Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Friday 22nd September 2006, 10:32   #201
Karl J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binoculators
A friend of mine has just told me there was a group of about 15 or so birders looking out over Breydon Water late yesterday afternoon from somewhere near the hide (near Asda), obviously something of interest.
Don't suppose anybody knows what I missed?
Wotcha B, yes there are sometimes organised groups aloong there

Only thing on Birdguides for yesterday is 2 Spotted Redshank & 2 Curlew Sandpipers

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd September 2006, 13:53   #202
dbradnum

Someone's had a good morning at Winterton: Rose-coloured Starling and Wryneck there

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:14   #203
J Moss

Shame its P**sing down! I might try and find them otherwize. How rare are rose coloured starlings in the UK, on a 1 - 10 scale. It just feels odd, twitching a starling!
Old Friday 22nd September 2006, 14:24   #204
dbradnum

If 1 is a mega rare, and 10 is a Starling... then a Rosy is about a 4.

There's one in East Anglia most years ... but this one hasn't been seen since the original report.

David

(Visit my blog!)

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd September 2006, 21:28   #205
Binoculators

Just looked at Birdguides and Rosy is now on there with a frowning face next to it. I guess this means it was mis-identified. Wryneck awesome though.
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 10:46   #206
Edward woodwood

Pallid Harrier juv.

Winterton

just heard, dunno if it's made the news services yet

Tim
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 12:14   #207
David Norgate

Pallid Harrier until 11.50 then drifted off SW. Hopefully it will be relocated or return.

(also the 'sad face' presumably means the rosy was not seen again, not that it was mis-i'ded - you could try to relocate it around Waxham there is a huge starling flock that attracted a Rosy a few years back)
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 17:39   #208
Karl J

Pallid Harrier up between Hemsby / Winterton / Blood Hills wind farm (cheers Tim) this afternoon and it looked like there were still several people there about 5-ish as i came back past that way.

Rose-coloured Starling in the BT compound about 3.30 (ish?)

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 18:23   #209
JRE
Registered Member

Iain, great report, sums up brilliantly. Have you submitted the Bunting to the county recorder yet?
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 19:32   #210
David Norgate

Just cross posting Sean's message - I hope he doesn't mind. Is of interset to Norfolk birding:

'If anyone got any pics of the Harrier and wouldn't mind one appearing on our informal Winterton birding website (www.birdwatch.plus.com), please send me one...

Ta,
Sean'
Old Saturday 23rd September 2006, 23:24   #211
Penny Clarke

Not as exciting today as I expected, but a glorious day anyway. Awoke to a very misty morning, which when it cleared, I thought (as several people did) some interesting birds would appear. At Holme behind the bungalows (half way down opp. NWT pay hut) I saw a couple of black caps and a lovely female bullfinch along with Jay and Marsh Harrier. Several Little Egrets, whimbrel and curlew in pools by dunes. An extremely annoying, interesting looking warbler dived in a bush and never (I swear!!!) came out again, I watched that bush like a hawk for a long time! Gave up in the end and moved on. There was a lovely line-up of young starlings sitting on the telegraph poles near the 5-bar gate. Carried on down to car parks. Lots of wigeon flyng over, few whimbrel. Didn't see very much at all really. Holme Bird Observatory had a good old social gathering there today. It was roosting hot now (always a sun trap at HBO) and everyone was peeling off their layers. Somebody's pager came up with 7 common buzzards seen at Thornham just after 12pm, so we all looked to the skies and a very sharp birder/photographer (BF member I think - don't his 'name' on here, he didn't give that away!) spotted some of them high in the clouds above Holme Church (12.30ish). I was very pleased as I had 4 in the scope at one time, and even though distant it was wonderful to see. I spent more time doing photography than birding today - lots of commas, red admirals, painted ladies, speckled wood x 1, small copper x 2 and several dragonflies, all of which with lots of patience I got pictures of. Moved on to Titchwell later where I saw 4 Little Stints, common sandpiper, greenshank, redshanks, egrets plus all usual waders. Seawatch 6.30pmish for a short while included several eider, common scooter and 2 gannets. Walked back to view the egrets flying in to roost.

Other reports today: 2 honey buzzards at Snettisham, pink footed geese and bramblings at Holkham, 2 white admirals at Holkham near Joe Jordan Hide.
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 21:05   #212
Binoculators

Popped up to Winterton today to see if I could find Rosie or the Pallid Harrier, unfortunately I only had an hour and didn't see either of them, but did see some Wheatear on the dunes and a Convolvulus Hawk-Moth which was nice.
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 21:28   #213
trappeddownsouth

was there (winterton) at the first light, after goin to the pub the night b4 thinkin it would be a good idea to get a taxi out there (mmmmmm). saw the harrier fly up the dunes then eventually come back to its favoured area, few winchats in the fields, sparrowhawks and two cracking summer plumed rtdivers on the sea.
Thanks to the lovely couple who took me home, and to work (aaaaarrrrrgh)
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 22:15   #214
KayD
Ochruros

Snettisham Tide Info

Hi Peeps,

Still reading your thread for info on Norfolk. We are coming down from brum next friday (29th), hopefully to arrive just before lunchtime, leave on sunday. Got a B&B in Wells-next-the-sea. Hoping to get lots of lifers and maybe even a rarity or two!

We have booked to go on the seal trip to blakeney for a bit of armchair sea-watching lol :) The other places I want to visit are: Cley Marshes, Salthouse Marshes, Holme Dunes & Bird Observatory, Titchwell & Snettisham. Its a lot to fit in for the short time we are there and I'm trying to plan an itinery of sorts.

Please can anyone tell me what time the high tide will be at Snet, so we can see all the waders and is there anything else I need to know about the Norfolk tides to maximise our birding enjoyment?

Any help much appreciated :)

Kstar
Old Sunday 24th September 2006, 22:50   #215
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar_76
Hi Peeps,

Still reading your thread for info on Norfolk. We are coming down from brum next friday (29th), hopefully to arrive just before lunchtime, leave on sunday. Got a B&B in Wells-next-the-sea. Hoping to get lots of lifers and maybe even a rarity or two!

We have booked to go on the seal trip to blakeney for a bit of armchair sea-watching lol :) The other places I want to visit are: Cley Marshes, Salthouse Marshes, Holme Dunes & Bird Observatory, Titchwell & Snettisham. Its a lot to fit in for the short time we are there and I'm trying to plan an itinery of sorts.

Please can anyone tell me what time the high tide will be at Snet, so we can see all the waders and is there anything else I need to know about the Norfolk tides to maximise our birding enjoyment?

Any help much appreciated :)

Kstar
Hi there - the tides for next weekend are: Friday 29th - 10.41am (6.1 tide), Saturday 30th - 11.34am (5.6), and Sun 1st is a neep tide. Very low tides that weekend I am afraid, which means its not high enough to get loads of waders off their feeding grounds at Snettisham. Your best bet for waders is to go to Titchwell, always a massive selection there, it will be better than Snettisham, being as the tides are very low that weekend (just to help your itinary if you run out of time!), following weekend are the BIG high tides. Snettisham is still a brilliant reserve though, plus the coastal park adjoining RSPB reserve is excellent for migrants. I am sure you will see some fabulous birds this coming weekend, anything could turn up anywhere. I have this week booked off for birding etc, so I hope VERY much its going to be a good week! Have a brilliant weekend.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 21:06   #216
hen harrier

hello NORFOLK BIRDERS, I'm hoping to come down to Norfolk for a winter birding session this year and I was wondering without you giving any secret locations away could you tell me the best places to see wintering Hen Harriers hunting. Plus the best areas to see wader flocks and the spectacular geese flocks which I've heard so much about. I hope this will not be to much trouble to you all and I thank you in advance for any help made available to me. If I can be of any help in return about locations in the North East and times to see certain things please contact me on this Norfolk thread and I'll look out for any of your requests on a regular basis. Thanks again Northern birder.
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 21:11   #217
Edward woodwood

Horsey area... Stubb Mill if you don't mind crowds

Roydon Common

Warham Greens

Wicken Fen (might be best bet of all the sites - from the tower hide)

Tim
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 22:18   #218
KayD
Ochruros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Clarke
Hi there - the tides for next weekend are: Friday 29th - 10.41am (6.1 tide), Saturday 30th - 11.34am (5.6), and Sun 1st is a neep tide. Very low tides that weekend I am afraid, which means its not high enough to get loads of waders off their feeding grounds at Snettisham. Your best bet for waders is to go to Titchwell, always a massive selection there, it will be better than Snettisham, being as the tides are very low that weekend (just to help your itinary if you run out of time!), following weekend are the BIG high tides. Snettisham is still a brilliant reserve though, plus the coastal park adjoining RSPB reserve is excellent for migrants. I am sure you will see some fabulous birds this coming weekend, anything could turn up anywhere. I have this week booked off for birding etc, so I hope VERY much its going to be a good week! Have a brilliant weekend.

Best Wishes Penny
Hi Penny

Thanks for the info. Just one question - what is a neep tide? Sorry to sound ignorant but I am a landlocked brummie so I don't really have a clue about tides and suchlike

Sunday was meant to be the day for Snet, as its slightly west I thought we could go there ahead of the drive back. But if you think there won't be much about I'll rethink that. I wanted to see the spectacle of all the waders and see some I havn't seen before, but I sometimes struggle with wader ID so being faced with thousands of them does sound a bit daunting lol. Will definately visit Titchwell - do the tides matter there?

As for the migrants they may occur at some of the other places we go to - will just have to wait and see.

Hope your birding week is a good one Penny, I appreciate your help

Kstar
Old Monday 25th September 2006, 23:40   #219
Penny Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstar_76
Hi Penny

Thanks for the info. Just one question - what is a neep tide? Sorry to sound ignorant but I am a landlocked brummie so I don't really have a clue about tides and suchlike

Sunday was meant to be the day for Snet, as its slightly west I thought we could go there ahead of the drive back. But if you think there won't be much about I'll rethink that. I wanted to see the spectacle of all the waders and see some I havn't seen before, but I sometimes struggle with wader ID so being faced with thousands of them does sound a bit daunting lol. Will definately visit Titchwell - do the tides matter there?

As for the migrants they may occur at some of the other places we go to - will just have to wait and see.

Hope your birding week is a good one Penny, I appreciate your help

Kstar
Official meaning of A NEAP TIDE: 'The neap tides occur when the sun and moon make a right angle with the earth. Therefore, the tide-producing effects of the sun and moon cancel each other slightly so that the tidal range is considerably less than the mean tidal range.' In a nutshell a very low, high tide,if that makes sense!!! Snettisham is still worth going to, don't be put off by the 'low' high tides. Tide doesn't make any difference to seeing waders at Titchwell, only for seawatching obviously. There is a shop, cafe at Titchwell where you can get drinks/ice-creams/hot food by the way. Note, there is no visitor centre/food or toilets at Snettisham reserve, but there are pubs in village nearby. Have a good weekend.
Best Wishes Penny
Old Wednesday 27th September 2006, 21:01   #220
Norfolkbirder
Vizmigger

Geese etc

To get a real "Goose" spectacle park at Lady Annes Drive Holkham, then walk west along the footpath on the landward side of the Pines, until you reach a hide with a ramped boardwalk. Head up here approximately 1 hour before sunset - don't leave until the light's almost gone.

Expect up to 20,000 Pink feet, can get upt to 40,000+ in late December, good for Barn owl, possibility of Hen Harrier, but more regularly over wintering Marsh, normally a Little Egret roost here has been up to 150+, although less last winter.

If you get here with time to spare the bay usually hold a pile of Common Scoter, along with Divers, can be really good for Red-necked & Slav Grebe but varies year to year. Snow Bunting & Shorelark regular in the saltings.
Old Wednesday 27th September 2006, 23:30   #221
J Moss

visited Holkham today, hoping to see the Yellow Browed Warbler. Didnt really know where to start though. Got chatting to man who lived local and he said that it had been associated with a flock of LT Tits, so I kept my eyes open. Spotted a Peregrine above my head, between the cottage and the second hide (cant remember the name)First for me. couldnt believe it! I always imagined these were only found off the most inhospitable rocky coasts, or up in the highlands. Not right on my doorstep! Finally located a Long-Tailed Tit flock. I must have scoured it for at least half an hour. Didnt see the YB Warbler (tho could easily have missed it. There were a lot of birds in there!!), but it did contain Coal, Blue, Great and LT Tits, Treecreepers, A willow Warbler, Goldcrests and a Firecrest (another first!). A very productive morning, in my opinion.
Old Thursday 28th September 2006, 23:07   #222
Penny Clarke

Arrived at Winterton to see Pallid Harrier at about 10am (later than I intended!) and parked in a layby on Collis Road (see Pallid Harrier thread for instructions how to get there) and walked up to where other birders were standing looking towards bonfire. I only had to wait about half an hour before I and several other people had distant but excellent views, what a beautiful bird. It was hidden from view for quite a while after that. A man across the other side on the top road had obviously then spotted it and several people where I was standing got in their cars to view it from the other side. I decided to stay where I was, which paid off a bit later! It favoured a particular tree for a very long time, until 2 or 3 crows pestered it to move. The Harrier then turned on one of the crows! It spent several times hidden out of view, but patience paid off as later on it moved a little closer to sit in a field and hopped several times, (like a magpie!) and gave everybody stupendous views of its head, it really was stunning, definately worth going too see. I will never foget it, I am tempted to go again, being as I still have the rest of my week's holiday!

I finally tore myself away at 1pmish and went on to Winterton Beach Cafe to look at the sea. I had sandwiches with me but fell for egg and chips sitting outside, while viewing, very close to shore: 2 black throated divers! 7 red throated divers! (showing off all their colours in the sunshine), 1 guillimot, and 1 razor bill. Another couple had also seen the 2 black throated divers and more red throated divers than I had! Can't remember how many they said now it think it was about 12/13! One of those stupid jet ski's had put all the divers up off the sea and they flew off west. I confess I have never actually been here and explored, only ever gone as far as Horsey Mill. The furthest I usually get is Cley, Salthouse. After pigging out on my low fat lunch I then ventured into the dune area towards the bushes/trees. I was absolutely amazed by the scene before me, an absolutely stunning place, goodness some birds must get missed here!!! Its VAST!!!!!! The immediate thought that ran through my head when I saw that massive valley of bushes and trees amongst the dunes was, that I wanted to sell up and move here! Didn't see hardly anything mind you, wrong winds, wrong time of day etc etc when I was walking through, only saw a few blackbirds eating berries, 2 garden tiger caterpillars, several small coppers, red admiral. I walked quite a way and then turned up to the dunes and walked back to cafe carpark along the cliffs and counted at least 25 swallows swirling round catching flies! (3pm) Back at the carpark, pied wagtails were bobbing about. A couple I had met earlier (viewing Pallid Harrier) were also in the carpark, they were on holiday in Hunstanton and were very excited when I told them I had heard somebody earlier saying the cranes at Waxham Barnes were in view, so I think they then went to see them! I hope they saw them. This was my next stop! On route to cranes, the car just veered off again (all by itself) to have another look at the harrier!! Did see it again but only briefly at 4.15pm and left it sitting in the bonfire heap! I hope it doesn't stay for bonfire night!!! A great spotted woodpecker landed on the telegraph pole behind us all. Left here and carried on to Waxham, just before, near a metal gate (left hand side of road) were 2 cars and scopes!!!! As I pulled in I couldn't believe my eyes, loads of cranes, feeding in the far side of field - 28 of them!!!! Took some distant shots. An extremely nice man asked me if I would like to borrow his 500mm lens - cool!!!!! I only have a 300mm lens and 1.4 x Kenko Converter making my lens 750mm for that shot!!! Won't be bril though as light was crap now at 5pm. Just after Waxham Barns I saw another 5 swallows. Stopped at Salthouse beach carpark to eat my lunchtime sandwiches and swil some tea down before a mini dusky walk along the top of the shingle and back. Heard and saw 6 sandwich terns. 9 Pied Wagtails on approach road and ended the day with at least 50+ Pink Feet going in the direction of Holkham!!! Drove home, got back 8.30ish. Now VERY VERY happy and sleepy
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 00:28   #223
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

doesn't get much better than that does it..

very envious

matt

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th September 2006, 14:27   #224
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Tim - out birding this weekend?

Tim - fancy a pop at Blakeney and / or East Hills tomorrow or Sunday? Thinking its traditionally the rarest weekend of the year. Winds & weather not looking that great for rares until a bit later in the week, but could still be quite good for southern vagrants - I fancy Isabelline Shrike or something along those lines. OK, being a bit optimistic, but still need Richard's Pipit self-found. Play it by weather (Blakeney) and tides (East Hills), but thinking Blakeney earlier rather than later due to the fact that plantation will already have been scoured a hundred times if left until Sunday afternoon. Could always slack it off and do waders if its not looking like fall conditions.

Cheers

Ilya
Old Friday 29th September 2006, 15:50   #225
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean
Tim - fancy a pop at Blakeney and / or East Hills tomorrow or Sunday? Thinking its traditionally the rarest weekend of the year. Winds & weather not looking that great for rares until a bit later in the week, but could still be quite good for southern vagrants - I fancy Isabelline Shrike or something along those lines. OK, being a bit optimistic, but still need Richard's Pipit self-found. Play it by weather (Blakeney) and tides (East Hills), but thinking Blakeney earlier rather than later due to the fact that plantation will already have been scoured a hundred times if left until Sunday afternoon. Could always slack it off and do waders if its not looking like fall conditions.

Cheers

Ilya
yes, for sure

we can discuss tonight...

later

Tim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: