• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

I had a Nightjar for the first time last night,the problem is they only start churring at dusk and then it's dark,had some good views in silhouette though and then it was pitch black and i was alone in a strange wood....absolutely worth it though.

Hi Mick,

Yes, Nightjars are definitely worth the considerable effort you need to put in for them - a really enigmatic, mysterious species - one of our best in my opinion. :t:

Red-necked Phalarope still present this morning at the Flashes.

Access is free to all Wildlife Trust members (except Norfolk NWT who dont have a reciprocal arrangement with other Trusts); otherwise a day permit is £3 per person from the on-site wardens.

Same entrance off the island as the Activity Centre, but turn left onto the overflow car park.

There should be room in the hide for get a seat mid-afternoon I would have thought, besides they are a pleasant bunch of folk in there, I am sure someone will move over once they have seen it!

Thinking about going this afternoon, where is the overflow car park? Also is the flashes the big hide?

Thanks
Mike

So glad everyone has connected with the Phalorope, you can thank me for it as I'm away, it was nailed on something would drop in whilst I'm on my hols 8-P

I did get myself a lifer yesterday in a Pied Flycatcher :t:

No Access To Flashes After 7pm This Evening

Please note that, due to urgent maintenance work, there will be no access to the flashes main hide this evening. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. The hide will be open as normal until 7pm. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Many thanks to almost all the visitors today from outside the area for their understanding of the situation. Unfortunately one or two people seem hell bent on making life difficult for us. Can anyone who is in the Norfolk trust understand that there is NO reciprocal arrangement with other trusts ...this is down to the Norfolk Trust instigation. So if you didn't like the fact that you had to pay £3 then have a word with them. :C
Anyway rant over 8-P
At the Flashes today an adult water rail came out of the reed bed in front of the oak tree where several reed and sedge warblers fed in the open.
The Phalarope was still present at 9pm as was a dunlin, 18 chicks and 8 or 9 adult Avocets, 8 adult and 2 chick LRP, and 5 Lapwing and 1 chick.
A peregrine was seen to take a jackdaw and then struggled against the wind to take it back to the masts to be devoured. The white wagtail continued to show well in front of the hide.
At the Moors A garden warbler sang by the west hide where a male House sparrow also showed behind the sluice bridge.
Yesterday a water rail with at least 2 very small (black ) chicks was seen in front of the concrete hide. Also today were lesser whitethroat, at least 200 swift and 60+ sand martin which is quite numerous for this late in the spring. The willow warbler again sang from the secret garden with a second bird was also seen.
B :)John

Last edited:
Many thanks to almost all the visitors today from outside the area for their understanding of the situation. Unfortunately one or two people seem hell bent on making life difficult for us. Can anyone who is in the Norfolk trust understand that there is NO reciprocal arrangement with other trusts ...this is down to the Norfolk Trust instigation. So if you didn't like the fact that you had to pay £3 then have a word with them. :C
. ....................
B :)John

Well said, John. It's not our fault that Norfolk Trust don't play by the same rules as everyone else - I wish they did cos I'd have saved myself £14 on my recent trip - paying once at Weeting Heath and twice at Cley. I didn't quibble though as I know it's going to a good cause and even filled out 'gift-aid' forms so they could claim the tax back. o:D

Red-necked Phalarope still on the flashes this morning - another record broken.

2 Ringed Plovers also.

And 2 Dunlin.

Last edited:
Now two Red Necked Phalaropes on flashes - another one just flew in!!!!!! Unbelievable! The second bird is less well marked - I'd say it's probably another female though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back