• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
I have a couple of which I am uncertain. The first two photos were taken 6 days ago and the last two today. Sorry for the poor quality of the last two from today, but they were staying hidden and were frightened off by pedestrian traffic. I first thought were young Light-vented Bulbul but the wing bar seems wrong.

Attachments

• NT4A5705.jpg
    NT4A5705.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 60
  • NT4A5695.jpg
    NT4A5695.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 46
  • NT4A5939.jpg
    NT4A5939.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 39
  • NT4A5950.jpg
    NT4A5950.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 37
Light-vented doesn't surprise me apparently an individual showing an odd marking. I've been seeing large flocks of such in this same location lately.

Ashy Bulbul would be something else though. Far north of normal range. Hmmm.

Light-vented doesn't surprise me apparently an individual showing an odd marking. I've been seeing large flocks of such in this same location lately.

Ashy Bulbul would be something else though. Far north of normal range. Hmmm.

Ooop, did not check location. I guess there is no risk of introduced populations? A bit hard to find alternatives. Light-vented maybe??

Juvenile Light-vented Bulbul was suggested by other source so I will go with that. They do look remarkably like Ashy Bulbul.

Thanks for the opinions.

Juvenile Light-vented Bulbul was suggested by other source so I will go with that. They do look remarkably like Ashy Bulbul.

Thanks for the opinions.

They do Owen. The angle of view is not helpful and the spot at rear of the ear coverts is not really visible. However, the bill structure is quite different. Ashy has a much slimmer, more pointed bill; it's in a different genus.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back