• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding apps? (1 Viewer)

JudiGirl

Hi,

I'm new to birding and also really into tech. Are there any good apps out there that will help me with birding and which ones are best? Are they worth paying for?

JudiGirl

Have a look in the computers and software section below, Judi. There's plenty of information there. Personally, I use ibird apps and the Collins app on my iPhone . If you have an Android phone there are suitable apps as well.

Scythebill is a good and free way to keep and maintain lists of birds you have seen - you can choose IOC or Clements taxonomy. It has worldwide coverage, but when you are inputting data it will only show for example regularly occurring species in Sweden, which makes things easier. You can either input timed counts or casual records.
Scythebill also allows export of lists to eBird, which is a free Cornell University app and program. This is designed to input timed counts, and you can look at data across the world for sites and species. It uses Clements taxonomy only, which reacts slower to advances in taxonomy, recognising fewer species.
I don't have any experience of bird identification apps, so I'd also refer you to the software thread for more info....I still use books!
For learning bird calls, the xeno-canto website is the main source, with a worldwide community contributing recordings. You can download them as mp3 files.
Oh and welcome to BirdForum!

Fo bird identification I also use the Collins app on my iPhone. For recording sightings, other than the ones mentioned in previous posts, you might also want to take a look at Bird Journal. The basic version is free and the app synchronizes records with your other devices, ipad, mac or PC. Have fun birding!

EyeLoveBirds - iPhone App

OK well I have to admit I'm pretty biased, but I hope you try out EyeLoveBirds.We designed this app for people like you. Ie new to birding and tech connected, so I'm interested in your feedback. The app contains lists for various locations in Canada and the United States, as well as Belize and Madagascar. Where are you located?

Check it out!
The app - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyelovebirds/id956417417
The website - http://www.eyelovebirds.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back