• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Wood, Challock, Kent (1 Viewer)

robinm

Not so much a day as an evening. It had been a hot day and although a slight breeze had blown up I thought it would be a good time for my first attempt to find nightjar this year.

I arrived well before dusk and as I pulled into the car park the last of the dog walkers was leaving - phew! A brief walk round a part of the wood was wonderfully peaceful with good numbers of singing willow warblers. My walk was also accompanied by the gentle purring of 2, maybe 3, turtle dove.

As the light began to fail I took up position in the area of the wood where I had seen the birds in previous years. The coppice is that much higher so maybe I'm in the wrong place.

As I wait a tawny owl hoots in the trees behind me and a roding woodcock grunts and squeaks its way over me several times as it makes its circuit of the wood.

At last the unmistakeable song of a nightjar starts to my right, immediately followed by another straight ahead. I move down the path closer to the second bird and wait again. After a few minutes I hear the call of another bird and then a pair appear above my head the male clapping his wings, the white wing spots clearly visible. Magic. They fly arond above me for almost a minute before flying off. Now the light is almost gone. As I head back to the car I hear 2 more males churring from a different area of coppice.

Better than sitting in front of the telly for the evening any day.

Hi Robin,

Fantastic - your report contained 2 lifers for me!!

Probably even better that watching Big Brother!!

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi Robin,

Fantastic - your report contained 2 lifers for me!!

Probably even better that watching Big Brother!!

Rgds... Ruby
Hi Ruvy - if you are in Surrey, do you know Thursley Common ? What would the lifers have been ?

No probs Phil....

I'm still a relatively new birder, so in the happy position of being able to pick up 'lifers' fairly regularly...

Both Woodcock and Nightjar are currently 'unticked' - but I'm hoping to organise an dusk trip out shortly with a view to looking for both. I know Thursley a bit (been there about 4 times) and know that it is good for Nightjar, but there are also some likely spots near my neck of the woods (East Surrey) so I was hoping to try for a 'local'.

Thanks for your interest..... Ruby

Ruby said:
No probs Phil....

I'm still a relatively new birder, so in the happy position of being able to pick up 'lifers' fairly regularly...

Both Woodcock and Nightjar are currently 'unticked' - but I'm hoping to organise an dusk trip out shortly with a view to looking for both. I know Thursley a bit (been there about 4 times) and know that it is good for Nightjar, but there are also some likely spots near my neck of the woods (East Surrey) so I was hoping to try for a 'local'.

Thanks for your interest..... Ruby

I used to visit Thursley when I lived in South London - I brought some friends down several years back, and as well as Nightjar and Woodcock we saw Hobby, Dartford Warbler, Turtle Dove and Woodlark. (while sitting not far froma Redstart nest, watching the Woodlark and Stonechat feed young)

Have you visited Langstone Harbour - I was brought up in Portsmouth and went there fairly frequently until about 12 years ago

Hi Phil,

Yes - I've had a couple of my lifers at Thursley..... Crossbill, Dartford Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler - I like it there even though I have heard it said that it can seem completely 'dead' on occasions - which I have experienced myself once.

Never been to Langstone Harbour, but we sometimes holiday down in that area - which birds is it good for??

Ruby said:
Hi Phil,

Yes - I've had a couple of my lifers at Thursley..... Crossbill, Dartford Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler - I like it there even though I have heard it said that it can seem completely 'dead' on occasions - which I have experienced myself once.

Never been to Langstone Harbour, but we sometimes holiday down in that area - which birds is it good for??

Long time since I have been there, but notables in the Autumn / Winter have included Bearded Tit, Short Eared Owl, Long Eared Owl, Brent Goose. I have an old B/W guide to the area which I will dig out and let you know what might be seen in summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back