Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 10:16   #251
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

beers and Blakeney

Tim - Could be tempted by a couple in the Alex on Thursday, but won't make it to Reepham.

Did the point yesterday pm. Very quite despite slightly more promising weather charts. Barn Owl, Winchat, and juv peregrine were new Blakeney birds for me, also a couple of spotshanks in pools on the way up. Nothing rare though. Lots of gannets, guillies and sterns etc feeding very close in - desperation due to poor feeding conditions out at sea? Some of the looked on their last legs.

p.s. added later - can be a bit tough going on the shingle, but there's fairly good paths most of the way from half way house. Stick to the top near the swada (good for migrants) where it's firmer or time it so you can walk along the beach at low tide. I tend to time it to go up through the Swada and down along exposed beach looking for seabirds, when I'm bored of migrant hunting. It seems like a fairly easy walk then.

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Wednesday 4th October 2006 at 12:03.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 11:29   #252
Norfolkbirder
Vizmigger

Norfolk birding

Siskins over the house (nr Reepham) at dawn last two mornings running, anyway else picking them up??

Chris
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 14:59   #253
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Lunchtime birding - 3 Goshawks over the Nunnery Reserve in Thetford today.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 16:38   #254
PYRTLE

A couple of lines of Pinkfeet this afternoon heading west over Wiverton....nearly winter guys and gals - dig them thermals out.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 18:21   #255
dbradnum

Blue morph Snow Goose at Holkham for the last couple of days with 3000+ pinks, and a Greenland White-front there today.

Winter undoubtedly on its way... but let's have some sibes first!

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 18:36   #256
Helenelizabeth2
What?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke
Hi Kstar

Its 5 miles each way to Blakeney Point and is hard going on the shingle if the tide is high, but it really is worth the walk though, as long as you have a rucksack full of goodies, eg chocolate etc!

I think the large flocks of geese you saw at Holkham were probably Pink Feet as well as grey lag, as they have started to arrive now, but I don't go to Holkham that often, I am sure a BF member who knows/goes to Holkham regularly will be able to tell you if the pink feet were there that day. (See Kstar's Post No 240 re: geese query).

Best Wishes Penny
Hi, KStar. Willbowell, Pink Hotel and I were there on the same day as you and there were quite a few Pink Feet in amongst the Greylags. Didn't do a count though so can't say how many.

Helen

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 19:19   #257
David Norgate

The blue-phased Snow Goose is still present today ay Holkaham (per RBA) with 3000 Pink-feet, Greenland Whitefront, Barnicle and Pale-bellied Brent - the hybrid Pink-foot and Ross's is also presnt, so beware when looking for the Snow Goose.

Also had two swifts (common!) over Derham today with 3 House Martin - my latest ever record in Norfolk.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2006, 19:32   #258
Jono L

If anybody is interested, I had 2 Slavs with 2 Red-necked Grebes on the sea at Holkham on Saturday 30th Sept. We also had a single Firecrest in the pines near that big pond.
Cheers
Jono Leadley
www.indybirder.com
Old Friday 6th October 2006, 10:38   #259
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Have seen small numbers of Pink-feet for the last 10 days flying NW-SE and vice-versa over the house here; Happisburgh is en route between the Broads and the north Norfolk marshes. Goldcrests have appeared in the garden too but no sign of Siskins yet though.
It's good to see a Norfolk thread as the 'no. 1' birding county doesn't seem to have a dedicated website as do some others around the country.

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Friday 6th October 2006, 21:02   #260
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

spent the day touring around the north east coast today with my very tolerant (they need to be don't they!) non birder friend (who happens to drive:)).

highlights at sea palling

two red throated divers
sanderling
ringed plover
arctic skua
sandwich turns (8)

by coincidence we found the very fine little bird hide in the dunes just as the heavens opened,after sheltering here we indulged in some cholesterol replacement therapy and moved on to hickling broad/stubb mill.

not having enough time to wonder around hickling we made straight for stubb
mill,just in time to watch..

18 cranes
12 marsh harrier
1 barn owl
and countless numbers of geese!

all this happening in front of a perfect broadland full moon,we also had the whole place to ourselves!

matt

Last edited by matt green : Saturday 7th October 2006 at 11:46.

Old Friday 6th October 2006, 21:16   #261
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green
spent the day touring around the north east coast today with my very tolerant (they need to be don't they!) non birder friend (who happens to drive:)).

all this happening in front of a perfect broadland full moon,we also had the whole place to ourselves!

matt
Hi Matt
Glad you had a good day, wow you saw the cranes!!!, they really are beautiful. Yes, wonderful advantage, birding in the week, no so many people about.
Best Wishes Penny
Old Friday 6th October 2006, 21:24   #262
Happisbirder

[QUOTE
and countless numbers of geese!
[/quote]

Hi Matt,
Sounds like you had a good day. Spent most of mine clearing out the garage! Did get some geese at dusk though as about 500 Pinks in 3 skeins headed into Broadland. It happens every year but is still a magical sight and sound.

James

Old Saturday 7th October 2006, 19:26   #263
Karl J

Nice one Matt

took my shiny road bike out for my Saturday afternoon ride up Horsey & Waxham - saw several hundred (000 ?) Pinkfeet around, plus a good few plovers & Lapwings etc

4 then 3 more Cranes over the treeline from Horsey Mill mid afternoon and 2 harriers buzzing the ducks

done a couple of quick loops around the windfarm, Hemsby & Winterton but didn't see the Pallid Harrier, but then again i wasn't really looking too hard. Still some House Martins in Hemsby.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th October 2006, 23:05   #264
Penny Clarke

Birding today at Holme

I arrived at Holme 7.40am (Sat 7th October), the tide was very high (6.51am - 8.2) and was crashing into the dunes, it was spectacular and wild.

High tide for Sunday 7.34am - 8.5, Monday 8.16am - 8.5 and Tuesday 8.59am - 8.2 if anyone is interested.

Seawatching produced 9 gannets, 9 shelduck going west, shearwater??? at 7.50am going east, 200+ knot, 95 bar tailed godwits, 7 common scooter, 1 grey plover, oystercatchers, sanderling, 1 ringed plover, 24 brent geese going west, 1 greenshank, 2 grey wagtails over dunes and a sparrowhawk. From gorse/elderbushes at Holme Bird Observatory, 1 goldcrest, lots of blue tits, great tits, several coal tits, greenfinches, chaffinches, goldfinches, 2 robins, several wrens. Over marsh: several hundred pink feet, kestrel, 1 little egret. Lots of Red Admirals feeding on blackberries, also 2 commas, and 2 painted ladies. Lots of dragonflies including migrant hawker which I photographed! Lots of skylarks.

Redwell Marsh - 4pm: Several hundred pinkfeet, lots of jackdaws, 37 linnets, 6 teal.

Holme Marsh Reserve - 4.45pm: Several pairs of ruddy duck, 17 grey lags, 19 Egyptian geese, 55 wigeon feeding quite close to hide, and a hare. Lovely sunny day but crap for migrants!!!!!!
Old Sunday 8th October 2006, 08:55   #265
David Norgate

Tried to relocate the Snow Goose yesterday, but to no avail, but did find a good number of Pink-feet by Peterstone Priory Farm NE of Burnham Market, which included a Barnicle.

However, a question: Is Norfolk the last port of call for these Pink-feet or do they ever move on? A friend suggested that early birds might go across to Holland etc, but I wouldn't have thought so. Any ideas? or is the Snow Goose still out there somewhere in Norfolk waiting to be refound?!
Old Monday 9th October 2006, 23:40   #266
Penny Clarke

Birding today at Holme

Monday 9th October

Had a day's holiday today

Arrived for high tide at 8.15am. Would like to have arrived earlier but had my sister with me who does not birdwatch/get out of bed early!!! Saw a couple of eiders flying west, few cormorants, thats about it as wasn't allowed to stand seawatching for more than a few minutes!!!! Heard a Cetti's Warbler at the bottom of Thornham bank, several skylarks, brent geese over the lavendar marsh, some shoveler and little grebes on broad water. Back at HBO after chit chat with Jed and Sophie and tea (Warden and AW). Cattle Egret at Blakeney Fresh marsh came up on the pager while we sat drinking tea. Walked along the bank and saw lots of bird movement in bushes, Jed and Sophie came and joined us, saw a male blackcap, chiffchaff, goldcrest x 2, 2 grey wagtails flew over, 3 kingfishers flew across broadwater. On way out along Firs Road just before 5-bar gate had fantastic view of male Stonechat sitting on top of bramble in the sunshine (much better than being at work!). Went home for family fish 'n' chips lunch! (from Vegas, Hunstanton). After '40 winks' went on to Titchwell (by myself!). Couldn't believe it, there were loads of people here and was shocked that I couldn't get in 1st carpark! I noticed in the diary in the centre that someone had seen a Cory's Shearwater yesterday (Sunday). Saw all usual waders, plus lots of skeins of pinkfeet adorning the blue skies, brent geese on scapes settling in nicely along with everything else, wigeon, 1 egyptian goose, a curlew eating a freshwater crab! (fascinating to watch), 2 curlew sandpipers and on the sea, 1 guillimot, 2 red necked grebes, common scooter (tide on the return but still a long way out). Left Titchwell, picked up sister (dropped her off at parents) drove home, jam sandwich, 'corrie', Autumn Watch (getting fed up with the deers and I am a Simon King fan!!!!), Birdforum

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 10th October 2006 at 18:19.
Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 00:35   #267
Penny Clarke

Looking at accuweather.com this week/weekend should be a brilliant time for migrants, lots of easterlies etc etc. So anyone thinking of coming to Norfolk this weekend, this should be the BIG one, perhaps Friday 13th will be lucky!!!!!!
Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 07:42   #268
hollis_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke
Looking at accuweather.com this week/weekend should be a brilliant time for migrants, lots of easterlies etc etc. So anyone thinking of coming to Norfolk this weekend, this should be the BIG one, perhaps Friday 13th will be lucky!!!!!!
That's great news. Am heading up to the north coast on Friday with Didi (it's her first trip up there).

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 11:07   #269
r2didi2
photo fisher

As Frank says, it's my first trip to Norfolk - I was excited enough about it before I read what Penny says below! How to concentrate on working for the next few days? ;-)

Didi

Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 12:37   #270
Happisbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2didi2
As Frank says, it's my first trip to Norfolk - I was excited enough about it before I read what Penny says below! How to concentrate on working for the next few days? ;-)

Didi
I don't get the chance to go birding as much these days but the weather certainly looks good for the weekend/next week. If the all the conditions are right then the birding can be awesome. Fingers crossed, I'll break free and see what I can find!

Have a good trip to Norfolk and I hope it all happens for you.

James

Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 12:50   #271
dbradnum

A few more bits and bobs about in the county this morning:

- at least 1 (poss 2) white-rumped sands in the Cley / Salthouse area
- Cattle Egret at Blakeney
- Richards Pipits are starting to move through (one over Burnham Overy) - listen for the schreeeep!

and a Radde's in Suffolk suggests that the sibes may be on their way as well. Friday looks like the best day judging by the latest BBC forecast. Looking further ahead, from Friday onwards the forecast includes a significant easterly component for about a fortnight!

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th October 2006, 18:24   #272
Penny Clarke

Also a Snowbunting at Holme and the Red Backed Shrike still at Stifkey Fen.

Frank and Didi - hope you have a BRILLIANT weekend here in Norfolk

Best Wishes Penny

Old Wednesday 11th October 2006, 09:12   #273
r2didi2
photo fisher

Thanks for the good wishes Penny and James :-) Only 2 days to go 'till we're off!

Apart from everything else, will be thrilled to see/hear a Richard's pipit - thanks for the info dbradnum.

Was interesting watching Autumnwatch about migration last night - those flocks of knot were amazing!

Didi

Old Wednesday 11th October 2006, 10:12   #274
Jane Turner

I shall be making my once every 15 year trip to Norfolk on Friday..... so watch out!

Last Cheshire Surf Scoter (310) last Red Rocks Subalpine Warbler (260), last Garden Great White Egret (208), last Self-found Citrine Wagtail (294)

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th October 2006, 11:33   #275
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Turner
I shall be making my once every 15 year trip to Norfolk on Friday..... so watch out!
Now theres a digiscoping challenge!

matt

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: