Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 14th February 2017, 18:27   #201
Mcnswiss2

Intersting article in Majorca Daily Bulletin about Twitchers

How many times have I dipped!

Im all in favour of comfort and internet sighting with GPS references so you can run over the bird....

Now where was that Storm Petrel???

Ps I am waiting and Susan has brought Pies!!
Old Thursday 16th February 2017, 17:53   #202
Mcnswiss2

Walk in Bocquer Valley.

Grand day but wildilfe very quiet.

Highlights included Booted Eagle and first Wyrneck of the year (at the enterence near the Finca)
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 08:44   #203
Mike Montier

Nice and sunny but with cool north easterly winds which is holding up further migration, no House Martins yet that I know of, I have normally seen them by now. A sea watch yesterday produced very little, no Shearwaters, just a few Gannets still. More to come soon I hope, Mike
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 16:26   #204
Patrick_m

S'Albufera this morning.
Water has receded, some 30cm lower than the maximum of 3/4 weeks ago.
Not much notable at Sa Roca, Shovelers, Teals, a couple Common Snipes, and a few Kentish Plovers.
At Es Cibollar I, 9 Marbled Ducks, 3 Pintails, Shovelers, Teals, BW Stilts, 2 Avocets, 3 Spotted Redshank, 1 Black-Tailed Godwit, Kentish Plovers, Cormorants.
A Great Crested Grebe on the Gran Canal

At Maristany, numerous Pochards, 3 Red-crested Pochard, Little Grebes, 1 Marsh Harrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_A8A9999.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	615428  
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 16:59   #205
Mcnswiss2

Around S'Albuferata this afternoon.

Pleasent walk not too many birds.

Mainly Serins, Meadow pipits, Goldfinches, Song Thrushes, etc

One interesting spot in orchard had linnets, greenfinches, serins, meadow pipits, cirl bunting and reed buntings.

A couple of Black Winged Stilts and Red Legged Partridges.
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 19:42   #206
kevinh

to Mike Montier

Hi Mike, I'm back out on Monday for 10 days so if you're available we can meet up. Maybe Mike Swiss can join us if available. See you soon
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 10:48   #207
ericvdbr

House Martins

Mike, I found 2 House Martins at Matisyahu at February 5th, looking for the Little Gull that I couldn't find...

Greatings,

Eric
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 15:03   #208
Mike Montier

Thanks eric, I thought there would be some somewhere.
Kevin, we have an endless stream of visitors for the next couple of weeks so it will be difficult to get away. If I can do it, I will give you are ring.
Some of the dedicated locals were at the tower, Albercutx today, a wee bit early but there were two Common Cranes past, quite a rare bird for that site. It will only get better each week so if anyone is passing, it's well worth a detour up there. The view is worth it alone. Mike
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 19:32   #209
Clive Griffin

Hi all, it's a long time since I contributed to this thread, but I'm back!
At the depuradora at Albufera on the 16th Feb and had my earliest record of a lone Barn Swallow and a Willow Warbler. Nothing else special - I was hoping for some Bluethroats!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Willow Warbler_0772.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	615569  
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 19:38   #210
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
Hi Mike, I'm back out on Monday for 10 days so if you're available we can meet up. Maybe Mike Swiss can join us if available. See you soon
Hi Kevin,

Also have visitors but should be free some days but not sure at the moment..keep in touch

Quite quiet today..afternoon walk in Pollensa.

Cirl buntings, Hoopoes, Thrushes, Robins, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Serins and Siskins seen as well as heard first wren calling

Mike S.
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 21:20   #211
J Moss

Hi Clive

This is a Chiffchaff I'm afraid. Dark legs, weak supercillium, subdued colours and short primary projection confirm it among other things. Would be rather early for Willow Warblers I would expect, though maybe Mike could give more information on their typical arrival dates on the island?

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Griffin View Post
Hi all, it's a long time since I contributed to this thread, but I'm back!
At the depuradora at Albufera on the 16th Feb and had my earliest record of a lone Barn Swallow and a Willow Warbler. Nothing else special - I was hoping for some Bluethroats!
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 22:25   #212
Mike Montier

Hi Jason, typical arrival dates are around 25th March so yes, this would be an unusual record. I hear all sorts of rumors of some species over-wintering in Mallorca so it's always hard to know which ones to believe. For me, primary projection rules this one out as a Willow Warbler.
Hi Clive, great news that you are back on the Island. It would be nice to meet up and hear all your news. As I have just said though, I am tied up for quite a few weeks. As soon as I am free I will be in touch.
A report of a Yellow Wagtail today. Mike
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 19:42   #213
Clive Griffin

Thanks Jason, I'm never 100% sure of a Willow Warbler, but this one has paler legs than normal chiff-chaffs, and seemed to me to show longer primary projection. I did compare the projection and was convinced it was a Willow. Here is a photo of the same bird which shows the leg colour better, and a definite Chiff-chaff taken on the same day. I would appreciate further comments.
Hi Mike, it would be great to meet up again - I look forward to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Willow Warbler_0764.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	615747  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiff-chaff_0725.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	615748  
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 20:23   #214
Mcnswiss2

Short visit to Depuradora at S'Albufera and S' Amarador.

Usual stuff including Marsh Harriers, Ospreys, Kestrals, Purple Swamp Hen, Water Rails, Common and Green Sandpiper.

No bluethroats (all lies) nor Barn Swallows or House Martins

So many Cettis Warblers

Nice to see the Orchids out again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	615749  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	615751  

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Sunday 19th February 2017 at 20:42.
Old Monday 20th February 2017, 17:34   #215
Mcnswiss2

Short trip to Son Real.

Quiet at the hide - birds seen included Serin, Great tits, Red Legged Partridge, Chaffinch, Chiffchaff and Crossbills.

No Hawfinch ( more lies )

Pheasant also heard.

Butterflies becoming more active - Cleopatra, Red Admiral, Speckled wood, Large White and Common Blue.

Small red dragonfly also seen at the pond.

Come on the Spring
Old Monday 20th February 2017, 19:19   #216
J Moss

Hi Clive

Hopefully the attached annotated pic of yours will help. Now is a great time of year to really get to grips with the variation in chiffchaffs around Mallorca, as they do vary a lot. However, if you try to take as many features as possible and use them in combination, things will be easier. You can also safely assume that they are all chiffchaffs at this time of year. You would be rather (un)lucky to find a willow warbler right now to confuse them with.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Griffin View Post
Thanks Jason, I'm never 100% sure of a Willow Warbler, but this one has paler legs than normal chiff-chaffs, and seemed to me to show longer primary projection. I did compare the projection and was convinced it was a Willow. Here is a photo of the same bird which shows the leg colour better, and a definite Chiff-chaff taken on the same day. I would appreciate further comments.
Hi Mike, it would be great to meet up again - I look forward to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chiff ID.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	615898  
Old Monday 20th February 2017, 20:07   #217
Mike Montier

Many thanks Jason, your contributions on here are very helpful and I appreciate them very much. I have learnt a lot and I am sure many others have too. I do see hundreds of Chiff-chaffs here in winter and they are, as you say, very variable. I will give them more attention in future! Mike
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 12:17   #218
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Many thanks Jason, your contributions on here are very helpful and I appreciate them very much. I have learnt a lot and I am sure many others have too. I do see hundreds of Chiff-chaffs here in winter and they are, as you say, very variable. I will give them more attention in future! Mike
Hello,
for me it's a common chiffchaff but I agree with you about that their variability makes me doubt a lot sometimes :)
Be aware with Iberian Chiffchaff
This last one is very difficult to identify on the field but the times I have seen them in hand they look to me a mixt between common chiff-chaff and willow warbler.
Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollenša
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 12:19   #219
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Red-rumped swallow

Hello again,
a lonely red-rumped swallow has visited la Gola for a while this morning!
Regards,
Cristina.
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollenša
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 15:25   #220
Clive Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Hi Clive

Hopefully the attached annotated pic of yours will help. Now is a great time of year to really get to grips with the variation in chiffchaffs around Mallorca, as they do vary a lot. However, if you try to take as many features as possible and use them in combination, things will be easier. You can also safely assume that they are all chiffchaffs at this time of year. You would be rather (un)lucky to find a willow warbler right now to confuse them with.

Jason
Thanks for your annotation Jason - I see now that the primary projection does suggest Chiff-chaff. Unfortunately this is often difficult to assess in the field. I think the leg colour threw me - none of the field guides mention fleshy coloured legs, only "dark" and many Chiff-chaffs show dark grey to black legs. And the Collins Guide says Willow Warbler legs can be almost as dark as Chiff-chaffs. Still, all this variation keeps us guessing and sharpens our ID skills. I have Mallorca records for Willow from 8th March in Mallorca, but I think now these may be mis-identification!
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 17:32   #221
kevinh

Today at Formentor viewpoint Alpine accentor, Blue rock thrush, Balearic warbler, Crag Martin, Black redstart and Sardinian warbler.
At Albufereta I watched an Osprey catch a fish. Great white egrets there and Booted eagle.
Highlights at Albufera were my first Yellow wagtail of the year, Kingfisher Grey wagtail, 8 Avocets and 4 Sandwich terms.
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 18:21   #222
Mcnswiss2

Tramuntana Visit

Lluc, Mortitx and surroundings.

Birds seen included 6 Ravens, 5 Black Vultures and 11 Griffon Vultures.

Other birds seen included Blue Rock Thrush, Crag Martins, Goldfinches, Thrushes, Serins, Sardinian Warbler, and several Wrens.

Interesting that wrens start to be very active.
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 18:36   #223
Patrick_m

Going through some photographs I took last year, in this case taken at Son Bosc on May 14th, I rediscover these photos of a lone lark that I had labeled as Thekla's at the time. A second look at Collins guide and internet sources, I wonder if it could possibly be a Crested Lark. Longer and thinner bill than Thekla's, higher crest. I have recently photographed Thekla's in my neighbour's field (identified by call) and I can see some notable difference.
Problem is there are no records in the 2014 or 2015 editions of the Balearic Bird Report which should in itself be a deterrent to ask but given the thorough response on the Chiffchaff, I thought I'd take advantage of anyone's input and learn something.
Thank you
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_I5A2526 - Copy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	616161  Click image for larger version

Name:	_I5A2535 - Copy.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	616162  
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2017, 20:06   #224
Mike Montier

Hi Patrick. I hope you get a good response. The crest does indeed look more like Crested but I know of no accepted records of Crested Lark here in Mallorca, certainly not in my time.
The bill does look longer but as I understand it, Mallorca birds do have longer bills than elsewhere in Europe. The chest streaks look more Thekla to me, they are sometimes referred to as like a felt tip pen. I have also read somewhere about the projection of the first primary but I am getting out of my depth so I hope someone with more knowledge than me will comment. Good luck, an interesting bird. Mike
Old Thursday 23rd February 2017, 12:35   #225
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Hi Patrick,
I think it is a Thekla Lark, not very diferent than most of the theklas you can find in Majorca, maybe the crest is a little bit up, but it can be produced by wind.
Regards
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: