Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 19:06   #951
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil turney View Post
Hi Mike
I will be at PP from the 21st June for a family holiday. I am very keen to add Nightjar and Woodcock to my list. Is there a good place for them near PP or should I plan on going down your way.
Many thanks
Phil
Hi Phil
I've heard Nightjar while moth trapping on the Es Comu dunes (part of the s'Albufera reserve). If you drive from the reserve towards Can Picafort you reach a large roundabout on the outskirts of that town (with a supermarket set back from the road on the right). Go right round and head back towards Alcudia and after a short distance there's a pull-off on the right with a few parking places. Park there and take the sandy path that leads towards to sea but take a left turn (blocked with a chain barrier) after a short distance. Walk along this path until the pines start to give way to more open, low vegetation. Stop there and listen, the Nightjars tend to call from the pines on the left, the ones llining the road on the inland part of the dunes.
Hope this helps
Martin
Old Thursday 8th June 2017, 20:02   #952
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin, I didn't know about that site. Just to add something else, the Nightjars in Mondrago start churring at 9.20 pm and usually show around 9.30pm. Mike
Old Friday 9th June 2017, 06:29   #953
phil turney

Nightjars

Cristina, Martin and Mike
Thank you all.
What an excellent forum!
Phil
Old Friday 9th June 2017, 15:27   #954
Mike Montier

I am still receiving reports that Spectacled warblers are being seen regularly at Cuber reservoir. Nobody I know personally has seen any there despite several visits. If anyone knows where exactly they are, could they please post here. I have only ever seen Moltoni's there. Thanks, Mike
Old Friday 9th June 2017, 15:54   #955
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I am still receiving reports that Spectacled warblers are being seen regularly at Cuber reservoir. Nobody I know personally has seen any there despite several visits. If anyone knows where exactly they are, could they please post here. I have only ever seen Moltoni's there. Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike
I saw a family group there but it was many years ago. They were just before the dam but before the area was planted up with pines.
Martin
Old Friday 9th June 2017, 16:47   #956
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Hi Mike
I saw a family group there but it was many years ago. They were just before the dam but before the area was planted up with pines.
Martin
Hello,
They were seen (completelly confirmed) by last time in 2013 there, just before the dam, but the trees and bushes has been growing and it seems they have abandoned the area, maybe going up the mountains because there are too much vegetation there now.
In the area there are several pairs of Sylvia subalpina (moltoni's warblers, but the locals from Majorca, not the typical from Europe, now known as Subalpine warbler) whom reklam is like a rattle-snake almost exact to the spectacled warbler.
Thanks
Josep

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Friday 9th June 2017 at 17:38.
Old Saturday 10th June 2017, 12:11   #957
Mike Montier

A nice morning at Salobrar de Campos with Michael Schade. One Glossy Ibis was the star, quite rare at this site. Three Water rails showing and 55 Flamingoes also present. Three Eleanora's Falcons flew through, all dark morph. They are never plentiful at the salt pans so they were a nice surprise.
The Western Reef Heron is still showing at times from Sa Roca hide, Albufera. Mike
Old Saturday 10th June 2017, 12:14   #958
Mike Montier

Thanks Pep and Martin. The reports I am receiving are all from this year. I suspect they are seeing Moltoni's as Pep suggests.
If I learn more, I will post on here. Mike
Old Monday 12th June 2017, 07:07   #959
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Hello!
Regarding to the Nightjars, just now, one birdwatcher (Gary) has told me he found a dead one in Camí de Llenaire yesterday, quite sure hitted by a car :(
This is not a good new but it means that some of them are in that area.

Cristina
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 21:13   #960
Paul - Herts
Paul Herts

Evening guys, not birding this year so no bins to use but saw what I am guessing were 5 Eleanora's falcons hunting over the beach at Camp de Mar this evening from about 9:30. I am assuming id on the basis that we have seen them here at this time of year whenever we have come and somebody on a previous year's thread said hobby are a rare sight on the island.

Paul
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 18:26   #961
Mike Montier

Hi Paul, yes, they would be Eleanora's, they like to hunt there in the evenings. Any Hobbies would have been and gone by now. A total of 17 Hobby came through the tower at Albercutx between the 12th and 23rd April with a maximum of 3 in any one day so they are long gone by now. Still a wonderful sight though Paul,seeing Eleanora's hunting is always special, they are true masters of the sky. Enjoy the rest of your holiday. Mike
Old Wednesday 14th June 2017, 18:30   #962
Mike Montier

It's all gone a bit quiet now and it's very hot too. A few hours spent at Albufereta produced little of note, a couple of Purple herons and the hybrid egret (garzetta/gularis) is still around. Two Spotless Starlings at Can Cuarassa. Mike
Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 21:51   #963
Mike Montier

It looks like Es Trenc beach and Salobrar de Campos have at last been designated a natural park and are therefore now protected. I hope my translation skills are correct. Congratulations to all involved, Salobrar is an amazing place with some wonderful birds so it's about time it was given full protection. Mike
Old Friday 16th June 2017, 11:12   #964
Ben Nevis

Quote:
It looks like Es Trenc beach and Salobrar de Campos have at last been designated a natural park and are therefore now protected. I hope my translation skills are correct. Congratulations to all involved, Salobrar is an amazing place with some wonderful birds so it's about time it was given full protection. Mike
Great News
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 10:04   #965
Mike Montier

A late Honey Buzzard through Menorca yesterday so still a bit of migration but it's generally quiet apart from a great selection of butterflies at the moment.
Returning waders should appear soon, best place would be Salobrar de Campos. I will be going in the next few days and will post. Still about 55 greater Flamingos there at the moment so quite a few stay all summer. Post breeders will also be returning soon and the numbers will gradually build up again. What a great site the salt pans are. Very hot here now. Mike
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 06:16   #966
Mike Montier

Three pairs of Osprey are confirmed breeding on Cabrera. Miguel informs me that the nests are not monitored but that adult survival rates are now higher. I'm not sure why this is but it's all great news. Mike
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 20:18   #967
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Hello everyone,

Coming out in just under a fortnight, very excited!

Just wanted to know if anyone had seen/heard Scops Owl at anywhere of the roost sites (Pollentia Park Hotel, Puig de Sant Marti etc). I am aware of a singing bird in Cala Sant Vicenc, but just want some confirmation as to whether these roosts are turning birds up or not.

Many thanks,
Luke
Old Wednesday 21st June 2017, 06:12   #968
Ben Nevis

I'm also over at the same time as Luke and would welcome any news on Scops Owl In the Puerto Pollensa area.
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 10:53   #969
Mike Montier

A Little tern has been seen at the depuradora, Albufera, quite a scarce bird here in Mallorca and I think this is the only sighting this year so far, last year was a good year with a few seen.
Also, Rock sparrow seen at their usual haunt at Cap Blanc. Mike
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 13:45   #970
rachk116

On more of a reaching holiday this year but still managed to fit a little bit of birding in. Went on a boat trip around the Formentor Peninsula, around to Cala St. Vincente. Had brilliant views of several Eleonora's Falcon at Cala Figuera. Also had 2 Booted Eagle, 4 Osprey and 2 Balearic Shearwaters (I think!! They didn't seem to be white underneath so I'm assuming they were Balearic rather than Scoploi's?).

I'd be interested in any Scop's Owl info although we only have tonight and tomorrow left.

Still love Mallorca but prefer the spring when it's a bit cooler and there are a few more birds.

Happy birding
Rach
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 14:08   #971
Mike Montier

Hi Rach, I hope someone can help with the two requests for Scop's owls sightings in the north, I only have information for the south.
Balearic Shearwaters vary so much from having very dingy underparts to white. Having white does not necessarily mean they are Yelkouan. As your birds were dingy, I would opt for Balearic, they are more common than Scopoli's at this time of the year. Balearics are much smaller than Scopoli's with faster wingbeats so I hope that helps.
Sorry about the weather, it's not normally this hot in June. Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Thursday 22nd June 2017 at 14:11.
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 15:22   #972
rachk116

Quote:
Hi Rach, I hope someone can help with the two requests for Scop's owls sightings in the north, I only have information for the south.
Balearic Shearwaters vary so much from having very dingy underparts to white. Having white does not necessarily mean they are Yelkouan. As your birds were dingy, I would opt for Balearic, they are more common than Scopoli's at this time of the year. Balearics are much smaller than Scopoli's with faster wingbeats so I hope that helps.
Sorry about the weather, it's not normally this hot in June. Mike
Thanks Mike,

I would say they were Balearic too having looked in my book back at the hotel. If I'd been quicker, I might have got a record shot of them on my phone!

As for the Scop's Owls, will they still be calling at dusk at this time of year? I know of the site near to the Pollensa Park but I understand this is no longer in use due to renovations to the Hotel they used to nest in. I also knew of one near the Villa Singala but I tried there last year and had no luck.

Thanks Rach
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 18:46   #973
johnraven

I saw two golden eagles at Cuber reservoir two days ago - clear as day. I thought they had died out on mallorca. have they come back? John
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 19:33   #974
honeym

The last Balearic Bird report that I have (2015) does list Golden Eagle as an extinct breeder (Mallorca).
There are also two sets of sightings:
On 29 March 2015 one was found dead (washed up) on the beach in Alcudia.
A series of sightings of the wild living female which escaped from a falconer in 2004.
Mallorca: Albufera. 1 female present 2-I (MUN), between April and July, and from October to 17-XII (RES, REU, VIC, TAIB, PNAM; MAC, LOP, BRC).
Albercutx watch tower, Pollença. 1 bird 28-III, 4, 5 and 10-IV (GORA).
Coll de Tirapeu, Pollença. 1 bird on 28-III, 2, 12 and 19-IV (QUN, ANR, TAP).
Coll des Coloms, Pollença. 1 bird 3-IV (MRN, GUF) and 1-V (ANR, NUE).
As a rarity I expect that a full description will be needed - but I'm sure others will mention this too.
Martin
Old Thursday 22nd June 2017, 21:42   #975
Graham Moffat

Quote:
A Little tern has been seen at the depuradora, Albufera, quite a scarce bird here in Mallorca and I think this is the only sighting this year so far, last year was a good year with a few seen.
Also, Rock sparrow seen at their usual haunt at Cap Blanc. Mike
Hi Mike
I saw a single Little Tern on 27 April on the main lago at Albufereta following a storm - I did post here at the time although I've not submitted the record.
Graham

Last edited by Graham Moffat : Thursday 22nd June 2017 at 21:45. Reason: Wrong date in original!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: