• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharp-shinned hawk (?) on my balcony (1 Viewer)

Socar MYLES

I am quite new to birding--or, at least, to photographing my finds, as I never had good enough camera equipment for clear shots, till recently. Until today, my best find was a northern flicker, messing around on the roof of an adjacent building. But tonight, just as the sun was fading, this lovely bird (which I have tentatively identified as a sharp-shinned hawk) landed right on the railing of my balcony:

no_wait_dont_go_birds.jpg

I only managed to get one rather mediocre shot of it, before it flew off. I think it heard my shutter click. It was sitting so close to me that I could almost have reached out and touched it, if I'd wanted to lose a finger.

Anyway, I hope I see it again; I really like this bird.

If you were that close to it can you estimate it's size? Was it somewhat larger than a Blue Jay or closer to a Crow in size? If the latter, it was a Cooper's Hawk. What ever it was it is a Juvenile which is probably why it got so close to you. Juveniles have pale iris's and streaked breasts and abdomens.

Here is a good article on Sharp-shinned Hawks and Coopers Hawks.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/accipiterIDtable.htm

Bob

I think you may be right--I was very excited to see it, and didn't stop to look too closely before diving for the camera. But it was quite a big, solid-looking bird, more crow-sized than jay-sized. So, a Cooper's hawk is the likely candidate, then? Thank you for the information. I didn't even know we had them, here!

Wheeler's range maps in his RAPTORS of Western North America shows that both Cooper's Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawks are year round residents in the Vancouver area.

Bob

That's definitely a Cooper's Hawk, a nice chunky immature. The photo is a female immature cooper's lounging in a yard.

Attachments

• 296039_10150284699519732_4108018_n.jpg
    296039_10150284699519732_4108018_n.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Ah, yes, that definitely looks like the same bird. Thanks for showing it to me! I wish I had a yard, so this type of bird might drop in more often!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back