• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Duck (1 Viewer)

Kalitechnis

Hello Birdlovers,

Bird seen in UK >

Last glorious Thursday (what a sunny treat after the last month!) I visited the Cleveland Lakes Nature Reserve (Cotswlolds Water Park) where I took photos of the ducks (attached).
At first they reminded me of some kind of Pochard (not that I'm up on ducks), but subsequent research has come up with nothing.

It's small size can be seen on the image of the Swan (the same male duck is behind the swan).

It'll probably turn out to be some common duck that I should have recognised, but then I cannot find it in my UK/Europe book of birds nor on the internet.

Any help in identifying the duck would be greatly appreciated.

Kalitechnis

Attachments

• Unidentified_Ducks_x3.jpg
    Unidentified_Ducks_x3.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Swan_Duck.jpg
    Swan_Duck.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Yep, Red-crested Pochard; a male in eclipse plumage (red bill) and two females (dark bill).

Cotswold Water Park has the largest colony of these in Britain; derived from zoo escapes originally, but self-sustaining now (so 'tickable').

That's exactly what I thought it resembled, but seemed so different from my pics..no black chest and pale throat..
However thanks to you Nutcracker (you cracked this nut!) I have now another new fact to my arsenal of duck identification..eclipse plumage! Isn't nature fascinating?!

Thanks to all of you...

Kalitechnis

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back