Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Wednesday 25th April 2007, 22:30   #51
henerz1

Anyone heading that way past falmouth fancy giving me a lift, it's impossible to get there on public transport...

Cheers peeps!
Old Saturday 28th April 2007, 12:39   #52
Tav94

Had walk around Rame area had a Reed Warbler in hedg on the road near to the battery car park allso 5 Common Whitethroats,and 1 Lesser Whitethroat on the lower foot Path out to sea saw 30+ Razorbill 3 Manx Shearwater,6 Gannets.
Old Saturday 28th April 2007, 17:19   #53
henerz1

Managed to blag a lift this afternoon and the 7 Glossy Ibis were showing pretty well on the 2nd turning to Cadgwith in a field on the right. Other birds seen on the lizard included 2 Chough at the lizard point, 1 whitethroat, 3 willow warbler and 1 cuckoo at Windmill farm CBWPS.
Old Saturday 28th April 2007, 17:52   #54
Tav94

Nice one glad you got to see them great birds i allso saw the Cuckoo at Windmill farm sat on the fence.
Old Friday 4th May 2007, 13:27   #55
Tav94

Rame to Penlee Point

Rame area 2 Hobbys first thing over the battery,10 Common Whitethroats,3Chiffchaff,2 Willow Warbler,3 Blackcap,1 Garden Warbler 12 Wheatear on the dump field,Red Kite seen to fly over Maker Church not seen by me but by outhers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554_filtered_filtered_1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	83032  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583_filtered_1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	83033  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589_filtered_1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	83034  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595_filtered_1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	83035  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559_1.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	83036  

Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 12:55   #56
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon.birder View Post
RBA Pager reports that 3 Glossy Ibises flew SW over Saltings Reach, Hayle at 4.10pm today. I will be down in West Cornwall for a few days next week so let's hope they land somewhere and stay around for a while. Roger
Seems funny now after all the sightings! Did you get to see any?
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 13:05   #57
Conorbirda2

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going, especially TAV94!! I'm working on a new website at the moment so would appreciate your sightings, comments and photos for that soon (www.cornwall-birding.co.uk). Will put a new thread on when its up and running properly.
Not that much to report in the way of birds apart from:
Quail - singing yesterday evening at Nanjizal
few Pomskuas seen in mounts bay and roseate tern there on tuesday.
Stone curlew - sennen, flew north over Trinity cottages at 5.50pm yesterday
American herring gull in fields near sennen too, yesterday.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 13:11   #58
Andrew
wibble wibble

Looking forward to the website when it gets going, Paul.

(Hope I got your name right!)
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 13:27   #59
henerz1

Sounds like a great idea, should bring together more members of the cornwall birding community. Looking forward to the website.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 13:27   #60
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Looking forward to the website when it gets going, Paul.

(Hope I got your name right!)
Yes, well remembered my friend!! Hopefully in the next few weeks we will be a little more user friendly! Hope your well, not seen you for ages!
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 13:31   #61
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerz1 View Post
Sounds like a great idea, should bring together more members of the cornwall birding community. Looking forward to the website.
Cheers, looking forward to your support. Hope we dont get too much flack from the CWBPS website! Thats getting like the 'North Cornwall birdwatchers society'!!
Henerz, i notice your location states Manchester? Thought you lived in Falmouth? Have we met?
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 14:02   #62
henerz1

I'm at uni in Falmouth and reside less often these days in Manchester, hols and stuff. Not sure if we've met, I was at the gyr twitch one night and a few other places - autumn seawatching from porthgwarra, siberian stonechat+r.b.shrike last autumn too.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 14:36   #63
devon.birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conorbirda2 View Post
Seems funny now after all the sightings! Did you get to see any?
HI. Yes, I saw the two near Cadgwith but dipped on the others at Hayle Kimbro. Do you know what the access is at these pools?. I parked in the layby opposite when I saw the vehicle of a well known Cornish Birder parked there. I climbed over the style opposite on the grounds that a landowner would not put a style on a main road if there was no public footpath across his land. The other Birder saw me and waved me over to the pool although the GIs were not there. Later that afternoon there was a message on the RBA Pager advising Birders that this was private land and to keep to footpath (not marked as far as I could see). The only other Birders that came whilst I was there were three local ones who seemed familiar with the site. Roger
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 17:59   #64
Buzzard1905

hi to you all,im coming to cornwall for a week on 23rd june staying at a place called trencreek farm,st austell.Was wondering what good places there are to go birding in the area.any locations would be very helpful.thank you
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 20:27   #65
henerz1

St Austell sewage works is a good spot for warblers, probably nothing too rare at this time of year but you never know! Par Pool is a nice walk and some good stuff turns up there. I dont know the area particularly well so thats all I can say. Thanks
Henerz
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 20:54   #66
Conorbirda2

Quote:
I'm at uni in Falmouth and reside less often these days in Manchester, hols and stuff. Not sure if we've met, I was at the gyr twitch one night and a few other places - autumn seawatching from porthgwarra, siberian stonechat+r.b.shrike last autumn too.
LOL... see you changed your location names!! I was at the Gyr but early morning. Been abroad for two weeks so missed most of the spring stuff. Not that there was a lot anyway! Looking forward to Waders and Seawatching now! Hope to bump into you one day.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 20:57   #67
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon.birder View Post
HI. Yes, I saw the two near Cadgwith but dipped on the others at Hayle Kimbro. Do you know what the access is at these pools?. I parked in the layby opposite when I saw the vehicle of a well known Cornish Birder parked there. I climbed over the style opposite on the grounds that a landowner would not put a style on a main road if there was no public footpath across his land. The other Birder saw me and waved me over to the pool although the GIs were not there. Later that afternoon there was a message on the RBA Pager advising Birders that this was private land and to keep to footpath (not marked as far as I could see). The only other Birders that came whilst I was there were three local ones who seemed familiar with the site. Roger
Sorry, Hayle Kimbro is somewhere i havent been! I saw all seven 'glassy eye pieces' at Cadgwith. I'm sure someone on here will know. I'll try and find out soon.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 21:11   #68
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard1905 View Post
hi to you all,im coming to cornwall for a week on 23rd june staying at a place called trencreek farm,st austell.Was wondering what good places there are to go birding in the area.any locations would be very helpful.thank you
I'd try heading further west for a seawatch! The quote in 'Where to watch birds in Devon and Cornwall' for the St Austell Bay area is: June-july: Tourist season, busy, no special interest. !!!! You might get something at Par Beach pool. Davidstow Airfield is always a possibility for a good wader turning up although June is a bit early. The wods and moors around there are good for species found in that habitat (Dipper, Marsh tit, willow tit, siskin, redpoll etc. And Lesser pecker if your very lucky!) Are you on a birding trip or with family?
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 21:13   #69
Conorbirda2

Had half an hour on Hayle Estuary tonight. Loads of dunlin and ringed plovers. One Blk T Godwit, 2 whimbrel and a few Little Egrets were only other birds of note.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 21:27   #70
henerz1

Wader passage has been very slow this spring in cornwall for some reason??? Couple of Greenshank and 2 Whimbrel near Falmouth have been the highlights around here.
Old Thursday 31st May 2007, 22:53   #71
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Wader passage has been very slow this spring in cornwall for some reason??? Couple of Greenshank and 2 Whimbrel near Falmouth have been the highlights around here.
Yeah, not much to yell about. Its never that great anyway, its the return journey when we get the goodies down here.
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 09:43   #72
henerz1

Cool, i'm already looking foward!
Old Sunday 3rd June 2007, 12:19   #73
SUPPRESSOR

Still something of interest at spit beach (Par) 28,common scoter,1,great N diver in breeding plumage,8,sandwich terns,3,whimbrel.All yesterday afternoon (02-06-07) Thats if you can see through this mist!!Also yesterday 4,willow tits at Treskillian downs,always a good site for this species.
fiddler.
Old Sunday 3rd June 2007, 19:13   #74
Conorbirda2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDDLER View Post
Still something of interest at spit beach (Par) 28,common scoter,1,great N diver in breeding plumage,8,sandwich terns,3,whimbrel.All yesterday afternoon (02-06-07) Thats if you can see through this mist!!Also yesterday 4,willow tits at Treskillian downs,always a good site for this species.
fiddler.
Fiddler, welcome to the thread. Where is Treskillian Downs? I still need willow for my Cornwall list! Paul
Old Sunday 3rd June 2007, 19:31   #75
PaulK
Accident Prone Birdwatcher

I was down for a nice relaxing holiday last week with the family. Unfortunately only managed one good days birding which was down at the Lizard on 31st. It turned out to be an excellent morning. My main aim was to see the Choughs and was rewarded with excellent views of the 4 juveniles as well as the adults later on. I then turned to the sea where the first bird I saw was a Storm Petrel. In the next hour and a half I logged the following passing from the chough watchpoint: Manx Shearwater (120+), Storm Petrel (8), Razorbill (5), Guillemot (1), Kittiwake (6). There were also plenty of Gannets and Fulmar about as well as 2 Whimbrel at the base of the cliff.

Other highlights of the week were Dipper at Respryn, Peregrine and Rock Pipit out on Newlands and Raven at Rough Tor.

In all a very enjoyable week with lots of birds about. Got to see much of the warblers/summer migrants that I often miss when I go in August.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: