• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cleaning the rubber coating of a ultravid HD (1 Viewer)

pimpelmees

hello, what is the best way to clean the rubber coating of a ultravid HD bino, after 3 years of use i think that on the rubber surface are fingerprints and ...,

If the rubber starts looking dry I use Armor All on mine. Keeps them looking like new, and provides UV protection (at least thats what the lable says). Leica recommends it.

Of course I don't apply it to the glass!

If the rubber starts looking dry I use Armor All on mine. Keeps them looking like new, and provides UV protection (at least thats what the lable says). Leica recommends it.

Of course I don't apply it to the glass!

Been using Armor-All for years on various armored bins including my Ultraviod's. Good stuff.

Water and a bit a soap can do wonders to clean the armor. Once clean, here's another vote for applying ArmorAll from a long-time user. When I got my 8x42 Ultravids back from Leica service, it was apparent that they use it, or something equivalent, themselves.

--AP

Last edited:
Water and a bit a soap can do wonders to clean the armor. Once clean, here's another vote for applying ArmorAll from a long-time user. When I got my 8x42 Ultravids back from Leica service, it was apparent that they use it, or something equivalent, themselves.

--AP

i look at armor all , but there are many products from armor all , can you tell me what product you are using !

This issue comes up every year or so. ArmorAll is a safe product.

Ed

Attachments

• armoralllowshineprotectantmsds704-1.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
The stuff I am using on plastics and rubber items is

http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=8

Wipe it on with a clean cotton cloth and wiipe it off. Does not appear to come off on my hands stc. It does not smell and appears to be safe to me and the hazmat sheet posted above indicates safety (thanks for posting that).

Works great on all sorts of plastic and rubber products. I use it on car tires and interior including the dash board and rubber seals on the doors. They look brand new after many years of exposure to the elements. My bins tend to get a dry whiteish look after a while if I do not use the Armorall. I do avoid as many chemiclas as possible but this is one I use.

i contacted leica and they only use water and alcohol for cleaning.

Was that for the glass or the rubber skin? Sounds more like a glass cleaner concoction to remove fingerprints from the glass. I would double check that advice.

If you do use alcohol rather than ArmorAll on the rubber skin and your hands turn black from the rubber melting or the rubber skin peels off like an over ripe banana skin on a hot afternoon. Please do let us know so we may refer to your post as a warning for future generations…

-

Last edited:
Was that for the glass or the rubber skin? Sounds more like a glass cleaner concoction to remove fingerprints from the glass. I would double check that advice.

If you do use alcohol rather than ArmorAll on the rubber skin and your hands turn black from the rubber melting or the rubber skin peels off like an over ripe banana skin on a hot afternoon. Please do let us know so we may refer to your post as a warning for future generations…

-

They use the alcohol for the lenses and only water for the rubber body.

My bins tend to get a dry whiteish look after a while if I do not use the Armorall. I do avoid as many chemiclas as possible but this is one I use.

maybe the whiteish look after a while is a result of the use of armor all so no chemicals for me , i will be using water with a litlle bit of soap i think.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back