• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Raw Download -Windows XP? (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
I have just read in the latest edition of Outdoor Photography,Sept issue,no 65,page 15,that Microsoft is offering a free download for support for RAW files in its Windows operating system.Updates in the form of RAW image Thumbnailer and Viewer are available for Windows XP.apparently this will be built into the next major Windows release,codenamed"Longhorn".
Has anyone downloaded this update ,and is it easy to install.I would love to try a RAW image ,but do not know what this will involve.Usually when I try to download a complicated update,I end up having to do a system restore.But I would like to have a try,but only if the download is simple,and is easy to use.
Thankyou.

Christine

just a quick reply for your info and any others, i did a an update of the raw convertor and it screwed up the exif info on the raw files from my nikon D70. it converted all the exif details the wrong way round and made a mess when trying to open them in photoshop.

cheers geoff

Hi Christine,

My brother-in-law installed the patch this weekend and had almost identical problems to Geoff (Canon EXIF files). Forced to carry out a re-install of OS to cure.

For safe & friendly RAW handling I recommend RAW Shooter - excellent review in a lot of photo mags and on a good thread here on BF too - have nothing but praise for this product plus it's FREE ! ! !

Thanks,corvus and Bilbo,I have made a note of the site.Glad I posted the query before downloading the one mentioned in the photo mag!!!

Ram images

Hi christineredgate,
I recently downloaded a FREE prog called PICASA from Google.
It's an extremely good prog that collates ALL the photo on your computer, has a number of useful features BUT, it can also handle RAW images.
I actually heard about this prog on BF. Works a treat - try it!

Good luck,

madmike

I have downloaded the microsoft RAW image Thumbnailer and Viewer for XP. Installed no problems and works great. RAW files now display the same as jpgs straight from the camera. Please note that all this prog does is allow you to view RAW files before they are converted.

Cheers
Roy

Last edited:
Roy

yes the microsoft raw image viewer works great, but please check the exif detail and colour space that has been given to the raw file.

as indicated in my previous post it alters the colour space from the one created in the camera, and when the raw file is opened up in photoshop it starts asking if you want to change the colour space.

if you just want a quick viewer of the raw files dpmagic is as good as any and if i remember correctly on a free trial and if you like it costs about £5.00. but when installing make sure, if you have norton installed to turn off norton utilities, again norton screws up the installation of dpmagic.

cheers geoff

Geoff, Thanks for the info but I am not sure what you mean. I open/ process my RAW files in PS CS2 and it does not ask me if I want to change the colour space! I notice that it gives a space sRGB, is this not the correct space for the 350D? (I am a novice of such things). Also the shooting data looks ok.

Regards
Roy

Thanks,Mike,again i have made a note of the site.It seems that RAW files do seem a little complicated,I thought that they were larger and clearer than the normal JPGS.

Roy

i'm not that much more than a novice myself, but i will try to explain what i mean
with the nikon raw it gives you three options settings
1 Ia(sRGB)
11 II(adobe RGB)
III IIIa(sRGB)

version 1 and 111 are used mainly for printing using exifprint.

version 11 ideally matches the colour profile adobe 1998.

in photoshop i use adobe 1998 colour profile there are others listed but that is how i have set up photoshop.

when i installed microsoft raw reader it screwed up the colour profile of the adobe 1998 profile and replaced it with one of the other profiles from the camera set.

if you check out the web site of digital outback photo there are some articles on raw conversion.

cheers geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back