• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrikes Pakistan (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Been handed these Shrike photos form Pakistan to identify but want some more knowledgeable opinions. All photos taken over the last 3 weeks unless specified. Once again - thanks in advance!

Photo 1 - Southern Grey Shrike - adult? ..which subspecies? Taken in Karachi

Photo 2 - Isabelline/Turkestan - 1 st winter? Taken in Quetta in August

Photo 3 - isabelline - taken in Karachi.

Photo 4 - has quite a brown head and mask - could it be Red-Backed Shrike?

Attachments

• shrike1.jpg
    shrike1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 99
  • shrike2.jpg
    shrike2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 102
  • shrike3.jpg
    shrike3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 106
  • shrike5.jpg
    shrike5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 101
Turkestan Shrike? - based on greyish upper parts, white supercilium, the dark in the red tail.........looks one awesome specimen whatever it belongs too...taken in August in Quetta...could be a breeder.

Second one taken in July in Punjab...baffles me.....quite early for a migrant...probably Isabelline?

Attachments

• shrike6.jpg
    shrike6.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 116
  • shrike7.jpg
    shrike7.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 88
Grahame can sort them out ;-)) I will keep my powder dry...

Is there ever a straight forward 1-w isabelline shrike? What these illustrate nicely (again) is that photographic artefacts have a big impact on the impression of a bird - here notable are pics 4 and 6. I have lightened them to illustrate this.

B

Attachments

• shrike5-1.jpg
    shrike5-1.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 66
  • shrike7-1.jpg
    shrike7-1.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Grahame - is Steppe Grey Shrike a separate species now

Tconzemi - I really wish that I had taken the first photo on post 2.

Brian - the lady bird in photo 2 was taken in July which must have been quite an early migrant.

I was also looking forward to reading Grahame's take on these! They seem to be four exceptionally difficult individuals. In some cases I'm unsure of the actual colour tones. If you can get hold of any additional shots, perhaps from different angles, it might make the task easier. As it stands I haven't been able to come to a definitive conclusion for any of them. I've been referring to Tim Worfolk's terrific article (attached) but it does date back to 2000 and I worry whether it might not be a little out-of-date.

Just a few observations:

2. Surely too pale on the throat and underparts, and dark grey-brown (I think) on the upperparts, to be isabellinus. But if it's phoenicuroides, it's a very poorly-marked bird, with almost no mask visible, very faint barring on the underparts and, even stranger, uniform wings with no black in the flight feathers. It reminds me of the poorly-marked unidentified individual in image 22 on this page:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-QLNcm/i-mmDFKQD

3. Very puzzling, partly because I'm not sure what the actual plumage tones should be. It looks at first glance like phoenicuroides, with quite a well-marked head - the eyestripe is quite bold, the underpart barring is quite bold and blackish-looking, and the underparts look creamy-white. However, the base colour of the upperparts is quite sandy-brown, not as dark as a typical phoenicuroides, meaning there isn't enough of a contrast between upper- and underparts, the supercilum is weak and there are buff tones on the lore and cheek. Also, if this is phoenicuroides, why isn't this bird one too?

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/isabel...ellinus/immature-1st-winter-isabelline-shrike

5. Very deep rufous-brown on the crown and the eyestripe too looks quite warm brown. The barring on the underparts looks quite crescentic. But the nape doesn't appear to be grey, as it's supposed to be for Red-backed 1st-winter. I would really want to see a view of the upperparts to see how well-barred they are.

7. Another well-marked bird which looks like phoenicuroides at first glance - there's a broad super and the eyestripe is quite thick. However, I think there's too much buff around the face and side of the breast, the eyestripe looks too brown, as does the underpart barring, and the upperparts are strangely pale. What's with the frosty median coverts? This bird looks a little like fig. 339 on p.27 of the article.

I would welcome a second opinion for any of these birds.

Attachments

• DB_2000_22_6.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Grahame can sort them out ;-)) I will keep my powder dry...

Is there ever a straight forward 1-w isabelline shrike? What these illustrate nicely (again) is that photographic artefacts have a big impact on the impression of a bird - here notable are pics 4 and 6. I have lightened them to illustrate this.

B

Firstly, apologies for the late posting but I have still been mulling over the images. Wise words from Brian as these things are never easy in 1st-winter plumages, not least from single images of variable quality.

Page 1/2. I can't really add much to Andy's comments. In addition, the fore crown is quite distinctly barred and the white super extends over the bill which also point towards Turkestan. I have tried to adjust the images but without success but in any case we are dealing with a very restricted view of the bird which doesn't help. IMO it has to be a poorly marked phoenicuroides which is supported by the early date; Isabelline is a later migrant.

Page 1/3. The best image of the bunch but in many ways the most puzzling, Andy has summed it up pretty well. First impression is that its a poorly marked phoenicuroides but there are obvious anomalies, not least the warm sandy-brown tones to the upper parts (including rectrices?) and the colour/extent of the super. So, based on a single image I would leave this individual as unassigned.

Page 1/4. Nothing really to add. I but would need to see more/better images.

Page 2/2. Another puzzling bird. Taken in July it must be an adult; you can just make out the adult-type median coverts. Andy, the frosty coverts you refer too are actually the greater coverts. Without more images I would leave it unassigned though the early date might favour Turkestan.

Grahame

Last edited:
Andy, the frosty coverts you refer too are actually the greater coverts.

Oops. I must admit I'm still learning about bird anatomy. Thanks for the correction.

Good idea also to look at dates for these sightings, Turkestan being the resident species, I suppose. I was assuming the last bird was an immature without paying attention to the date.

Last edited:
Andy, the frosty coverts you refer too are actually the greater coverts.

Oops. I must admit I'm still learning about bird anatomy. Thanks for the correction.

Good idea also to look at dates for these sightings, Turkestan being the resident species, I suppose. I was assuming the last bird was an immature without paying attention to the date.

Turkestan does breed in Pakistan; HBW gives the range as N & probably west of Indus. In addition, studies by Oscar Peterson in UAE (Brit.Birds) show a difference in migration timings which are supported by different breeding (and moult) timings; Turkestan averages c1month earlier than Daurian.

Grahame.

Turkestan does breed in Pakistan; HBW gives the range as N & probably west of Indus. In addition, studies by Oscar Peterson in UAE (Brit.Birds) show a difference in migration timings which are supported by different breeding (and moult) timings; Turkestan averages c1month earlier than Daurian.

Grahame.

Did you mean Oscar Campbell? ;)

Yes, very true - the first Daurians will be some time this month, some wintering, whereas Turkestan passage starts in September.

Thanks all for the information. The adult male Turkestan Shrike was photographed near Quetta so it could be breeding in that area. All others were photographed in Punjab or near Karachi so on wintering grounds.

Just added some photos of what appears to be a Grasshopper Warbler - cannot be confused with anything else? Taken in mid-August in Azad Kashmir area of Pakistan. Mid-August is quite early.

Attachments

• gropper1.jpg
    gropper1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 55
  • gropper2.jpg
    gropper2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 59
  • gropper3.jpg
    gropper3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 53
Another Shrike here - taken on 4th of October at Borit lake, Gojal. Was thinking Red-Backed Shrike but no grey cap and wing primary length short....

Attachments

• rbshrike.jpg
    rbshrike.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 48
Hi Grahame

It looked a lot shorter than the Collins guide suggested but when I looked again it looks perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back