Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:21   #101
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker
Anyone seen the Yellow-winged Darters, yet? Any photos?
Yellow-winged? where? I feel a twitch coming on.

Incidently this was posted this morning on another forum :"I was in Boulogne yesterday on a day trip. Whilst I was there,I noticed many hundreds of butterflies, mainly fritillaries, heading north out across the Channel towards Britain"
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:25   #102
Edward woodwood

Buxton Heath

walk east from car park

by the stream

there will be people there this morning i imagine

Tim
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 08:49   #103
postcardcv
Super Moderator

I thought I'd join the thread as I finally managed to get out birding this weekend, first time in about a month...

Female red-necked phal at Titchwell for the last couple of days, sticking to the freshmarsh, showing distantly, but well enough.

Yesterday morning at Cley - 6 spoonbill, 3 green sand, 2 lrp, Med gull, a few yellow-legged gulls and pleanty of other stuff too... including loads of marsh harriers, seems they've had a good year there.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 09:19   #104
Edward woodwood

Hi Postie

good to hear you're getting a bit of free time again!

also a YW Darter at Hoe Rough

lots of nice waders on coast - try Snettisham or Titchwell. Plenty of Spot Reds yeaterday and lots of summer plum knots / Sanderlings knocking about

cheers to Dave Deboo, his long suffering wife and Pete Duxon for letting me look thru their scope at the phal, breaking the Titchwell code of hide silence, and keeping me entertained for an hour. Thanks for not mentioning my incompetence with tripods too Dave...

Tim
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 10:33   #105
deboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
Thanks for not mentioning my incompetence with tripods too Dave...

Tim
Oh yes, forgot about that! Everyone should recognise you out birding....
Tim has an original 1875 model Manfrotto 'Bakolite and Balsa' Tripod.
It takes him so long to erect it (oooerr), that all the birds become extinct.

:)

dave...

p.s. where did you b****r off to? I went back to the shop to give you a mix cd.
Ah ha...just answered me own question! hahahaha
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 10:39   #106
Edward woodwood

sorry Dave

didn't realise... you can bring it next time you're over, we'll exchange cds in the pub!

off to the YW Darter now... might see Petey D...

then home to Derbys and a day in Cumbria for a butterfly tick, filthy twitcher that i am...

back Thurs... keep the Norfolk pages tickin over peeps

Tim
Old Sunday 23rd July 2006, 11:44   #107
Adey Baker

YW Darter reported on Birdguides at Buxton Heath at 12:10 and another in Suffolk: Lowestoft; Yellow-winged Darter in the orchid meadow at Dunston Meadows, behind Tesco in Great Yarmouth Road

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th July 2006, 19:20   #108
Gordon

Hi,

can anyone tell me exactly where "Rush Hill" is? I think I saw it mentioned but it must have been in another thread relting to Norfolk.

You might think this a bit cheeky - if you do I understand - but could anyone PM me the site for the Monty's? Leaving for Burnham Deepdale early Wednesday.

thanks
Gordon
Old Monday 24th July 2006, 20:55   #109
Karl J

up the lane (Church Lane, not Marsh Rd) from potter heigham church Gordon, then where the lane takes a sharp left theres a footpath leading away to the right along the edge of a field. Next you'll take a left turn to go between 2 fields and then go over a stile and through the trees. At the 'T junction' turn right and you'll come to a hide after a while ... takes about 20 minutes to walk from the church (you'll have to ask someone else about parking though cos i dunno)

but having a look at OS 134 (Norwich & the Broads) may be easier than following those directions .... its at TG423 209

or if that makes no sense whatsoever gis a PM and i'll type something more out

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 24th July 2006, 21:13   #110
pduxon
Quacked up Member

its curious that I drove out of my way to find a black darter and a norfolk hawker but couldn't be arsed to drive 5 miles to Gilston ...

anyway Black Darters at Dersingham bog in pond. Nightjars showing very well previous night. midges a right git

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Monday 24th July 2006, 22:47   #111
dbradnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J
(you'll have to ask someone else about parking though cos i dunno)
Park on the grass triangle at Potter Heigham church - be aware that this is slightly sensitive on Sundays when there's a service there.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th July 2006, 10:21   #112
Gordon

Cheers Karl J and dbradnum

Gordon
Old Thursday 27th July 2006, 16:14   #113
Karl J

Had a bit of a look down at Breydon this morning... don't suppose it'll have them turning up by the bus-load but it was nice enough & these are what i reckoned on

Oystercatcher - 120
Avocet - 380
Black Tailed Godwit 330
Curlew - 250
whimbrel - 1
Golden Plover - 21

shelduck - 10
Little Egret - 4
Turnstones - 3
Ringed Plover - 7
Dunlin - 160
Redshank - 120?
Spotted Redshank - 2
Lapwings - 15
Shelduck - 10

Cormorants, gulls, Common & Sandwich Terns spread about too & 1 Sparrowhawk

Tide table here but add about 2 hours on - 1 allowing for the tide to run from Britannia Pier & 1 for GMT

And don't park in Asda for more than 3 hours* or your car will get a ticket (unless the pikeys get it first)

(* = doesn't apply to cyclists )

Last edited by Karl J : Thursday 27th July 2006 at 16:17.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 28th July 2006, 15:35   #114
Edward woodwood

at least 5 Yellow-winged Darters at Strumphaw

and a cracking Lesser-spotted Pecker

some nice plants including Bladderwort by the info centre

several Painted Ladys at Horsey, Silver Ys everywhere.... and a couple of unidentified darters. And a cracking pint in the Nelson's Head

Tim
Old Tuesday 1st August 2006, 19:42   #115
postcardcv
Super Moderator

In case it had passed people by there's been a pec sand at Titchwell for the last two days...

I saw it yesterday evening, not showing very well, but easy enough. Plenty of other stuff around too - wood sand, green sand, curlew sand, spotted redshank, garganey and med gull, along with all the usual stuff.

Last edited by postcardcv : Tuesday 1st August 2006 at 19:49.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 1st August 2006, 20:12   #116
mooskibaby

When i go to Norfolk i go to a place called Cley nature reserve it's near Weybourne and Sheringham.
I went there about 1 and a half years ago (been since though) and 2 bitters flew right in front of the hide in the space of 10 minutes the view was amazing you didn't need binoculars for that they were just to close for binoculars.
Old Tuesday 1st August 2006, 20:16   #117
mooskibaby

Also near Cley there is a place called east bank and that is a really good place to see Bearded tits. I heard them there, but i didn't seem them, mind you it was a little to windy for them. They hate the wind and stay covered in the bottom of the reeds even if there is a little bit of a breeze.

Another place to go is Titchwell nature reserve for the first time i saw bearded tits and that was in may 2006.
I also saw some spoonbills there as well when i was coming back from my holiday from Norfolk where i saw the bitterns i was telling you about.

Last edited by mooskibaby : Tuesday 1st August 2006 at 20:18. Reason: spelling error
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 11:04   #118
HarassedDad

Called into strumpshaw yesterday - got wet. Amazingly enough no yellow-winged darters! Did get two lovely swallowtails though. Saw Migrant,Southern, Ruddy, a single Emerald damselfly and one blue-tailed. I think that's the lowest dragonfly count I've ever managed there!
Green sands showing very well from the tree hide, as was a kingfisher that spent ages perched right in front of the hide. Smashing.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2006, 21:08   #119
Edward woodwood

Loads of terns at Breydon currently, including two Roseates and hundreds of Sandwich. Many Meds there too

A good wader passage has started, been out a few times this week and seen lots of Ruff, Spot Reds, Dunlins, Green Sands, Whimbrels on the move, along with Pec. Sand at Titchwell, Buff-breasted recently at Hickling and the odd Wood Sand here and there.

Was a report of a adult Roseate Tern at Cley this morning... described to me as having a white forehead and shortish all-black bill... sounded a bit like a young Arctic? Anyone got details?
Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 10:56   #120
keithyed

went to minsmere tues very dry so no waders ,all 4 terns about tho,common,sandwich,little ,arctic,and rosys.-early mornings only for rosys tho
also several views of bitterns flying, probably due to 9 nests this year.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 16:38   #121
Edward woodwood

ferocious wind on the north coast today. Could hardly stand on the beachtop...

seabird passage pretty good along the north coast... a few Long-taileds, several Manx and lots of Arctic Skuas, single Balearic, a few Sooties, Whimbrel; etc...

might be worth a bash early tomorrow, but somewhere with some shelter!

Arctic Terns reported on Arnold's Marsh...3 adults and 3 juvs. I only saw the same 1st summer that was there yesterday...

Tim
Old Friday 4th August 2006, 18:14   #122
Edward woodwood

not so good this morning

Pom early past Sheringham, scoters, eider, whimbrel, but nothing like yesterday as the wind had dropped considerably overnight. 1s Caspian Gull at Cley, 2s at Salthouse, plenty of michs there too. Couple of Wood Sands but not much else.

Tim
Old Monday 7th August 2006, 13:55   #123
RobinD

Hello Norfolk Birders!
I am coming up to Norfolk for a two week family holiday next saturday. The first week is at the top edge of the Broards, the second based at Heacham (Don't ask, the holiday cottage company double booked!). The benefit of this is that we will have plenty of opportunity to explore the county. I have only been in winter before!

I have looked at a couple of site guides for good places to go for birds. My question is which places are suitable to visit with young children? My four year old is an enthusiastic birder but gets quite noisy, the one year old just does noisy! A bit of an exaggeration but you don't want them in hides too long, they're better on a walk or a beach!

Also, assuming I get some time off, will there still be a chance of Honey Buzzards at either of the watchpoints and what of the Montys at the known site? Will they still be there and if so could someone please pm me where?!

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Old Monday 7th August 2006, 15:09   #124
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD
I have looked at a couple of site guides for good places to go for birds. My question is which places are suitable to visit with young children? My four year old is an enthusiastic birder but gets quite noisy, the one year old just does noisy! A bit of an exaggeration but you don't want them in hides too long, they're better on a walk or a beach!
Hi Robin

The first place that springs to mind is Titchwell, lots of birds to see and lots of other people with kids... and at the end of the reserve is the beach so the kids can play in the sand while you do a bit of seawatching.

Old Monday 7th August 2006, 19:54   #125
HarassedDad

For kids I'd recommend Holkham - excellent beach for the kids while you can check the pines and dunes; Horsey gap for the seals - my grandson was mesmerised; kelling heath is a good ramble - but watch the beach nearby as the currents are lethal; The boat trip at hickling broad is good - they do family days on fridays; and How Hill does a boat trip as well. Check out the norfolk wildlife trust web site for family days with face painting etc, and the broads website for fundays.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: