• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need confirmation on owl species (USA) (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
We found this owl roosting in the top of an old barn on the afternoon of Sat. 28th Nov whilst visiting the Cedar Hill State Park near Dallas, Texas. Because of the position of the owl on the beams and the cobwebs, and also the fact that there was only a small opening in the end of the barn, we could only get a partial photo. The diagonal beams were probably 6-8 inches wide.

It is definitely not a Barn Owl, and from it's colouring we think most probably a Short-eared Owl. Thanks for any confirmation on this id.

Attachments

• owl3a.jpg
    owl3a.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 286
  • owl2b.jpg
    owl2b.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Hi, Helen. As a UK birder the first thought that entered my head was "Scops Owl". For you that would mean that it's one of the "Otus" owls: i.e. Flammulated Owl or one of the Screech Owls, but my knowledge doesn't go further than that.

Jason

Dallas area, it'll be Eastern Screech Owl - out of range for the other Otus spp. Confirmed by its red-brown colour, Western tends to be much greyer.

Michael

Yep, a Screech to my eyes, too.

Another thing is that Short-Eared Owls do their roosting on the ground, in grass. Plus they are much more 'beige' than a red screech, with very distinctive faces -- very obvious facial discs. Really marvelous faces!

Thanks, everyone.
I had thought it was too big for a Screech, but the view up through the gap in the gable end of the barn didn't make it easy to see. I'm just glad the faithful Oly captured some decent shots. The flash really carried well into the gloom - much better in fact than the shots I tried with my Nikon CP 4500. It only has 4x zoom, so that 10x plus the flash, makes all the difference.

Here's a Nikon shot after some optimizing in ACDSee:

Attachments

• owlnikon.jpg
    owlnikon.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 216
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back