• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your local patch (1 Viewer)

Sn@ve

I realize before I even ask this question that there will be many different answers. Kind of similar to the "lifer" question I posted a few days ago. Anyway, here goes. When you refer to your "local patch" how large an area are you talking about? I consider my yard to be my "local patch", this means that the birds I've seen and identified have all been on about a 1 acre plot of land.

My local patch is where I can walk carrying my binoculars, but not more than an hour for an excursion.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

cavan wood said:
I posed a similar question to this a few weeks ago. Here is a link to that thread. But in the meantime, mine is a 80 acre or so parcel of woods and farmland owned privately by a number of individuals. It's adjacent to my yard, so I don't have to drive there.

Cheers,
Scott

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30564

I apologize for not using the search feature. I appreciate the responses so far though and thanks for the link to the other thread. Those were exactly the type of responses that I was looking for.

I hope everyone has a great day. I'm off to work in the next few minutes.

I heartily endorse the view that your local patch is an area near your home where you walk, not drive. The minute you get into your car you're not local any more!

Alan Hill

I personally have four local patches (five if you count my garden).

Two are short walks which start and end at my garden boundary, going in roughly opposite directions, and two are drives of about 2 miles from my home. First one to a dissused railine, now a picnic site country walk; the second is a nature reserve. I need to drive as I have walking difficluties, but as they are only 2 miles from home, I still count them as "my patch".

Due to certain circumstances beyond my control, I am what I think is termed an occasional watcher/recorder, but the main thing - patch/non patch - occasional/regular - is that I still enjoy my birds, and will continue to do so whatever.

Regards,

My local patch consists of a 1/4 mile stretch of road next to my home, the 1 acre patch of woods adjoining the road and the pond/bushline at the edge of the property my apartment sits on. About a 1-hour circuit at a birder's pace.

I would agree with no specifics.It all depends on what you hope to see.
My "local" patches are;The hill behind my house for woodland birds,a headland 4 miles away for sea birds and migrants, the Somerset levels 20 miles away for waders and over wintering wildfowl

I have 2 local Patches Cammo Gardens which is all woodland & my local park although I do go to the park more often then cammo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back