• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Cure for Swinging Binoculars (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
Does anyone else get irritated by their binoculars gaining momentum and swinging from side to side as you walk? I have discovered that by taking hold of the strap on each side of the binoculars and pulling down slightly on one side and up on the other, so that they no longer hang level, the swaying is reduced if not completely eliminated. I have to repeat the process every so often but it does help. It probably works best with lightish binoculars and a grippy strap to prevent them immediately levelling themselves.

Ron

Last edited:
Does anyone else get irritated by their binoculars gaining momentum and swinging from side to side as you walk?
Ron

Yes!!

The problem seems to be worse with porro prism bins, from distant memories of owning leica trinovids and other roof prisms (weeps) I recall they rest flat against the chest and were a little more stable.

Those binocular harnesses may help a little but look far too fiddly for my liking!

Matt

(Narrowly resisted large breasted woman gag!!)

A worse problem I have, now that I'm venturing tentatively into the photography world, is binoculars and camera clanking together - and wielding the two items of equipment at the same time generally! Things have improved since shortening the bins strap considerably. It only needs to be long enough to raise to your eyes...

I must say I found the binocular harnesses pretty unwieldy myself. They tend to slip off the shoulders no matter how you adjust the straps.

I have one set of harnesses for the heaviest bins. They still swing a little, as I wear them very loosely. The point for me is to get the pressure off the neck and to the shoulders.

I tried to help my other half yesterday by putting her binocular strap under her collar at the back to make it more comfortable. Unfortunately, as I pulled down on the strap, the bins shot up at the front and hit her under the chin. My efforts didn't get the appreciation they deserved!

Ron

Last edited:
(Narrowly resisted large breasted woman gag!!)

Actually, I think large breasted women must have an advantage in this respect as the binoculars rest horizontally rather than vertically. If you can arrange it it could be worth taking one along to carry your binoculars for you. ;)

A worse problem I have, now that I'm venturing tentatively into the photography world, is binoculars and camera clanking together - and wielding the two items of equipment at the same time generally! Things have improved since shortening the bins strap considerably. It only needs to be long enough to raise to your eyes...

I thought that's what my wife was for, carrying my camera until I need it. Why else would I take her on holiday?8-P

I must say I found the binocular harnesses pretty unwieldy myself. They tend to slip off the shoulders no matter how you adjust the straps.

I find my harness great, completely eliminates swinging by the bins, so much better than a strap

If you have a decent harness, it's impossible for them to ship off your shoulders.

Jaeger near Chicago

They swing because of the pendulum effect. The rhythm of you walking makes the binoculars move. If the strap is a particular length the pendulum becomes harmonised and the effect is magnified and repeated.

The answer is to change the strap length to destroy the harmonisation. As Simon points out above, the simplest way is to shorten the strap.

What works really well for me is to have them inside my half-zipped fleece. You can still whip them out in a flash but they are restricted from bouncing around. An added bonus is that they never steam up on a cold day because they are the same temp as my eyeballs!
Cheers.

Agreed.

I shorten the strap so that I can lift the binocular to my face. In such a position, it usually rests about 3" below my chin.

Also, as mentioned above, they can be "stuck" inside the shirt or coat when on the move.

SM

Since starting this thread I have taken the advice given and shortened the strap on my Trinovids. It was a bit fiddly using the snap clips but the binoculars now hang quite a bit higher on my chest. Some walking round my living room suggests they might not swing so much, so I am looking forward to testing them properly at the weekend.

My binoculars can now hang straight rather than crooked too which is much more aesthetically pleasing. ;)

Ron

I have used one of the harnesses for years with my Swarovski bins (quite heavy). They are a bit fiddly to put on, but once in place they are so much more comfortable and the weight 'disappears'. No more 'bouncing'. No neck ache at the end of the day (important for those of us with advancing years and a touch of arthritis). You can run, if needed so much more easily. You can usually find adverts for them in the birding magazines. I would never return to an ordinary strap again.
Sue

I recently bought a harness because of neckache and find it very easy to put on and use,again because of advancing years. Bought on internet from a shop in Hull,next day delivery!! Ted

Bino straps? What are those? Harness all the way. 4 days in the mountains with 30oz binos: no fatigue, no neck strain. And even with light 8x32 binos, it is possible to strain your neck (and your upper spinal column) if you are using a strap around your neck all day.

Vandit

Thumbs up on the harness. No strain on the neck. No bounce and they are not reallly hard to get along with at all.

A very workable solution is the Bino Manager, sold by Amazon on the web for about $35.
It carries the binoculars on a pair of wide shoulder straps which are linked by elastic webbing to a partial pouch carried on the chest. The binocs are held inside the pouch, so they don't bounce around, plus are protected from branches or splashes, but remain instantly accessible.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back