Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Sunday 11th November 2007, 21:45   #251
JRE
Registered Member

A quality day spent with Poet for Sale and Conorbirda2 in west Cornwall. Ring Ouzel and Water Pipit in Kenidjack valley along with large thrush and pipit numbers, and a Firecrest at Nanquidno (spelling?) started the morning well.

Moving on to Lands End, a check of the scrub and cover towards the pool was fruitless, but back on the top of the headland Paul picked out a Richard's Pipit flying up from the car park. We followed it onto the moor, where we had another brief sighting but then it dropped down into the fields on private land past the moor, and was lost to view. A few Stonechats and a Whinchat in the area as well.

A half hour wait at the Buff-bellied Pipit's favourite field eventually yielded the bird, which showed superbly after initially being elusive. Views down to <20 foot, Paul's photos on the Cornwall birding website and on the RBA website.

Many thanks to Lisle and Paul for a great day.

Cheers
J
Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 00:08   #252
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyothi Ray View Post
A quality day spent with Poet for Sale and Conorbirda2 in west Cornwall. Ring Ouzel and Water Pipit in Kenidjack valley along with large thrush and pipit numbers, and a Firecrest at Nanquidno (spelling?) started the morning well.

Moving on to Lands End, a check of the scrub and cover towards the pool was fruitless, but back on the top of the headland Paul picked out a Richard's Pipit flying up from the car park. We followed it onto the moor, where we had another brief sighting but then it dropped down into the fields on private land past the moor, and was lost to view. A few Stonechats and a Whinchat in the area as well.

A half hour wait at the Buff-bellied Pipit's favourite field eventually yielded the bird, which showed superbly after initially being elusive. Views down to <20 foot, Paul's photos on the Cornwall birding website and on the RBA website.

Many thanks to Lisle and Paul for a great day.

Cheers
J
Good to see you again wee man. Glad you enjoyed it. I will give you a shout next time i am up in Torquay and meet up again. Sorry i had to shoot off on Saturday. Did you get the GW Teal?
Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 00:12   #253
Conorbirda2

No sign of the Buffbellied Pipit again today.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 08:55   #254
Darren Pearce

I am coming to Cornwall in a couple of weeks time. Are Chough resident in Cornwall? Should I see them at The Lizard or Sennen Cove ?

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 10:22   #255
devon.birder

We could hear Chough calling whilst we were watching the Buff-bellied Pipit last week so Lands End is always worth a try. The bottom of the valley at Nanquidno is another good place. Roger
Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 17:45   #256
henerz1

Between POrthgwarra and as far as Botallack further north than Lands End can produce Chough but stick to the coast path.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2007, 19:27   #257
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

I saw two Chough recently at Nanjizal bay which is left from Lands End about 15 mins along the coastal path.
Can be difficult to spot with all the other black birds that are always on the cliffs but the noise gives them away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chough flight.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	113591  
Old Wednesday 14th November 2007, 08:56   #258
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pearce View Post
I am coming to Cornwall in a couple of weeks time. Are Chough resident in Cornwall? Should I see them at The Lizard or Sennen Cove ?
They are still present at the Lizard but Nanquidno area is good at the moment as is Porthcurno or Lands End?! Just got to keep your earsd open and chech the jackdaw flocks.
Old Friday 16th November 2007, 19:25   #259
muckspreader

Can anyone reccomend a good area for seawatching in the Plymouth area.I am down for the weekend of 24/25 Nov and would like to catch up with some Sea duck and divers. cheers.
Old Friday 16th November 2007, 19:31   #260
Tav94

The best spot to head for is Seaton in Whitsands Bay this a good spot for Divers,or try Rame head or Penllee Point.
Old Friday 16th November 2007, 19:36   #261
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckspreader View Post
Can anyone reccomend a good area for seawatching in the Plymouth area.I am down for the weekend of 24/25 Nov and would like to catch up with some Sea duck and divers. cheers.
If you can get down as far as St Austell then Par Beach is a good spot. Surf and Velvet Scoter there recently.
Old Friday 16th November 2007, 19:38   #262
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorbirda2 View Post
They are still present at the Lizard but Nanquidno area is good at the moment as is Porthcurno or Lands End?! Just got to keep your earsd open and chech the jackdaw flocks.
Sorry, that should read "ears open and check the Jackdaw flocks"
Old Thursday 22nd November 2007, 11:51   #263
Conorbirda2

Up to four CATTLE EGRETS around the county yesterday. All seem pretty mobile and hard to pin down. See Cornwall Birding website for locations.
Old Friday 23rd November 2007, 14:33   #264
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

I see the Pacific Diver has returned or a new one has turned up most likely the same bird I would have thought wiv it being and adult an all of that. I should know coz I found it , just hope people who haven't seen one get it and people who douted it earlier this year can go and have a look for themselves.

Best wishes,
Lee
Old Friday 23rd November 2007, 15:15   #265
henerz1

I'll be going to have a look. Saw your bird Lee earlier this year but wouldn't mind views of under 1km away!
Old Friday 23rd November 2007, 15:28   #266
birder of the south
Formerly Lee Fuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerz1 View Post
I'll be going to have a look. Saw your bird Lee earlier this year but wouldn't mind views of under 1km away!
ahh thats a shame when I first found it I had great views down to 100m or less.
Old Friday 23rd November 2007, 16:02   #267
henerz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorbirda2 View Post
Up to four CATTLE EGRETS around the county yesterday. All seem pretty mobile and hard to pin down. See Cornwall Birding website for locations.
No sign of the two Penryn birds this morning. 3 mornings in a row was asking too much!
Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 14:47   #268
Darren Pearce

I am spending the weekend based at Hayle. I will be with the family. How easy is it to see the Green Winged Teal at Hayle Estuary. Birdguides says from the B3301 bridge. Will this mean a prolonged search over a massive expanse of water ?

Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 16:46   #269
Andrew
wibble wibble

Usually standing on the bridge and scoping each Teal close by will score you the one with a vertical flank stripe.

Sometimes it is just below the bridge.
Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 19:56   #270
Chris Oates
Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pearce View Post
I am spending the weekend based at Hayle. I will be with the family. How easy is it to see the Green Winged Teal at Hayle Estuary. Birdguides says from the B3301 bridge. Will this mean a prolonged search over a massive expanse of water ?
As Andrew says - it's easy - providing that it's not top of the tide, as soon as the water has dropped a little the birds return to the channel to roost or browse.
The birds are very accomodating at Hayle and stick to the same territory year after year, the Teal are always near the bridge - the Wigeon overlap a bit but are generally nearer Lelant Station (the American bird was there).
When you are at the bridge look right to see a small factory 3/4 mile down the road, in the estuary behind it there are three stumps and there's usually a Peregrine on one of them with Shelduck walking around it.
From those stumps across to Lelant Station is Greenshank/Spotted Redshank turf.
If the weather is nasty the Egrets will be hiding behind short reeds forwards and left from the bridge near the black railway bridge that carries the branch line across the road.
Don't forget to see the Kingfishers in Ryan's field behind you, usually a Snipe too.
If the GW Teal is facing wrong way and asleep the eye gives it away - it's missing the thin white line under the eye which probably has a correct name
Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 20:05   #271
Darren Pearce

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go

Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 21:50   #272
LowFeller

Hi. I am stayinh at Padstow for 3 days (around 13th Dec). I will have the chance to spend 1 day bird watching while my better half is Christmas shopping in Truro! There does not appear to be any obvious place to visit relatively nearby, but I don't know the area and I am very much a beginner.

I would be very grateful of any suggestions.

Loaf
Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 21:57   #273
Andrew
wibble wibble

There is the Camel Trail and there are one or two hides on it overlooking the river but my recollection is vague. Hopefully one or two will come along with more advice soon.
Old Thursday 29th November 2007, 23:10   #274
henerz1

Truro often has a Black Redstart around the Cathedral and Coop store nearby if you have to spend any time in the city. There are at present 4 Avocets at St Clement on the Tresillian River just east of Truro with Greenshanks.
There are a few spots on the north coast which include good areas for Corn Bunting but I don't have a good knowledge of the area.
Hope this helps.
Cheers. Henerz.
Old Sunday 2nd December 2007, 00:17   #275
LowFeller

Well that's a helpful start - thanks Henerz and Andrew. Much appreciated. The Cornwall Birding website has some helpful pointers by the looks of things.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: