• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull i.d. please (1 Viewer)

helenol

This was taken Nov '98 at Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, CA. (The day before the wharf was destroyed by fire).

i.d. please. Is it a herring gull?

Attachments

• IDGull.jpg
    IDGull.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 254
I think its most likely a Western gull. It looks quite dark mantled and has that heavy almost GBBG gull look to its head. Hopefully someone from the US can help.

I'd say Western x Glaucous-winged hybrid/intergrade (a very common hybrid) - the mantle is a bit too pale for pure Western (tho' still darker than Herring). The dark eye also points to Western/Galucous-winged. Perhaps slightly closer to Western than G-W, maybe 70:30 or something like that. Compare p.204 in Sibley.

Michael

I reckon the darkness of the mantle/upperparts is a bit hard to assess on this photo, as the light appears to be shining onto it and giving it a relatively pale appearance. The 'true' colour remains elusive. That said, it could easily be a bit of a hybrid.

Western gull. None of the bird's color in this photo is dependable -- too washed out. And Helen, you'll be happy to know the wharf was completely rebuilt by 2001. Did you go whale watching while in SB? In November, you would've seen gray whales and all kinds of dolphins.

OMG, a broad-tailed hummer just flew by the window! First hummer of the season and I don't have the feeders hung out yet! He's too early!! :) Gotta go start some nectar........

Last edited:
Thanks folks.

Katy, Glad to hear the wharf was rebuilt, I was stood there watching it smoulder the day after the fire.

We did our whalewatching off the island of Maui. And yes, we did see them.

Regards

Karwin said:
I have not seen occidentalis in the field, but this Larus' back is grey, not black...

Western is medium-to-dark gray-backed, not black, and the farther north you go, the lighter the back for some reason. Not that Santa Barbara is all that far north of LA, but by Monterey the westerns are noticeably lighter; by Seattle they almost look like another sp altogether.

Apparently this picture was taken with a wide-angled camera and probably with flash-light which could explain the light back of this bird, additionally the sun is coming from the left. Light rules!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back