• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird with blue eye ring (1 Viewer)

texassue

I can't figure this one out. This picture was taken April 27 at Paradise Pond in Port Aransas on the South Texas coast.
blue eye ring.jpg

blue eye ring 2.jpg

Mourning, White-winged, and White-tipped Doves have blue around the eye, although it's normally not so pronounced as your bird. It's hard to tell which with a wet bird and not seeing its tail - I can see reasons why it's not any of the above!

Oh, and you have a Painted Bunting in photo #2, but I'm guessing you figured that out. ;-)

On edit: I agree that the shape looks like White-winged, but silly me I was hoping to see at least a little bit of white. I'll defer to the others.

Seems too beefy for a mourning and I'm not sure that white-tipped get that far north, though I'm jsut going off of a range map and we all know how they're often far from perfect.

The beak shape looks right for the white-winged. I think there's a bit of white showing in the first picture. I thought it was a dove, but the darkness and fluffiness of the wet bird made it hard to equate with other pictures on the Internet. I appreciate the i.d.!
About the painted bunting. I saw lots of females, as well as the pretty males, but now I read that immature males have a similar look. Is there a good way to distinguish?

I also see the white along the bottom of wing. I'd have to say it's a White-wing. White-winged Dove have spread their range over the years and are now quite common in North Texas and probably even more so around Port A. which is 450 miles south of here. Saw more of them this year at my feeders north of Fort Worth than Mourning Doves.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back