• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenyan bird (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
This old picture from Kenya had stumped me, and I was just about to post it and ask for help when I think I cracked it. But then thought I'd post it anyway and see what you guys think.

Pic was taken in Tsavo, early October.

Andrew

Attachments

• BWB.jpg
    BWB.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 210
Andrew S said:
This old picture from Kenya had stumped me, and I was just about to post it and ask for help when I think I cracked it. But then thought I'd post it anyway and see what you guys think.

From my day's in Kenya; possibly Northern White-crowned Shrike.

John Barclay

john barclay said:
Andrew S said:

From my day's in Kenya; possibly Northern White-crowned Shrike.

John Barclay

Definitely a Northern White-crowned Shrike. One of the diagnostic features we use comes from Star Trek ..... we refer to them as "Ferengi" because of the dark patterning on the head. If you take a quick look at the photos on our website you'll see that the second photo "Northern White-crowned Shrike Nesting" looks very similar to yours ..... our photo isn't a particularly good one of the bird but we keep it on the site to show the nest. It's at:

http://www.kenyabirds.org.uk/ferengi.htm

.... see what I mean about referring to them as "Ferengi" .... ;)

I think it was that funny patterning that threw me - with its head twisted it looked like a black throat with the top half of the head turned to the side.

Didn't have a very good guidebook when I went to Kenya - making a few armchair ticks at the moment - this was yesterday's, which I'm now claiming as Pangani Longclaw rather than Yellow-throated Longclaw...

Attachments

• Pangani Longclaw.jpg
    Pangani Longclaw.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 193
Andrew S said:
Didn't have a very good guidebook when I went to Kenya - making a few armchair ticks at the moment - this was yesterday's, which I'm now claiming as Pangani Longclaw rather than Yellow-throated Longclaw...
Yep - that's Pagani - the orange throat gives it away!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back