• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand, Khao Sok (1 Viewer)

Stmall

Novice in jungle situation. First I think may be a dusky warbler. Second bird not sure. All help appreciated.

Both within a mile of habitation but in jungle under 250m elevation, taken last week.

Thanks in anticipation

Attachments

• IMG_1938b.jpg
    IMG_1938b.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2025b.jpg
    IMG_2025b.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 73
David, are you basing your ID of ECW on the apparent yellow vent? I'm not sure it's not just backlighting. I was wondering if we could safely rule out Two-barred here.

David, are you basing your ID of ECW on the apparent yellow vent? I'm not sure it's not just backlighting. I was wondering if we could safely rule out Two-barred here.

I suspect, as you rightly suggest, that the backlighting is perhaps enhancing the yellowish colour tone of the underparts. Not the easiest of angles but the yellow pectoral shafts and pale legs seen to support ECW. Any other photos, showing the upperparts? Even if they aren't great it will certainly make things a lot easier.

Hi guys

Thanks for the id. I attach the rest of the burst of the warbler in case it helps. one to follow. Unfortunately no real change of angle. Not sure if its backlighting.

I was brain dead on the flowerpecker. My notes at the time said 'female flowerpecker spp photo to id'.

Still ploughing through the >2000 photos so more help may be needed!

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_1939a.JPG
    IMG_1939a.JPG
    773.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1940a.JPG
    IMG_1940a.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1941a.JPG
    IMG_1941a.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1942a.JPG
    IMG_1942a.JPG
    790.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1943a.JPG
    IMG_1943a.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 21
I think the new images confirm Eastern Crowned Warbler. The undertail coverts are definitely yellow and the bill (long, heavy, unmarked orange-yellow lower mandible) looks right too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back