Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 08:04   #1251
Edward woodwood

BBS still there this morning for anyone interested...

had a cracking evening's birding with Ilya last night, out in East Norfolk. Fantastic birds in a beautiful setting.

Tim
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 12:36   #1252
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Of interest so far today...

Temmincks’ Stint Cley on Simmonds and at Hickling Rush Hill

Bonapartes Gull Hickling Rush Hill at 08.35

Broad-billed Sandpiper Breydon Water South wall TG 499 070 but not since 09.55

Bee-eater Winterton North Dunes, flew north at 08.40

Red-backed Shrike male Weybourne Camp east of radar near beach this morning

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 16:39   #1253
Connor Rand
Norwich resident, Holme devotee

Also uncomfirmed report of a male Citrine Wag near Denver. Two birding friends who live in Denver are very anxious for info if neone has ne.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 19:02   #1254
J Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Also uncomfirmed report of a male Citrine Wag near Denver. Two birding friends who live in Denver are very anxious for info if neone has ne.
I thought it would have been them who'd seen it!
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 19:35   #1255
Connor Rand

Alas not! They have searched the area this evening but they were not sure which bridge was meant, so they searched all the rail bridges in the area. Just a Grey Wag was all they could find...

Connor
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 20:04   #1256
Penny Clarke

Jobs to do this morning, but couldn't stand it any longer and escaped this afternoon.

Arrived Great Ryburgh Watchpoint 3pm. Incredibly hot standing here, what a contrast from yesterday, wearing wool hat, today was wearing a sunhat!!! Had good views of 3 common buzzards, hobby, little egret, heron and a pair of grey partridge!

At a private nature reserve in Norfolk I had one of the most enriching couple of hours I have ever had. I had intended to go on to Weybourne to see the Red Backed shrike, but was enjoying myself so much, could not be bothered!!!

Male marsh harrier crashing through trees being mobbed by a carrion crow. 1 heron by the river, several mistle thrushes, 2 egyptian geese 1 cuckoo, 1 yellow hammer and greenfinches in hedge. 2 Broad borded bee hawks!!!!1, 2 banded demoseilles, 5 grey wagtails flitting about on pebbles in middle of stream, pied wagtails, lesser spotted woodpecker (nearly had a heart attack!) within minutes of seeing a great spotted woodpecker, shortly after that a kingfisher flashed past, pair of tawny owls erupted from a tree stump right in front of me - seriously made me jump! Another great spotted woodpecker in wood, a different marsh harrier and back where my car was parked, while having a cup of tea, a barn owl came at great speed across me, carrying a vole and being frantically chased by a very verbal mistle thrush!!!!! WOW!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Tuesday 22nd May 2007 at 20:13.
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 21:13   #1257
SueBryan

Sounds as if you had a good afternoon Penny!
I had a Hobby fly over the car this evening as I drove through Hunstanton.
Sue
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 21:27   #1258
Stand on Zanzibar
Trying to bird with three kids in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolkbirder View Post
we had nice views of a singing Firecrest
I haven't got Firecrest on my Norfolk list , I don't suppose you could give me a pointer to a reliable site? I'm down there next week (hopefully a prelude to moving down permanently within the next twelve months) I see from the most recent Norfolk Bird Report that there are plenty around - but I can't find them!

Thanks

Tim
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 21:31   #1259
Karl J

Hi, i've a couple of decent spells of free time coming up in the next few weeks so hoping to get to grips with a few of the further-flung Norfolk spots / birds. And as it'll be by train, bike & foot i'm reasonably keen to avoid unnecessary 20 mile detours

But as i arent sure this is the done thing or not, i do fully appreciate anyone's reluctance in giving info away,

anyhow...

Stone Curlews, Weeting - is there a particularly good or bad time of day for them to show ? (and anything else of special note in the greater-Thetford / Brandon CP area...)

Montagu's , , any help in location would be useful...(ok so this is going to be a tricky one in many people's mind i guess, so perhaps PM ?)

Lakenheath Fen - anyone got the OS ref ? obviously i have an old copy as its not shown (well i cant see it anyhow)

Nightjars in Norfolk ?

finally, Honey Buzzards were on my orig. list of RFI but cheers Chris, i will bear that in mind.

thanks in advance

Last edited by Karl J : Tuesday 22nd May 2007 at 21:34.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2007, 21:45   #1260
Edward woodwood

Hickling again with Chris, Pete, Ilya and a few Norwich boys

Bonaparte's came in at around 8

Tim
Old Wednesday 23rd May 2007, 08:15   #1261
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

Hi Karl
Details on lakenheath here:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guid...hfen/about.asp

Best site I know for nightjar is Buxton Heath

Just up from Weeting is East Wretham Heath
http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org....ks/wretham.htm
Old Wednesday 23rd May 2007, 17:58   #1262
Penny Clarke

I didn't go out today, extremely annoyed, had to spend all morning hanging around town and until 2pm to wait for car to be MOT'd and it failed - well I knew it would! its ancient! Did the Tescos run and have now decided to climb up the wooden hill very early and go out a daybreak tomorrow to make up for today.

My parents had an excellent afternoon though - my mother saw a spotted flycatcher about 3pm in her garden and father saw a common crane flying over at 4.30pm!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny

P.S. Hoopoe was seen at 12.20pm at Kelling Heath today but not seen again after 1.21pm. BOTHER!!!
and a wood sandpiper at Kelling Water Meadows.

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Wednesday 23rd May 2007 at 18:15.
Old Wednesday 23rd May 2007, 18:28   #1263
Connor Rand

Hi Penny. was the Crane going over the village? Another one I've missed at Holme...

Last edited by Connor Rand : Wednesday 23rd May 2007 at 19:11. Reason: wrong spelling
Old Wednesday 23rd May 2007, 18:33   #1264
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Rand View Post
Hi Penny. was the Crane going over the village? Another one I've missed at Home...
Yes, father was sitting in his deckchair in the garden, when it went over!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 11:29   #1265
sacha

2 Cranes showing well and calling in fields South of Rush Hill Scrape this morning (always nice to see) - Could not see the Bonaparte's there

Breydon also fairly quiet - 1 3rd sum Yellow leg Gull was a year tick

Sacha
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 16:05   #1266
SueBryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post
Hi, i've a couple of decent spells of free time coming up in the next few weeks so hoping to get to grips with a few of the further-flung Norfolk spots / birds. And as it'll be by train, bike & foot i'm reasonably keen to avoid unnecessary 20 mile detours

But as i arent sure this is the done thing or not, i do fully appreciate anyone's reluctance in giving info away,

anyhow...

Stone Curlews, Weeting - is there a particularly good or bad time of day for them to show ? (and anything else of special note in the greater-Thetford / Brandon CP area...)

Montagu's , , any help in location would be useful...(ok so this is going to be a tricky one in many people's mind i guess, so perhaps PM ?)

Lakenheath Fen - anyone got the OS ref ? obviously i have an old copy as its not shown (well i cant see it anyhow)

Nightjars in Norfolk ?

finally, Honey Buzzards were on my orig. list of RFI but cheers Chris, i will bear that in mind.

thanks in advance
Lakenheath (Grid Ref TL725865) and Weeting are only a few miles apart and very easy to do. The Golden Orioles are flying about between the first and second plantation at the moment. You need to walk along the riverbank as early as possible in the morning. (5am if possible) You will almost certainly hear them before they fly out from one side of the plantation before they fly over to the other plantation or even across the river. The cranes can also be heard.
Weeting can be done any time of day between 9am-5pm.
Honey Buzzards are at Great Ryburgh Raptor Watch Point (TF970255) probably best after 10am in the morning.

Nightjars Roydon Common, Sandringham, Dersingham Bog.

Sue
Old Thursday 24th May 2007, 19:51   #1267
Penny Clarke

Well I didn't quite make daybreak!! 8.30am!

On private nature reserve in Norfolk: little egret x 2, kingfisher, greenfinches, goldfinches, mistle thrushes, blackcap, willow warbler, garden warbler, at least 50 banded demoiseilles, Emerald damselfly, red eyed damselfly, 4 spot chaser, yellow hammer, tawny owl, marsh tits x 2, treecreeper, 2 grey wagtails, great spotted woodpecker.

Further afield in Norfolk: Great Ryburgh - 10.45am - 2 common buzzards, 2 hobbies, 1 heron and 1 egyptian goose, nothing else again!!!!

Swanton Novers: 2.45pm 2 yellow hammers, 2 stock doves.

Flitcham 5.15pm - Feral Barnacle Goose with grey lags and lots of young!, greenfinch, tufted ducks, mute swans, 1 little grebe, little owl in tree!, chaffinches, 2 long tailed tits and a cuckoo.

Best Wishes Penny

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Thursday 24th May 2007 at 20:05.
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 07:33   #1268
lomond

Hi all.

Just a quick one.

saw a hobby this morning flew over as i was driving between Buxton and Coltishal near the waste dump. at 06:15.

Hope to go to buxton heath tonight for night jar.

Barry.
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 20:28   #1269
Karl J

Not the easiest of days but still successful enough

First couple hours was in bright sunshine before being swallowed up by the Buxton roadwork diversions; then fell for the ole Norfolk signposts gag a couple of times (how long have i lived here ) finally, after riding round the same 3 mile loop twice, had to just ignore the Road Closed which worked out rather well as i got the road all to myself and didnt see any actual roadworks whatsoever !

enough common stuiff to keep it interesting, and also 2 Turtle Doves, 1 Hobby, a lovely day-flying Barn Owl, chased a couple of Bullfinch up the lane, 3 Greater-spotted & 1 Green woodpecker, 1 Sparrowhawk

Started to rain a few miles from the monty site so dived in a cafe. Rained even harder when i came out. Went for a look about anyway. Rain stopped - montys came out - rain started again. felt a bit jarred off at not getting the best of views but still it was enough, and prob as well to leave them in peace i guess

2 and half hours of a rain soaked Norfolk Coast Cycleway later, Sheringham train station was just way too tempting...

101 miles by bike + 2 trains (cheers for the top-tips, you know who you are )

~many thanks for the reply Dad, Sue. Just need to suss out getting to Lakenheath for 5am now...

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th May 2007, 20:44   #1270
Connor Rand

Hi all, had two Spoonbills, two cracking sum plum Curlew Sands, a Little Stint and a Bitten at Titchwell RSPB + a Cuckoo at Thornham Point.

Connor
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 21:08   #1271
seanofford

The Stone Curlew was still present inland of the concrete blocks, Winterton North Dunes at dusk tonight.

Sean
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 14:05   #1272
craigaholden

Does anyone have any reliable sites in Norfolk for tree sparrow this time of year? Will be coming up on Monday and would like to see some if at all possible. If the sites are sensitive then please PM me. Thanks in advance for any help
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 19:20   #1273
lomond

Hi all.

Not got out today too much to do at home.

Lots of activity in the garden though, Family of 5 coal tits feeding on feeders, family of 3 robins feeding in the borders and my highlight of the day(not for the sparrow though) was a Sparrow hawk which caught a sparrow then stayed on the side of the lawn to pluck & eat it.

Got some pics but I dont know how to up load them onto the site. I will try but don't hold your breath.

Barry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sparrow hawk (Medium).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	86442
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparrow hawk 1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	86443  
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 20:34   #1274
Edward woodwood

a good hour at Rush Hill early evening produced

Boner but only briefly
Temminck's Stint
Little Stint
Curlew Sand

and it was very nice to meet Gordon and Susan who were down here for the week and share a beer with them in the Nelson's last night. Great people!

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Saturday 26th May 2007 at 20:51.
Old Saturday 26th May 2007, 21:36   #1275
Penny Clarke

No birding today - spent most of day looking for new car. One of my shortest lists ever on a Saturday, 2 cuckoos, 1 whitethroat, 1 turtle dove!

Had a nice evening last night though, had fantastic views of nightjars and woodcocks flying overhead.

Best Wishes Penny
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: