• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiss Navy binoculars ! (1 Viewer)

Renze de Vries

Dear binocular historians,

Please have a good hard look at eBay item 220116003490.
No, I don't mean the binoculars, I mean the brand!

As every Dutch schoolchild from the age of 11 knows, the Swiss Navy was defeated by our fleet, led by admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter, in Syracuse Bay on February 30, 1676. Not one of their vessels ever returned from this famous battle.

best regards,

Renze

Dear binocular historians,

Please have a good hard look at eBay item 220116003490.
No, I don't mean the binoculars, I mean the brand!

As every Dutch schoolchild from the age of 11 knows, the Swiss Navy was defeated by our fleet, led by admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter, in Syracuse Bay on February 30, 1676. Not one of their vessels ever returned from this famous battle.

best regards,

Renze

Interesting!
So you think this is the pair of binoculars that Admiral Michiel Adriaenszoon de Ruyter used during the battle?
Or is it the one that the swiss Admiral used?

Puzzled (but I am no historian),
Tom

It was quite logical that more than the bog standard 7x50 issue was required; hence the 20x50 spec which can see several hundred miles. The right shoulder reads "99990x99990 Sehfeid 8m aut 988000m" which is indeed most impressive. I always understood the most senior rank in the Dutch navy was not Admiral but Field Marsh...

Oh, oh, please stop joking. There is a Swiss Navy indeed. And what's more, it's on the move.
See this: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch-sea.html
Quote: "Switzerland does have a small navy of sorts. Lakes Konstanz and Leman (Geneva) form international frontiers, and their navies consist of a few patrol craft. Switzerland also has a major Rhine commercial fleet (you can see the Swiss flag flying all the way to the Netherlands), with military patrol craft in time of war."
See that: all the way to the Netherlands?
I sincerely hope they'll be using Swiss Navy binoculars in time of war.

Renze

Last edited:
... Switzerland also has a major Rhine commercial fleet (you can see the Swiss flag flying all the way to the Netherlands), with military patrol craft in time of war."
See that: all the way to the Netherlands?..

There are even ocean going Swiss vessels, or at least, there used to be. But no military patrols anywhere outside our borders. Swiss flags on military whatever are either shown on the occasion of a friendly visit or when there are joint training outings. And of course on that not so genuine "army" knife. That's genuine Swiss (for now) at least. The Swiss navy binoculars are a joke of course, but maybe, they actually meant Swedish? That confusion is commonplace.

There are even ocean going Swiss vessels, or at least, there used to be. But no military patrols anywhere outside our borders. Swiss flags on military whatever are either shown on the occasion of a friendly visit or when there are joint training outings. And of course on that not so genuine "army" knife. That's genuine Swiss (for now) at least. The Swiss navy binoculars are a joke of course, but maybe, they actually meant Swedish? That confusion is commonplace.

Are these the same binoculars used by Captain Von Trapp, in his naval ascent of the Alps during the infamous Mission Sound of Music? As for confusing the Swiss and Sweedish, besides the "S" can someone tell me just what they have in common (besides fine cuisine)?

Oh, oh, please stop joking. There is a Swiss Navy indeed. And what's more, it's on the move.
See this: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch-sea.html
Quote: "Switzerland does have a small navy of sorts. Lakes Konstanz and Leman (Geneva) form international frontiers, and their navies consist of a few patrol craft. Switzerland also has a major Rhine commercial fleet (you can see the Swiss flag flying all the way to the Netherlands), with military patrol craft in time of war."
Renze

Oh dear?
They're on the move?
And all this happens while the german army is in Afghanistan to safeguard the poppy fields.
We can only hope that the Swiss are not going to block the Rhine again by dumping their fearful cheese mines again.

I think the dutch Navy uses the same kind of weapon, don't they?

Are these the same binoculars used by Captain Von Trapp, in his naval ascent of the Alps during the infamous Mission Sound of Music? As for confusing the Swiss and Sweedish, besides the "S" can someone tell me just what they have in common (besides fine cuisine)?

I think in addition to the same binoculars the swiss and the sweetish navies are employing the same type of air-craft carrier, don't they.

didn't von Trapp die in the high mountains when his attempted invasion of Italy was stopped by troup of elephants, so they got trapped on a high pass in deep winter. von Trapp admitted defeat when he found the elephants could trumpet louder and had better resonance than his own squadron.
He hadn't seen the elephants coming for he did not have a pair of swiss navy binoculars.

Tom

There are even ocean going Swiss vessels, ....

The far-sighted Swiss.....
Always prepared for things to come.
I know we are to expect some degree of rise of sea levels due to climatic change.
But isn't it slightly over-optimistic to expect Switzerland to become the adria of he North?

I think in addition to the same binoculars the swiss and the sweetish navies are employing the same type of air-craft carrier, don't they. ... Tom

Thanks for chiming in, Tom. Actually, they DO share the same air-craft carrier, but it closes at 6PM, Monday through Friday, 4PM Weekends. In case of war, please call back during their regular business hours.

Thanks for chiming in, Tom. Actually, they DO share the same air-craft carrier, but it closes at 6PM, Monday through Friday, 4PM Weekends. In case of war, please call back during their regular business hours.

"Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports and skin dive
Study oceanography
Sign of for the big band
Or sit in the grandstand
When your team and others meet

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, people, make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can't you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure
Don't you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don't you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They're signing up new seamen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
Bout don't you worry 'bout a thing
For I'm sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)"

"Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports and skin dive
Study oceanography
Sign of for the big band
Or sit in the grandstand
When your team and others meet

In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure
Don't you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don't you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They're signing up new seamen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
Bout don't you worry 'bout a thing
For I'm sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)"

Ah, I see you called after business hours and got their singing answering machine.

Ah, I see you called after business hours and got their singing answering machine.

The transcription was quite a challenge. They had a terrible accent, half "Heidi"/half french.
But I think the swiss Navy uses the same outfit as the original boy-group.

Maybe they are going to make the song their national anthem after the tragedy on Lake Geneva!!

Mourning,
Tom

The transcription was quite a challenge. They had a terrible accent, half "Heidi"/half french.
But I think the swiss Navy uses the same outfit as the original boy-group.

Maybe they are going to make the song their national anthem after the tragedy on Lake Geneva!!

Mourning,
Tom

Thank you Tom, for quoting a song on Birdforum. With all its beautiful repeats it reminds me strongly of a certain bird singing in my garden for the last couple of years. But not this year! So this fills a gap, Im happy.

However, I'm not so happy with Robert calling The Sound of Music 'infamous'. Robert, please listen! There's only one not-so-good song in The Sound of Music, and if you can't stand the voice of Julie Andrews (pity you!) take the ouverture, which says it all. This is some of Richard Rogers' greatest music. Which means this is some of America's greatest music. Pardon me.

Renze

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back