• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great White Egret? (1 Viewer)

Susan C

Hi there - I am a novice birder and am really starting to take more notice of the different species around my home. Today on my way in to work, as usual, I passed by a small wetland and spotted a pure white heron. Could it be a great white egret? I've seen Great Blue Herons, but never a large white wading bird in this area. Is this a normal siting for Southern Ontario, Canada?
Thanks for any ideas.

Hi Susan,

I believe what you saw was a Great Egret. Your area would be getting close to the northern extent of their range, however. Keep watching for those "new birds".

Good Birding,

Larry

P.S. The Great Blue Heron would be expected in your area. The "white morph" of the Great Blue Heron called the Great White Heron would not be in Canada as it is found only in Florida I believe.

Last edited:
Hi Susan. I would think Great Egret as well. Our Gallery is filled with numerous photos of both so why not try and do a search of Egrets in our Gallery and see if you can find any that match up.

Guess I'd better point out that Great Egret and Great White Egret are just two different names for the same bird - 'Great Egret' being used for it in America, and 'Great White Egret' in Europe & Asia.

Also that this species has been given (very confusingly!!) three different Latin names (depending on ideas about what its relatives are):
Egretta alba
Ardea alba
Casmerodius albus

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back