• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Visits Shobrooke! (and bumps into Bonaparte!) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Here is today's diary entry for a brief look at Shobrooke Lake with a two star rarity showing . . .

16-02-03

On the way to some relatives I popped into Shobrooke Park to scan the lake with my scope. It had been a very long time since I last came here to fish and I was disappointed to see the platforms had been removed. I set up on what I thought was the deepest end of the lake and immediately found 2 Great Crested Grebes and a charming Little Grebe in the margins of the island on the right. In the islands’ trees were 4 Cormorants roosting, I could understand the attraction of this lake as there used to be plenty of silver Roach when I used to fish here. There were some Mallards too but the majority of the birds seemed to be on the right hand bank so I scanned some trees there before going round and casually sighted a Treecreeper without trying at all. I soon picked up my scope and headed closer to the other birds setting up on the concrete overflow. 4 Canada Geese soon came over to me with a very confusing brown ‘Canada’ with an orange bill lined with white around the edges. I was curious about this probable hybrid and wondered what sort of hybrid it could be. Along the short cropped grass bank were 13 Coots, some Mallards, a Jackdaw and 4 Pied Wagtails. On the water close by were a large part of 57 Black Headed Gulls and as usual I examined each gull until one made me stop with excitement. I had found a Gull that was easily comparable to the Black Headeds yet very different in many respects. To start off the mundane differences were the wings being a bit darker than the Black Headed Gulls’ yet still a light grey. The outline of the grey wings differed only slightly but I did not make any note of what the difference was as in my naivety, I did not consider this important. The primaries were very much similar to the Black Headed Gulls’ and the overall size was that it was slightly smaller. It was too large to be a Little Gull. The main clinching differences were that the head was a jet black continuing into a identically clean black bill. The bill was structurally the same as the Black Headed Gulls’. The amount of black on the head was considerably larger with the border being further down the back of the head than the Black Headed Gulls’. Finally there was a white eye ring running round a black eye broken at the rear of the eye. Everything about the bird’s plumage was so clean and fresh as if it had just come off a production line. I knew I had got something special and it was only that I got home and found my field notes and sloppy sketch very useful in identifying an adult summer plumaged Bonaparte’s Gull. My notes seemed to offer a text book description of the bird. When it dawned on me that this was a two star rarity and there was only one in Devon in the last bird report I immediately notified the county recorder. I also discussed it with someone on the internet (Harry Hussey) and feel very sure about this bird. It is a shame I have something planned for tomorrow meaning I cannot revisit it to take more notes possibly with another birder present.

. . . . discussions please about the Bonaparte's Gull.

Andrew,

Cetainly a good outing. I have not seen the Black-headed Gull, so cannot compare. That does sound like a Bonaparte.

Andrew

If only you could have got in touch with me some way. I was down at Prawle Point and Kingsbridge and could have gone after it myself. Oh well!! can't have it all I suppose. Especially after having such a good day yesterday.

John, I had thought of you and wondered how to get in touch with you. I had no numbers or owt for you. I knew you would have wanted to pop in on your way home. I aim to return tomorrow to try and see it again.

Good luck for tomorrow. I have only ever seen one and that was at Millbrook which is on the other side of the bay from Plymouth. It makes me wonder if this bird you have seen is possible the bird I saw returning for another visit. It was reported at Millbrook virtually through December 2001 right through into Feb 2002.

Thanks for that information. I am going to search the net for this winter's sightings and see if any have disappeared in the south west then it would support my case wouldn't it. I have been asked to submit a BBRC record (MY GOD!) and I have told them I will go back tomorrow for more details hopefully. Maybe a picture or two?

Andrew,

It sounds good, and is certainly worth another look. I've had the good fortune to find two Bonaparte's gulls in Britain, and have seen many others, and there are two clinchers in addition to what you've already described which you may wish to look out for. Bonaparte's has pink not red legs - the difference is obvious when you get them side by side. Also, Bonaparte's has a more buoyant, dipping flight than Black-headed, somewhat reminiscent of Little Gull in the way it flies.

There are other Devon Birders on this forum who live not far from you, such as Dave Stone - perhaps they can help.

Darrell

Return to Shobrooke!

Here is an account of my return to Shobrooke to try and re-find the Bonaparte's . . . (grim reading) . . . .

18-02-03

I returned to Shobrooke intending to find the Bonaparte’s Gull again and looked everywhere for the two star national rarity without any success whatsoever. I kept looking at all the Black Headed Gulls as I walked up the right bank on my way to the bridge. At the bridge, the scope was set up and the hot drinks poured out for a long vigil checking each bird that arrived and searching out every square inch of the lake both sides of the bridge. There were some interesting moments as there was a Black Headed Gull very near it’s summer plumage and every time I saw it I zoomed in on it eagerly with the scope only to curse it for being there. There were four Great Crested Grebes in full breeding attire with two courting. They faced each other and turned their head sideways in opposing sequence. I tried capturing the moment with the camera but kept missing out by a few seconds. However, I did manage one decent picture of a single Grebe. The vigil was also enlivened by hundreds of Redwings flying overhead around the park and a few Fieldfares too. The Little Grebe surfaced near the island as on the previous visit and some cormorants were on boat moorings and in the trees. Several Canada Geese and Mallards took up my offer of some bread with some smaller varieties of Canada Geese included, these were part of the resident collection but they were interesting to observe. Only Black Headed Gulls came for the bread with no sign of my bird. An empty flask and the cold wind curtailed my search and I walked back under some fir trees. These trees held several Redwings and I had a great chance to take a picture of one but as usual it left as soon as all the gear was set up. I was disappointed not to get the Bonaparte’s again. I have to say, since seeing it on Sunday, I have no doubt I identified it correctly as all the features render it indisputable.

I have posted some pictures taken today in the Gallery.

Darrell,

The bird stayed on the water all the time and I could not see it's legs or flight pattern. A huge shame really.

Hard luck Andrew. I suspect that after you had reported the bird on the day you saw it other birders would have probably gone out to find it. The fact that no confirmed sightings were made possibly means that the bird had flown.

Keep your fingers crossed that it is relocated somewhere close by or even back at Shobrooke.

Where is Shobrooke anyway?

Being deaf I don't have a way of posting the bird until I get home and use Birdguides. Any suggestions such as SMS?

I posted the OS grid ref, check streetmap. It is just outside Crediton about five or six miles north of Exeter and it is brilliant. Don't expect loads of different birds though, just the common seasonal specialities. I have never been in summer but with the trees and stuff there I expect it to be good.

Can anyone else can comment on this place?

Got your map ref, I may take a look in the week as they often do hang around!!

Birdcall does have a text number you can text your sightings into, it's 07980-210755.If you want we can exchange mobile phone number's if you need a contact at any time to pass around any sightings or get a second pair of eye's!!

Stu.

Sadly this record was rejected by the BBRC but I have since seen another longstayer at Bowling Green Marsh to consolidate this sighting whiich can be read here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back