• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Vivitar 283 flash gun and 20D (1 Viewer)

eskander

I have an old Vivitar 283 flash - at least 25 years old - which is in perfect order and served me well on my old Canon AE-1 film camera. I would like to use it on my new 20D but I've heard that the flash "trigger voltage" on this old gun may be too high for the modern digital electronic in the 20D. Vivitar say that my model has a trigger voltage of "150+ Volts" Can anyone give me some guidance? I'm guessing that I may be able to use it via the PC terminal but not the hot shoe.

The 20D manual says:

"do not connect to the camera's PC terminal any flash unit requiring 250 V or more."

"Do not attach a high-voltage flash unit on the camera's hot shoe."

Am I right in assuming that it is therefore safe to use my Vivitar 283 if it is not mounted on the hot shoe and is connected to the PC terminal?

I had this problem with the 273 flash which was used with my Minolta XE1.
I wanted to try it with my D70 so first I measured the flash firing voltage which was about 230v across centre to side pin.
You can buy hot shoe adaptors which reduce the voltage to suit the dslr.
Not sure about your camera try SpeedGraphic or do a search.

Good luck,
Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back