Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 12:38   #151
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborah4
What shape was it and how big, Penny - some idea would help! Call and flight jizz sounds vaguely like a tern - black tern maybe (although tail slightly forked & not very long!)? Did the person who suggested it was a LT-Skua actually see the bird? Fine tail streamers are very long and couldn't really be confused with too may other things!

Deborah and Rob

Very sorry, no excuses I know for not not giving a full description, but had a vey bad nights sleep before I went to Blakeney Point and struggled to walk it, so exhausted when I got back, don't know how I even typed my post!!! Sorry couldn't not give answer until now, have been at work early this morning and have to go back again this afternoon, won't be able to answer this thread again until after 9.15ish tonight.

The person who suggested it was LT Skua didn't see it, he was discussing it on the phone with me. It wasn't a tern, it was a heavier body than a tern, belly more rounded, it was bigger than a tern, difficult to say how much bigger, about a third bigger, the tail was very long and was definately not forked and tapered off slightly to a blunt end, was NOT streamered. It didn't flick about like a tern, if you know what I mean. When I first saw it, it flew up from a pool area by marsh.

Actually looking Collins 'Bird Guide' page 167 - it describes a juvenile long tailed skua as 'A few have longer stubby 'points at rear of tail than any juvenile Parasitic.'. Would it possible to be a juvenile long tailed skua maybe?
Speak to you later - Penny
Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 13:35   #152
Sandra (Taylor)

Hi Kstar 76:

We always find Wells-next-the Sea is a good base for exploring the north coast -both ways. The Cobblers is a nice guest house, as is the Normans in the village. The Bowling Green serves good food but best to book for a meal in the evening. Two or 3 other pubs for good food - think one is called the Ark Royal - and the Edinburgh rings a bell but I may be wrong about this. There are always lots of B&B adverts for Norfolk in Birdwatching mag. and the RSPB Birds mag. Stand by for other replies with members' favourite places.

Sandra

Last edited by Sandra (Taylor) : Sunday 27th August 2006 at 13:38.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 27th August 2006, 16:23   #153
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar_76
Hi Norfolk people,

Also planning a trip to Norfolk soon, never been to this part of the world before. My question is where would be a good place in Norfolk to stay for a couple of nights, in easy reach of some of the good birding sites. We'd like to stay somewhere with a few good pubs and restaurants so we can chill out in the evenings

Any advice would be much appreciated

kstar
wells next the sea would have plenty of places to stay and dine out.

many good birding sites can be reached on foot via the coast path!
the link below has information on the local area and ammenities in wells

http://hometown.aol.com/wellsonsea/index.html

matt

Last edited by matt green : Sunday 27th August 2006 at 16:29.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th August 2006, 10:59   #154
KayD
Ochruros

Thanks for the advice

Many thanks for your advice Sandra and Matt

It sounds like a nice place to stay and isn't far from some of the places we want to visit, will deffo check out some of those watering holes whilst there

can I also ask would september be a good time to visit (in terms of the birds we might see)?
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 13:19   #155
Karl J

Any time is good for a visit to Norfolk kstar. I'd have thought Norwich would be a good place to stay - being right in the middle with easy access to north coast, east coast (and the bits in between), the broads and north Suffolk / Minsmere etc

Anyhow, took a ride around Horsey & Hickling this morning, called in on the way round to Rush Hills scrape (btw, does anyone know how on earth the word 'Hills' got in here ?, given that its in the middle of one of the flattest places in the UK)

TG423 209, along Weavers Way footpath

nothing of any real consequence with the water levels being quite high at the minute but still some ducks & waders, 2 Little Grebes, Ruff, Ringed Plovers, Lapwings etc. A few House Martins & Swallows. 1 Marsh Harrier and Kestrel around & about and a few Yellowhammers in the fields down the lane

3 harriers from Stubb Mill

a Barn Owl near Horsey Mill and a Green Woodpecker somewhere-or-other, etc

90p for a cup of tea at the mill tea shack

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 28th August 2006, 20:20   #156
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

gutted

Yesterday we took grandson out to the beach. So we took him to Winterton in the hope of a quick wander around the dunes. Well we did get a bit of a wander in between building sandcastles, but didn't see anything special. So I log in tonight and find that there was a b*-**y hoopoo 60 yards from the car park (and a pied fly on the south side). And I was there and I didn't see them!!!

I must have been within 100 yards of that hoopoo - and I was building b***y sandcastles. When that lad's older he ain't half going to get grief for that.
Old Monday 28th August 2006, 22:08   #157
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarassedDad
Yesterday we took grandson out to the beach. So we took him to Winterton in the hope of a quick wander around the dunes. Well we did get a bit of a wander in between building sandcastles, but didn't see anything special. So I log in tonight and find that there was a b*-**y hoopoo 60 yards from the car park (and a pied fly on the south side). And I was there and I didn't see them!!!

I must have been within 100 yards of that hoopoo - and I was building b***y sandcastles. When that lad's older he ain't half going to get grief for that.
My goodness thats awful, I would have been livid as I haven't seen a hoopoe for years, the last time was at Holme, a long, long time ago, I seem to miss all others that have been in Norfolk.

TODAY'S BIRDING

This morning I had to go to work and by the time I had detoured to Holme via Sandringham, Snettisham, Sedgeford and Ringstead as the bank holiday traffic was stationary from Sandringham (good job I know the back roads!)!!! it was mid afternoon.

Arrived at Holme Bird Observatory to rain, sun, rain, hailstones, sun, rain etc etc, no birds really to report, the warden hadn't seen much either, oh I did see one common whitethroat and lots of swallows circling in the sky after a few cracks of thunder. Saw a young kestrel sitting on the wires down Firs Road from HBO. The only interesting, amusing sight of the day was when I went to NOA's Redwell Marsh Hide in hope of some Yellow wags dropping in. On the telegraph wire in front of hide sat about 16 swallows happily enjoying a spell of sunshine, when a young pied wagtail dropped in the wire as well - he decided to hop along to the nearest swallow on purpose to disturb it, which it did, the swallow flew up and then he moved on to the next, swallow flys up and so on until they all flew off! When all the swallows re-landed he did they same again! A couple of swallows did flip!! and tried to attack him back, but he wasn't bothered, he just carried on annoying them, it was highly amusing to watch! There was a couple of stock doves as well and that was about it.
Old Wednesday 30th August 2006, 18:29   #158
Cudyll Bach

I am hoping to visit Norfolk next week from 8th - 16th, we would be staying at Hunstanton if we do manage to get there. Any information of any shape or form would be gratefully received. I am hoping for a few lifers, what I would like to know especially is a) The best place for Stone Curlews if they are still about. b) Will Montagues Harrier still be there? c) Where is the best place to see Cranes? d) The best place to provide most sps in one day?

Cheers
Iain
Old Wednesday 30th August 2006, 21:10   #159
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainvaughan
I am hoping to visit Norfolk next week from 8th - 16th, we would be staying at Hunstanton if we do manage to get there. Any information of any shape or form would be gratefully received. I am hoping for a few lifers, what I would like to know especially is a) The best place for Stone Curlews if they are still about. b) Will Montagues Harrier still be there? c) Where is the best place to see Cranes? d) The best place to provide most sps in one day?

Cheers
Iain
Hi Iain, hope you enjoy you holiday in Norfolk. Hunstanton is a good base to be in. Best fish 'n' chips - Vegas!!! Tescos in Hunstanton as well.

First of all can I strongly recommend you buy 'Best Birdwatching Sites in Norfolk by Neil Glenn (2nd edition just come out as well, I have it!) 16.95 ISSN 0144-364 Published by Buckingham Press, this will tell you EVERYTHING IN ABSOLUTE DETAIL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RESERVES IN NORFOLK.

The best place for Stone Curlews is Weeting Heath, visitor centre there and hides to view the stone curlews, Weeting Heath (Norfolk Wildlife Trust www.wildlifetrust.org.uk) is only about 4 miles from RSPB Lakenheath Fen as well (I always visit these together), where the golden orioles are, but they will be gone by then, but fantastic reserve for general stuff including bittern, marsh harrier, kingfisher, hobbies skimming over the water for dragonflies etc (see RSPB website). Weeting Heath is about 30 miles from where I live in King's Lynn + 18 miles to Hunstanton, so about 48/50 miles. Montagues Harriers I am not totally up on, someone else will maybe post this info, though still quite sensitive I think. Best places for cranes, Horsey/Winterton. Best all round place in probably Titchwell RSPB, but there is so much on coast, you have RSPB Snettisham (between King's Lynn and Hunstanton) about a 5 mile walk round the hides. Hunstanton cliffs of course for seawatching, Holme next Sea of course, famous for rarities, the Norfolk Wildlife Trust, 'Holme Dunes Reserve' and Norfolk Ornithologists Assocation (noa.org.uk), 'Holme Bird Observatory' (both seperate organisations, you can pay to go to one or the other or both. After Holme, you have Titchwell RSPB, Choosley Drying Barnes (dotterel there recently), Brancaster Marsh, Burnham Norton Marshes, Holkham Pines, Blakeney Point, Stiffkey Fen and of course the NWT famous Cley Marshes, Walsey Hills (NOA) Salthouse, Beeston Bump, Sheringham Cliffs, Winterton Dunes etc etc etc!!!

Have a brilliant time. Best Wishes Penny
Old Thursday 31st August 2006, 23:16   #160
Cudyll Bach

Many thanks Penny, just can't wait to get over there. Will post a report tp let you know how I get on.
Old Saturday 9th September 2006, 07:18   #161
JRE
Registered Member

Seconded. I'm also going (see link in my signiture).
Old Monday 11th September 2006, 22:58   #162
Penny Clarke

Saturday 9th September 7am start!!!!

Alarm went off a silly time and I left packed with 2 flasks and lots of food all excited and ready for a BIG birding day!!! I arrived at Holme at 7am and parked by the 5-bar gate half way down 'Firs' road. It was a very high tide (8.4 metres). It was a beautiful morning, and the sea came right up to the dunes, pushing thousands of waders off their feeding grounds, swirling in masses, it was a spectacular sight and an unusual one, you don't normally see this at Holme as the sea rarely comes up that high, whereas at Snettisham it comes up further, which is why Snettisham is one of the best places to see thousands of waders put up by the tide.

I followed the coast path towards the reserves, passing 3 other birders on route. I was hoping this was going to be an exciting day! High tide was just after 8am, I met up with Jed Andrews (warden of HBO - Holme Bird Obs.) and some others for a sea watch. Birds that I saw were, 1 Arctic skua, eiders, common, sandwich terns and adult and Juv. gannets.

The others (warden + friends) had seen 'a single Pomarine Skua and three Arctic Skua, 250+ Gannet, the first two Velvet Scoter of the autumn, two Red- throated Diver and 200+ Teal and 2 black terns. Also later in the day somebody has seen a Barred Warbler present early am and a Redstart in the paddocks (behind bungalows).

I walked as far as Thornham channel where I saw 40+ ringed plovers, 100+ sanderling, bar tailed godwit x 10 and a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by a tern. I walked along Thornham bank and took some pictures of the morning sun glittering across the water, 'saw some linnets by sluice, swallows and little egrets. Walked back to HBO for sandwiches, 40 winks and a yarn. A birder came up and told us he has seen a barred warbler!!! in the bushes either side of the road just before the gate half way down the road - lucky him!!! I spent a long time walking up and down the main bank scanning for something magical in the sea buckthorn and elderberries but alas nothing massively exciting, apart from a white throat, great tit and chaffinch! Oh I did get very excited when for a split second I thought I was looking - ha ha! at a snowy owl sitting in the grass, but then a head raised up to reveal a very funny looking white pheasant with a short tail!!!!!!!!! - got the heart racing though I can tell you!! (This was the most excitement I had that day!!!). Walked back to the car via the 'forestry' and spent a long time here scanning bushes (a brilliant spot in migration) but nothing again apart from magpies! When I reached where my car was parked, there were several people standing about looking for the barred warbler, but no one had seen it. I bumped into a couple of friends who had just seen a redstart behind the bungalows in the paddocks, so I went to have a look and did I see it??? NOOOOO!!!!!! Drove further along road to Redwell Marsh Reserve (NOA) and saw a few pied wags and 2 very beautiful red-legged partridge. Popped in to parents for tea and cake and then stopped in Hunstanton on way home to view evening tide and stupid holiday makers leaning over seawall by cliffs and then wondering why they got soaked as a wave came up and sloshed them!!! Ha ha!!!!

Last edited by Penny Clarke : Monday 11th September 2006 at 23:09.
Old Tuesday 12th September 2006, 13:09   #163
KayD
Ochruros

Norfolk Trip

Hi again Norfolk peeps

Have finally booked my Norfolk birding break for fri 29th and sat 30th, leaving on sunday. Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Really looking forward to it and praying for good weather.

Kstar
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 19:03   #164
postcardcv
Super Moderator

plenty around in Norfolk today...

black-head bunting at Holme
common rosefinch at Salthouse
red-backed shrike at Kelling
osprey at Rockland

also good numbers of wheatears around on the coast.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 19:08   #165
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
plenty around in Norfolk today...

black-head bunting at Holme
common rosefinch at Salthouse
red-backed shrike at Kelling
osprey at Rockland

also good numbers of wheatears around on the coast.
Last I heard black-headed bunting had not been confirmed yet? Has it now? Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 19:16   #166
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke
Last I heard black-headed bunting had not been confirmed yet? Has it now? Best Wishes Penny
from people I've spoken to it's definitely a black-headed bunting, it seems to have been around for a while... question of origin is now the issue.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 19:56   #167
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Hi again Norfolk peeps

Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Really looking forward to it and praying for good weather.

Kstar
Golden Fleece in Wells good for a beer - Fri night Disco too!!!

Ark Royal too

Jolly Sailors in Brancaster is excellent for food, Ostrich in South Creake too...

Red Lion in Stiffkey had great beer. Further round Dun Cow is nice and if you get to the East Coast try the Nelson's Head in Horsey and the Waxham Barn. Hickling Village has a couple of good pubs too

Plenty to choose from

Tim
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 21:12   #168
Andy Bright
Administrator

Quote:

Have finally booked my Norfolk birding break for fri 29th and sat 30th, leaving on sunday. Plumped to stay in Wells in the end (thanks again for that advice). Any more info on local pubs/restaurants would be most useful.

Kstar
The Anchor in Morston does some exceptional meals, lunch and evening... well worth a visit. In fact I'll be in there at least once during the week you're going.
Oh, and there a good little cafe on the quay at Wells that does a good cheap breakfast.

cheers,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:13   #169
KayD
Ochruros

Cheers :)

Many thanks Chaps I'll be sure to check out some of those in between all the birding

Can't wait!
Old Wednesday 13th September 2006, 22:21   #170
deborah4

Quote:
Many thanks Chaps I'll be sure to check out some of those in between all the birding

Can't wait!
And don't forget the fish and chip shops on the Quay - the best in Norfolk!

Old Thursday 14th September 2006, 19:07   #171
postcardcv
Super Moderator

Quote:
from people I've spoken to it's definitely a black-headed bunting, it seems to have been around for a while... question of origin is now the issue.
opps spoke too soon... I've still not seen the bird myself but today there are suggestions that it might be an escaped weaver sp. (village weaver?)...

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley
rb shrike still at kelling

so it's not all bad news!

Old Thursday 14th September 2006, 19:30   #172
Penny Clarke

Quote:
opps spoke too soon... I've still not seen the bird myself but today there are suggestions that it might be an escaped weaver sp. (village weaver?)...

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley

Yes I had heard that it was probably an escaped weaver from someone in the village!

.......and there was a Tawney Pipit on Blakeney Point Long Hills at midday. An osprey seen at Holme NOA at 3.55pm and seen perched on the church flag pole at Old Hunstanton at 4pm!!

After work I went to Lynn Point, got there too late really but had distant view of a marsh harrier, a green woodpecker came bounding over my head and a merlin flew in!!!! Hundreds of gulls coming in to roost. Don't often come here, bit too lonely on your own.
Old Thursday 14th September 2006, 19:35   #173
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
Jolly Sailors in Brancaster is excellent for food, Ostrich in South Creake too...
yep can vouch for both. Is the Dun cow at Salthouse Tim?

The Bell at Wiveton is good.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 14th September 2006, 19:43   #174
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:

osprey still at rockland
pec sand still at cley

what are the chances of the osprey wondering over to strumpshaw?

might be able to get a few hours there over the weekend,hopefully before it leaves the area.

matt

Old Thursday 14th September 2006, 23:36   #175
J Moss

That Rare-o-meter is awesome. If its anything to go by, ill have to pop out to the coast tomorrow.

Popped down to Salthouse Today at around 2ish, to have a look before i had to go to work at 5. Juv. Red Necked Grebe just of the beach. Great, as it was a first for me. Also a couple of gannets and an Arctic Skua out to sea. Lots of Wheatear and Meadow Pippets about around the hill to the West of the area, as well as a Whinchat. About 7 Ringed Plover feeding in the puddles by the car park.

On my way back to the car, i was told by one chap that a Redstart had appeared in the car park. was pretty excited, as this would also be a first for me. Found it hiding underneath a Mondeo, cowering from all the ppl trying to take its picture! Its always nice to see new birds, but i think i would rather see Redstarts in a more natural situation! It was a Juv. bird, but still very nice.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: