• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warbler? or Chiffchaff? (1 Viewer)

tarves57

Not sure what this might be. There seem to be so many similar warbler type birds. The photo was taken in a gorse filled area on the side of a hill, woody, not far from a stream.

Thanks
Susan

Attachments

• wrbl.jpg
    wrbl.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 329
I find that looking at the photos of Chiffchaff type warblers in a pose like yours can be difficult to pin down. My impression is that this is a Chiffchaff.

If my memory serves me right I think that Willow Warblers have a slightly flatter crown and the Wood Warblers primary projection would be longer than shown in this image, plus the habitat doesn't sound right for a Wood Warbler.

No doubt I will be corrected by someone with far mor Warbler expertise than me.

I think it's probably a Chiffchaff too - the toes are quite dark and the face relatively dull looking (not much of a supercillium). Willow Warblers are usually brighter than this with more yellow and a sharper looking face pattern and paler legs. Wood Warblers are super bright - absolutely stunning birds. They probably haven't started arriving in Scotland yet (maybe another two weeks) and are rather more localised than the other two species. Worth looking out for though!

This certainly looks like a Chiffchaff. The original question asked about Wood Warbler, which this is most certainly not. Wood Warbler is a much more localised species than either Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler, and in many areas is restricted to oak woodland; it is rarely found on spring passage unless singing, sometimes in untypical habitat, and in autumn is regularly falsely claimed by people who overlook the yellow-breasted juveniles of Willow Warbler. Or am I being too sceptical yet again?

Steve

It's just that this bird was a lot more yellow than the chiffchaff I saw recently (admittedly my first!), and in a different area. I think I had another two photos, but will have to post it when I get home.

Susan

Agreed with Chiffchaff

Fifebirder said:
Wood Warblers are super bright - absolutely stunning birds. They probably haven't started arriving in Scotland yet (maybe another two weeks) and are rather more localised than the other two species. Worth looking out for though!
Hi Andrew,
You should be getting your first Wood Warblers within a week at the most. Last year I got my first on 22 April, and that can't be more than a day's flight (probably less) south of you. Passage birds often sing here (and even hold territory for a few days while waiting for better weather to move on), something I gather they don't do much in southern England.

Michael

tarves57 said:
Not sure what this might be. There seem to be so many similar warbler type birds. The photo was taken in a gorse filled area on the side of a hill, woody, not far from a stream.

Thanks
Susan
The "V" tail + colouring / size says chiff-chaff or willow warbler to me.

We want more on these phylloscs, somebody out there must have a semi-decent shot of a more southerly warbler? Or more northerly. Or easterly.....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back