• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch is my next quarry where? (1 Viewer)

I've just had a quick 'phone around' and there are 75 of us (mates & wives) flying out to your place tomorrow. If you can have the bacon butties ready for 11.00 it would be appreciated. We dont need beds as we are bringing sleeping bags.
Thanks
:t:

Please bring plenty of t-bags, the tea here is rubbish.

If any of you ever come back..... the hawfinches were showing well in the car park at Sizergh Castle yesterday morning (through the fog !) and again this morning in better conditions. We watched a male picking up items of food from the leaf litter and presenting them to a female on the ground. Courtship?
Peter

I might take a ride over to Lynford Arboretum in the week, its only 60 miles form me, just to have a look see, anywhere I should concentrate on, best place......

Thanks for all the replies.............

The best place to park is the car park at the back right next to the paddocks, then walk round the paddocks to the right and stand with the carpark to your left. does that make sense? then stand in the middle of the paddock, behind the fence ;)

But it has been known they can be seen from all angles of the paddock.

Good luck and let us know how you got on :t:

Been to Clumber Park too to TRY and find them but it was when the kids was off school (yeah not a good idea) and nothing but a suspect LSW distant so im not counting it as it! But Siskin everywhere.

I went to Lynford Arboretum to-day, the sun was out, good light, meet several people looking for Hawfinch but none were seen at all. I proceeded past the paddock to a small pond that others had seen Crossbill coming down for water, stayed about two hours just sitting/leaning up against a tree with a good view of the Pond, but no Hawfinch, saw some female Crossbills in the bins but two faraway for pics, all the usual birds came down for a drink. anyway enjoyed myself and will go back in the future.

Cromford church near Matlock Derbyshire always produces a few

Terry
Its a good place probably better in autumn/winter. Think they've been a bit scarce this winter at Cromford after last years great showings, been a few times with no luck. Well worth a visit though, dipper and goosander on the river and a variety of species on the canal.

Phil

Just came back from a couple of days in the Southern Lakes staying about 1 mile from Sizergh so managed to visit Tues, Wed and this morning. Each day there was about 7 or so flitting around the trees and a couple that do come down on the grass to feed. Yesterday was best when 3 were down at the same time and we were the only people who had got up to see them. If you do go get there for about 730 in the morning.

Any pics of them Marmot, hampers,will keep it in mind for next year.

Ian was the one with the camera so keep an eye on his photos in the gallery or I will try and sweet talk him to put some here. I just had the video camera but managed to get some good footage of them. Just wish I knew how to condense the file size on them to put them opn BF TV.

Seven was the largest group we had in view in the trees in front of us but we had sightings of 20+ each visit. I've heard reports of up to 17 being seen together.

Every now and again a few came down to feed on the grass verge of the car park right in front of where we were parked.

Attachments

• IMG_8730aboo.jpg
    IMG_8730aboo.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0661aoo.jpg
    IMG_0661aoo.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 65
Are the Hawfinch there all year Ian, nice pics, how far away was you, yes hampers looks like very productive place for them.

Are the Hawfinch there all year Ian, nice pics, how far away was you, yes hampers looks like very productive place for them.

They're resident birds but once the leaves come out they're very difficult to spot. I forgot to mention we were visiting at 7.30am though really 8.00-8.45am was the most productive. They were still being seen after that though the Hall and cafe open at 11.00am and the place gets very busy. We called one afternoon but there was far too much activity/disturbance around the car park and didn't see any at all.

We were stood by the car in a parking bay on the other side of the entrance road about 20m from where they were feeding. Apparently some people have been parking in the bays right beside the grass verge and viewing from the car from 2-3m - though that sounds a little inconsiderate as it would block the view for other people.

We saw them there last November as well but views weren't anything like as good or prolonged - leaves were still a big problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back