• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Avon (1 Viewer)

picknage

Hi, I have just moved to Keynsham between Bristol and Bath. I was hoping to see tree sparrows, corn buntings, dippers, jack snipe, woodlarks, lesser spotted woodpecker and grey partridge.

Does anyone know of any sites within about an hours drive?

What about any sites near Keynsham itself that are good for general birding?

Thanks in advance, Nick Page

Corn Buntings and Grey Partridge can both be found at Marshfield, just off the a420 which runs between Bristol and Chippenham. Grey Partridge are becoming increasingly rare though.
The best spot for Dippers locally is Willsbridge Mill (Avon Wildlife Trust site). For Jack Snipe you should try Severnside.The Grebe pond is the best spot (see http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/) for site details. As for Tree Sparrows, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Woodlark you'll have to wait for a twitchable bird. I haven't seen any of these three in the old county of Avon.

Chew Valley & Blagdon lake are pretty good for everything. Due to the size of these lakes though, can be a bit daunting at 1st. Jack Snipe are fairly common though at Chew.

As well as those already mentioned there are plenty of Coastal spots,Aust Wharf,Severn Estuary,Uphill Nature Reserve,Steart,Cheddar Reservoir,Shapwick and Ham Wall,Greylake,Catcott Lows,Canada Farm.
Google Somerset Ornithilogical society and the Somerset or Avon Wildlife trust sites for more info.
Also the Forest of Dean is within an hours drive.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back