearly love to connect. I appreciate that chances would be better later on but is there an area where I might at least increase my chances?

Given one day of child-free birding (oh, one can dream...) What sites would you visit?

Is there a decent flora guide for Mallorca?

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 16:07   #34
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechaffinch View Post
Hello folks,

The wife and I are spending ten days on Mallorca between 11th and 21st April, 14 years on from our first and only visit to the island. Back then we were kid free and so I'm going to have limited time for pure birding, though still looking forward to that Mediterranean vibe and food. I wonder if someone could assist with a few queries please?

What do you think my chances of Eleonora's falcon are in that timeframe? Lifer for me and would dearly love to connect. I appreciate that chances would be better later on but is there an area where I might at least increase my chances?

Given one day of child-free birding (oh, one can dream...) What sites would you visit?

Is there a decent flora guide for Mallorca?

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan
Hi Tristan

I let Mike guide you to best sites.

Regarding Flora Guide try on ebay etc for Elspeth Becket Illusrated Flora of Mallorca..ISBN 978-84-273-0895-4

It may be out of print but it is a wonderful guide.

In the office/shop in Albufera they sell other guides

Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 16:22   #35
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Ps. I will bring the pies! Mike
I will be there!

Just let us know when you are going.

I have never seen blooming Balearic Warblers there and need your guidance

Cheers

Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 16:47   #36
Mike Montier

Hi Tristan. The guide Mike recommends, Elspeth Becket, is far and away the best one if you can get hold of a copy. It's still available here but only in Catalan. Other guides are for sale at the main reserve, Albufera.
Eleanora's Falcons typically arrive around 22nd/24th April so you are borderline. However, in recent years, the odd one or two have arrived earlier than this. I have seen them around the time of your arrival date both at Albufera and Son Real where several people saw one on the 2nd April. You will hopefully be lucky although it all depends on the year. It's a good time to be coming to the Island and there are lots of places to go which are good for all the family and good birding too, Son Real and Mortitx are two examples. Let me know if you need any further help with any species. This thread is always kept up to date though. Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 16:50   #37
Mike Montier

Hi Mike, blooming Balearics are difficult at Son Real but the platform near the beach is a good place, we can spend some time there eating pies and hopefully they will show.
Porto Colom is the best place, they show well there and Dartford warblers are easier there than elsewhere too. I will be in touch. Mike
Old Sunday 8th January 2017, 16:59   #38
bluechaffinch

Thanks both Mikes! It's the luck of the Easter school holiday draw...Will just have to keep an eye skyward and hope for some early birds.

Looks like the flora is tricky to obtain in English so may just use it as an excuse to delve into some Catalan.

Many thanks for the offer of assistance...I'll undoubtedly have some more queries nearer the time. Excited already!
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 08:28   #39
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnswiss2 View Post
I will be there!
I have never seen blooming Balearic Warblers there and need your guidance
Cheers
Mike
Saturday at the drink pool of Track 4 in Son Real i enjoyed this nice balearic warbler, pity the day was very dark and with few light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baixa.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	611183  
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 08:46   #40
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Saturday at the drink pool of Track 4 in Son Real i enjoyed this nice balearic warbler, pity the day was very dark and with few light.
NOOOOO. NICE one Pep.

Hope they are still thirsty!

Mike
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 09:23   #41
turntostone

Will be in Peurto Pollensa 14th-21st March.
Any one able to advise best places to see Orchid sp

Thanks
Gordon Stone
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 13:32   #42
Mike Montier

Hi Mike
How about we go to Son Real this Thursday and hopefully there will be a nice Balearic Warbler waiting for you at the drinking pool?
I hope Kevin can join us.
Meet in the car park at 10am?
Mike
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 13:33   #43
Mike Montier

A couple of hours spent at Salobrar de Campos this morning, over one hundred Flamingos, Little Stint, Sanderling, Dunlin, Grey Plover and Ruff. Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Monday 9th January 2017 at 13:54.
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 13:37   #44
Mike Montier

Gordon. Orchids are well represented on the Island. As you are in the north I guess the reserves of Son Real and Albufera should be good.
I know more about the south of the island as I live here but I will ask some of the locals and let you know what they say.
I believe that the Boquer Valley has a good selection of plants including some endemics and some orchids. Goats are a problem there though. I will let you know.
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 15:54   #45
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Mike
How about we go to Son Real this Thursday and hopefully there will be a nice Balearic Warbler waiting for you at the drinking pool?
I hope Kevin can join us.
Meet in the car park at 10am?
Mike
Brill

And the pies???
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 16:17   #46
Mike Montier

I will bring plenty of pies. Mike
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 16:32   #47
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Ferruginous duck

I've started the year with luck, today doing the yearly official count of waterfowl in the golf courses of Palma (Son Muntaner and Son Quint), in addition to normal birds, we have seen this beautiful ferruginous duck and one lesser black-backed gull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	079_Parda2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	611224  
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 19:30   #48
Michael Schade

Balearic Warbler

Dear all, dear Mike,

I promised, and here we go: This is the utimative-100%-chance-to-see-Sylvia-balearica-spot. Well, I am not kidding: I've been to this place near Portocolom about 30 times in five years, covering virtually every month of the year. And I have never dipped the Balearic Warbler at this location. When I went there a few days ago I saw three individuals.

Remark: I have never used any dummy sounds (I guess I do not need to ask everyone in this thread please NOT to use any audio songs or calls that would disturb this rare little friend of ours... ). All you have to do is stay at the spot marked with a yellow "A" for a couple of minutes. Don't move too much. Talking helps though, as well as "pshhhhh'ing", because this little bird is extremely curious. It will show up, I promise!

Name:	Karte Balearengras.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	611234

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you need to walk up the little trail that goes up from the coast to the place marked with the "A". It's about 120 m...

Seizing this opportunity: At the spot marked "B", I saw something that looked very much like Gavia stellata (Red-throated Loon) to me. The way it was pointing its bill was just perfect - and no: that was not a shag! Unfortunately (and that will never happen to me again on Mallorca), I was not carrying my spotting scope. My binos were just not good enough to eliminate the rest of doubt I had - so: I am definitely not ticking this one for the Big Year Mallorca But I encourage you to have a look...

Best regards, good birding,

Michael

Last edited by Michael Schade : Monday 9th January 2017 at 19:54.
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 19:31   #49
Michael Schade

Quote:
I've started the year with luck, today doing the yearly official count of waterfowl in the golf courses of Palma (Son Muntaner and Son Quint), in addition to normal birds, we have seen this beautiful ferruginous duck and one lesser black-backed gull.
Felicitaciones, Josep!

So far, I have not seen any Feruginous this year - yet ...

Best, Michael
Old Monday 9th January 2017, 19:51   #50
Michael Schade

Go bird watching with a friend...

... as everyone knows, four eyes see more than two. Six eyes see more than four, etc.

It's so easy and so true. Just mentioning this truism to thank you, Michael Montier, for encouraging me to go and see the Loon in Andraitx (went there still on the same day...) and for the Whimbrel in Colonia!

I wish the Mergus serrator (Red-breasted Merganser) had still been there, so I would have had something to offer you in return. I keep fingers crossed, so you still find one (or more) in 2017!

Best, Michael

This one's from Colonia de Sant Jordi beach (30 m from the Marisol restaurant), were it stayed at least from December 29, 2016 - January 2, 2017:

Name:	Mittelsäger Colonia San Jordi 2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	611238

Name:	Mittelsäger Colonia San Jordi 3.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	611239

Name:	Mittelsäger Colonia San Jordi.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	611236

Last edited by Michael Schade : Monday 9th January 2017 at 19:57.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: