• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron imagic BGA SE 8x42 or Verano 8x42? (1 Viewer)

gordthelord

I have read some of the threads here and have decided that opticron probably provide the best value for money. (I also have one of their scopes.)

Last weekend I tried a pair of opticron roof prism bins at an "in focus" event, but foolishly could not remember the exact model name. I just know that they were about £299 from at infocus and were amazingly bright and crisp.

Looking at the verano 8x42 and the imagic BGA SE 8x42 on warehouse express I can't decide which would be best. Are the imagic SE's worth the extra £90.00?

Does anyone out there have a more informed opinion about these two?
I wonder what the models were that I tried?

I have a budget of around £350 so if there is something else out there I should try please let me know.

Looking a the In Focus website they do not appear to list the BGA SE, although they do have the BGA Classic on special offer at £299. The Verano is £279.

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/opticron.html#bins

As to other suggestions, many people seem to be enthusiastic about the Hawke Frontier ED, available at £299 from Sherwoods and other places, although I haven't tried them myself.

Last edited:
the Imagic BGA SE. Are fantastic value that deliver superb performance which superior to the Verano. The close focus is much better and if course the field of view too. In my view they are brighter, sharper and resolve more detail than the Verano

Imagics are definitely better- I have Imagic 10x42s and the ergonomics, sharpness, build quality, weight etc. are all top notch. Only minor minor niggle is that there can be a bit of CA in very demanding conditions.

However, I haven't tried newer ED bins like the Hawke mentioned above, that are also meant to be very good, and if I were you I'd take a look at them as well.

Imagics are magic!

Thanks for advice given. I now have a pair of imagic SEs. They're great. Really bright and sharp; and the weight's great too. Compared them with my mates Leica 8 x 42 trinovids and his are slightly sharper at edges but not that noticeably in the centre. Brightness very similar. However the imagics are much lighter. Hopefully I'll enjoy these till I'm old and grey(er).

Glad you like them, I have the previous model with the long name. PG.AGF. etc.etc.. Had them nearly 2 years, and think they are fantastic.

Geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back