• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some kind of sparrow? (1 Viewer)

ariddle

Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm not the best at identifying sparrows (if it's a sparrow). Saw several of them and took this picture about three weeks ago in Norman, OK.

Thanks,
Alicia

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 569
It's a beautiful bird and my first guess would be a Baird's Sparrow but don't take my word on it. Maybe Gecsos will take a look. He'll know in a flash..

Last edited:
I'm not too good on US birds, but looking in Sibley, it looks like it may even be a Wood Warbler. There seem to be loads of variations in markings so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to which one.

From looking in my ancient copy of 'Peterson' (Eastern Birds) I feel it could well be a Sharp-tailed Sparrow.

Tony

Last edited:
I have found that the Savannah Sparrow can be one of the most confusing species emberizine sparrows out there, due to its geographical variation.

I have seen this happen many times before, an observer sees a drab "typical" Savannah Sparrow, and that image sticks in their brain. The next day they see a sparrow like Alicia's sparrow with an extreme amount of yellow on the superloral extending into the supercilium and malar, and they believe it to be a seperate species.

I have seen no field guide show a Savannah Sparrow with as much yellow as Alicia's bird. This is unfortunate, because it happens a lot.

Well anyway, your bird is a Savannah Sparrow.

~GECSOS

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back