• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with scops-owl (1 Viewer)

Papuan birder

- Lost in the Pacific -
Hello,

Back on New Guinea now and spend the first few days in Port Moresby, I walked in a fruit/pet market a few days ago and come a cross a bird which I wasent very familiar with, I know its somekind of scops-owl but not sure which species it is.

EDIT: opps sorry, but it in wrong category. can someone please move it to the id section.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 190
Interesting. It certainly looks like a scops to me, but, as far as I'm aware the only scops owl found in PNG is the Moluccan Scops. However, this bird is only found on Biak and, obviously, the Moluccas. It seems surprising to me that one should turn up in a pet market in Port Moresby. I suppose that if it's come from that far away it could belong to various other species of scops owl. It's tantalising, though, to wonder if it might have been caught locally,
John

... further to the above I note that most authorities now split the Biak population. Browing my various books on owls it does seem odd that PNG is so relatively impoverished in terms of owls. Odd too that some sort of scops Owl isn't found there when it is found in what must be, superficially at least, similar habitats elswhere. It does look as if this bird must have come a very long way however it got to Port Moresby! I've taken the liberty of emailing your photo to an old friend of mine who is something of an expert on the birds of Papua New Guinea. If he's not off somewhere exotic leading a bird tour (as is probably the case) I'll pass any comments on to you,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back