Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old Wednesday 26th August 2015, 09:27   #1826
devon.birder

Best to park at Ryans Field RSPB and then walk past the hide down to the estuary. Go through the gate and cross the dual carriageway. Look over the wall and you will be standing on the "road bridge". Roger
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 07:56   #1827
Skuaed

Good morning
I am a Norfolk based birder, booked on my pelagic from the Scillys early August. Since my bird list is 99% Norfolk & Suffolk I was wonder what I could find if I extended my stay a day or two. What are my chances of finding chough or cirl Bunting?

Thanks in advance ��
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 08:30   #1828
tonymills

On mainland Cornwall you'll find Chough quite easy anywhere along the coast from Porthgwarra to Pendeen, best spots are likely to be Kenidjack to Bottalack. For Cirl Bunts you'll need to go upcountry to the Roseland Peninsula.
cheers,
tony
Old Sunday 27th December 2015, 15:49   #1829
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Tony must be a real Penwith stalwart to call the Roseland peninsula 'upcountry'. It must be at least twenty miles !!

Steve
Old Monday 28th December 2015, 10:04   #1830
Skuaed

Tony
Thank you for advice and encouragement.
Old Friday 27th January 2017, 16:29   #1831
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Cornwall Birding Thread

Evening all, seems like an eternity since I was on Birdforum and looks like the Cornwall Birding thread has taken a bit of a break! Last thread was over 12 months ago!! Gonna try and rectify that seeing as it is Cornwall Birdings 10th Anniversary at the end of May this year. It all started with this thread on the 14th February 2007 and the website started proper on 14th June 2007. Since then we have gone from strength to strength and now boast between 20 and 30,000 hits per month. Im hoping to put some regular sightings and other Cornwall Birding stuff on the thread, so feel free to start adding your own sightings again.

cheers,

Paul

Cornwall Birding Daily Sightings
My Blog
Old Friday 27th January 2017, 16:34   #1832
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Todays Sightings so far in Cornwall 27/01/2017

Penzance Pacific Diver off Jubilee Pool at 0900hrs. Also Common Scoter (10+), Ringed Plover (48), Sanderling (80+), Purple Sandpiper (12), Eider (drk) and Med Gull.

Sancreed Cattle Egret (3) in fields at Sellan Farm viewed from car park at Drift reservoir. Also Mandarin (2), Great Crested Grebe (3) and Wigeon (15+) at Drift Reservoir.

Mousehole Eastern Black Redstart still on rocks between Rockpool cafe and harbour car park, showing well. Also Grey Wagtail (2), and Rock Pipit (2)

More at www.cornwall-birding.co.uk

My Blog
Old Friday 27th January 2017, 16:38   #1833
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Penzance Pacific Diver etc...

The Diver was quite difficult at times this morning. It wasn't particularly distant but the swell and wind made viewing quite difficult and the bird was constantly diving. Same went for the small flock of Common Scoter. Waders at Jubilee pool were much more obliging tho. Never seen so many sanderling condensed into that small beach just over the sea wall! Good views of the 12 or so Purple Sandpipers too.
And the Eastern Black Redstart showed well again at Mousehole!

My Blog
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 20:04   #1834
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Bit Blowy Down West

Very windy with a few heavy showers today and more to come over the next 24hrs by the looks of things. Todays news so far from Cornwall Birding website:

Saltash Cattle Egret (3) at Kingsmill Lake, viewed from Hide at China Fleet Club (Thanks C.Buckland)

Freathy Cattle Egret (2) still in horse paddock at Radford Lane between Stone Farm and Withnoe Barton this afternoon

Bude Cattle Egret (5) on rugby pitch this morning (Thanks R.Maye)

Penzance Yellow-legged Gull (ad) at Larrigan Rocks. Also Med Gull (4) (Thanks G.Hobin)

My Blog
Old Thursday 2nd February 2017, 20:07   #1835
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Monthly Round-up in Cornwall - January 2017

New Years Day saw the Pacific Diver, Eastern Black Redstart and Hudsonian Whimbrel still in their respective wintering quarters in Mounts Bay and the now resident Spoonbill remained at Hayle. A Ring-billed Gull was on the Gannel Estuary and the Penpol Creek Cattle Egret Roost numbered seventeen individuals. There were a further three still at Sellan Farm, Sancreed and three at Bude. A Yellow-browed Warbler was at Swanvale, Falmouth and a Yellow-legged Gull and Caspian Gull were at Marazion. Two Black-necked Grebes were at Drift Reservoir and the Carrick Roads held a further six birds along with eight Red-breasted Mergansers and and Velvet Scoter. READ MORE..........

My Blog
Old Saturday 4th February 2017, 16:13   #1836
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Todays Reports so far from Cornwall

Perranuthnoe Hudsonian Whimbrel (ad) still at Trenow Cove mid morning. Pacific Diver (ad) offshore mid morning. Also Black-throated Diver (33) and Great Northern Diver (5)

Millbrook Cattle Egret (2) in horse paddock off Radford Lane at Stone Farm at 1025hrs

Hayle Ring-billed Gull (2w) still on Hayle Estuary RSPB early afternoon then flew over A30. Spoonbill still on estuary at Copperhouse Creek. No sign of Green-winged Teal.

For more updates see HERE

My Blog
Old Monday 6th February 2017, 02:43   #1837
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Sunday 5th February Cornwall Bird Sightings

Saltash Cattle Egret (2) off Radford Lane in horse paddock at Stone Farm at 1400hrs

St Erth Cattle Egret still in fields off Trenoweth Lane late afternoon

Bude Cattle Egret (2) at Bude Marshes (CBWPS)

Helston Iceland Gull (2) at Helston Boating Lake today

Newquay Ring-billed Gull still on Gannel Estuary at midday, also Iceland Gull. Iceland Gull (juv) still at Porth Reservoir this afternoon

See more.......

My Blog
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 13:00   #1838
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Wednesday 8th February 2017 - Cornwall Sightings

Perranuthnoe Hudsonian Whimbrel again in Boat Cove today

Saltash American Wigeon again at Kingsmill Lake. Also Spotted Redshank, (Thanks C.Buckland)

St Erth Cattle Egret in field off Trenoweth Lane showing well this afternoon.

Devoran Cattle Egret (3) and Little Egret (21) in roost this evening. (CBWPS)

Bude Great White Egret at Bude Marshes at 1420hrs then flew east.

Read More..........

My Blog
Old Thursday 9th February 2017, 13:02   #1839
Paul Freestone
Cornwall Birding

Smile St Erth Cattle Egret

The Cattle Egret is still showing well this morning. From the main A30 take Station Hill towards St Erth, past the railway station on your left, under the bridge, past the entrance to the recycling plant, round the right hand bend past the farm on your left and the bird is in the second field on your left which runs up to the housing estate.

My Blog
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: