• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader, Kent, UK (1 Viewer)

Ixer

This wader was poking around on the river shore at the Oare Marshes nature reserve yesterday (28/07/16). I assumed to start with that it was another redshank to go with the hundreds that were already there but another chap became increasingly convinced that it was a marsh sandpiper. I must concede that it does seem to have a slightly different structure to the other redshanks but would like some further opinions as I've never seen a marsh sandpiper before. Apologies for the YouTube link; I couldn't upload to here straight from my phone. Apologies also for the substandard quality; phonescoping against the light wasn't going to produce anything amazing.

https://youtu.be/PUAcmaD_f4g

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Mike

Without better views, I'd be inclined to call it an as-yet not-full-grown Redshank.

Yes, on a harder look I'm convinced you are correct. Structure and action is not good for any species I mentioned reallly and spot on for Common Redshank - I think the bird is slimmer because its in "walking mode" while the others are resting.

Dear Mike, I only just noticed your avatar; that is a beautiful Snowy Owl but I can't look at it without a suitable landscape around it - I find it very painful indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back