• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock pippet? (1 Viewer)

Snowdune

In the fading light, I managed to get a snap of this flighty fellow. I was above the treeline at an altitude of around 2000m at Col de la Creueta in the Cadi Moixero Natural Park in the Spanish Pyrennees.

From a vague description in my Catalan bird book this could be a Rock Pippet (Anthus spinoletta) but I am guessing and I am still learning Catalan! :)

Anybody able to confirm or correct this id?

PS: Apologies for the poor photo, but this is a crop of a much larger photo and I was struggling with the light level as a storm was coming in. :eek!:

Attachments

• unknown1.jpg
    unknown1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 303
I've gone back to my photos from the day and found one with his head sideon. I've also applied a little Photoshop auto-levelling to bring up the light levels... hope this helps..

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 228
As Harry says, your bird's a Northern Wheatear.

As far as the pipts are concerned, Water Pipit used to be regarded merely as subspecies of Rock Pipit, Anthus spinoletta, but some years ago (in Britain at any rate) it was given full species status (and so was the American form known as American Pipit or Buff-bellied Pipit). I think that explains the discrepancy between Harry's link and your field guide. You show a picture of what we call Water Pipit, whereas Harry's picture was of a 'real' Rock Pipit.

I don't know how these are treated in Spain, but the British usage is now:

Rock Pipit Anthus petrosus
Water Pipit Anthus spinoletta
Buff-belied Pipit Anthus rubescens

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back