• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Challenge - UK (1 Viewer)

humakt

Here's one for you.
Firstly, sorry about the poor quality of the image. I realise it may make a positive ID impossible - but it was at quite a considerable zoom.
Anyway.
So, as I was walking down a lane this afternoon, this bird flew out. I immediately knew it was 'something else' - flight pattern, wing beat, shape. But I didn't know what.
My first though that it was a raptor, perhaps a sparrowhawk. But looking at the picture I doubt that now.
There had been quite a few cuckoos about as well, but I'm not so sure about that either.
But it was about that kind of size.
The habitat was open farmland/meadow near a coastal estuary.
If any of you can ID it then you will earn a worthy doffing of the cap!
Cheers.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 170
I mean, on that photo. Unless the rufous tinge on the throat is enough to say it is a female?

Andy, the beak is pointing up, the contrasting head you are talking about woudn't be the brownish / rufous throat?
]]

Still contrasting though, more than I usually see.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back