• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandplover in Denmark (1 Viewer)

Hi Harry,

Had a look at these yesterday, my thoughts were Greater, based on its large size and Stone-curlew -like stance. But I've only seen one of each Greater & Lesser, so I don't have a lot of experience of them (!!) and could very easily be wrong

Michael

Hi Michael,
I had considered it to be an adult 'altifrons-group' Lesser,purely based on the fact that the bill appears quite 'stubby',but I concede that it could be a columbinus Greater,which has the shortest bill of any subspecies of Greater(and thus is the hardest one to identify).Not having seen any sandplovers,this is one of those ID problems that stumps me time after time,no matter how often I read the literature!Would imagine that experience would help greatly.
Harry

tom mckinney said:
I thought that this bird was a confirmed Lesser...?

Without being completely sure, I think you are right; it has been confirmed. In any case, I know there are hordes of birders looking for it at this very moment - I just don't bother as I have seen these species elsewhere, and don't care too much about my Danish list :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back