• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Artes binoculars (1 Viewer)

Hi Roadbike,

what do you think of the Vixen porros? I am interested in the 8x32 and 8x42 Forestas but can't find much in the way of reviews.
Do you know these bins? What sort of view do they have, what would you say they are comparable with?

Apologies for going off topic here.

Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin. My experience has been with the original Vixen Ultima binoculars. I believe some of those models continue under the current Vixen Geoma line. Of the 4 current Geoma models I would recommend the 8x32 for general purpose birding. I've also used it for viewing the night sky. It is light, very compact and delivers bright well focused images. If it is possible for you to purchase both the Foresta and Geoma and return the unwanted one you might try a comparative test. There is a notable difference in the FOV.

Foresta 8x 32 ZWCF 6.4 Degrees
Geoma 8x32 ZWCF 8.3 Degrees

Regards, John

Last edited:
There is a notable difference in the FOV.

Foresta 8x 32 ZWCF 6.4 Degrees
Geoma 8x32 ZWCF 8.3 Degrees

Hi John,

I noticed the Forestas some time ago but was put off by the narrow fov of the 8x32s but they caught my eye again recently because some european stockists have what they are calling the "Foresta ZWCF 8x32 wide" with, apparently, a 7.5* fov like the 8x42.

I liek the fact that they have 20mm e/r. I wear glasses so I think the 15mm e/r of the Geomas wont be enough for me.

Maybe I should try the Foresta ZWCF 8x32 wide and 8x42 and keep one of them if I like them. There's only 80 grams of weight difference between them. 710g and 790g respectively. 710g sounds quite heavy for an 8x32.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Best wishes
Martin

Hi John,

I noticed the Forestas some time ago but was put off by the narrow fov of the 8x32s but they caught my eye again recently because some european stockists have what they are calling the "Foresta ZWCF 8x32 wide" with, apparently, a 7.5* fov like the 8x42.

I liek the fact that they have 20mm e/r. I wear glasses so I think the 15mm e/r of the Geomas wont be enough for me.

Maybe I should try the Foresta ZWCF 8x32 wide and 8x42 and keep one of them if I like them. There's only 80 grams of weight difference between them. 710g and 790g respectively. 710g sounds quite heavy for an 8x32.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Best wishes
Martin

Here's yet another Foresta DCF model with an 8 degree FOV I found on: http://www.vixenoptics.com/binoculars/HRforesta.html

14511 Foresta 8x32 DCF BaK4 8.0° 140m 4mm 49.0 3.0m 19.75 oz

Pricing is a bit above the Genoma but still seems reasonable.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back