Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 21st January 2006, 03:09   #1
lassa8

Birding in Monterey, CA

I just found out today that I'll probably be going to a conference at Asilomar on the Monterey Peninsula in California in mid-March. Are there any good sites about birding out there? I won't have much time, but I should be able to walk around in the mornings before the meetings start. Are there any common western birds I should have a good shot at seeing? I've never really birded west of central Missouri...
Old Saturday 21st January 2006, 04:06   #2
Kolya
Kolya

Elkhorn Slough and Moss Landing

There are some spots around the peninsula. This has been my best experience.This is about 10 minutes north on Route 1 . . direct highway . . Elkhorn Slough.

Good place for all kinds of sandpipers and egrets. I like the Pacific Turnstones. Curlews and Godwits and such at the right time of year . . not sure what to expect in March . . might be some migratories there . . .rent a kayak and go back in the Slough, Pelicans and even sea otters are seen here.

They have a thorough and up to date website: http://www.elkhornslough.org/index.html

Cheers (and report back!),

Kolya

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st January 2006, 04:14   #3
jcwings

Be sure to check out Joe Morlan's website which has a good selection of Monterey County birding links:

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/mty.htm
Old Tuesday 24th January 2006, 23:51   #4
sbrasuel

Arrow useful websites

California bird digest - posts for listservs around Ca. MBB isMonterey Bird Box
http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

and
http://www.montereyaudubon.org/

have a great time
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassa8
I just found out today that I'll probably be going to a conference at Asilomar on the Monterey Peninsula in California in mid-March. Are there any good sites about birding out there? I won't have much time, but I should be able to walk around in the mornings before the meetings start. Are there any common western birds I should have a good shot at seeing? I've never really birded west of central Missouri...
Old Saturday 24th February 2007, 22:18   #5
DonStarks
grizzled California vet

Point Pinos

Monterey has rocky coast as well as sandy beaches. March is an excellent time. If you have a car you can go further afield such as Elkhorn Slough (at Moss Landing). Anyway, Pt. Pinos State Reserve is just south of Carmel and has breeding Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants so easy to separate. Also breeding Western (Northern race) Gulls. If you go to Pacific Grove beaches and rocky coasts you should get up to nine common gulls, both turnstones, Whimbrel, Black Oystercatcher, etc. It's a good place to visit as well as bird. Have fun.
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 00:04   #6
emupilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonStarks
Monterey has rocky coast as well as sandy beaches. March is an excellent time. If you have a car you can go further afield such as Elkhorn Slough (at Moss Landing). Anyway, Pt. Pinos State Reserve is just south of Carmel and has breeding Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants so easy to separate. Also breeding Western (Northern race) Gulls. If you go to Pacific Grove beaches and rocky coasts you should get up to nine common gulls, both turnstones, Whimbrel, Black Oystercatcher, etc. It's a good place to visit as well as bird. Have fun.
I think you mean Point Lobos State Reserve, south of Carmel. Point Lobos is good for Pygmy Nuthatch as well. Point Pinos is in Pacific Grove and is excellent for Oystercatchers. I agree with the recommendations for Moss Landing as well. Watch for the sign to turn left and go through Moss Landing proper (before you reach the power plant) and work your way north through the tiny town to the inlet of Moss Landing harbor. The harbor is excellent for loons, grebes, sea otters, and I've seen Common Murre there too. The Elkhorn Slough reserve, a few miles inland from the power plant, has water birds and some typical land birds. The trails into state parks south of Carmel like Garrapata and Andrew Molera can be good for things like California Thrasher, Wrentit, and other land birds.
Old Sunday 25th February 2007, 16:03   #7
DonStarks
grizzled California vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by emupilot
I think you mean Point Lobos State Reserve, south of Carmel. Point Lobos is good for Pygmy Nuthatch as well.
My bad. You're right and my own back yard, too. Senior moment.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: