• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP ID this strange Duck! (1 Viewer)

Fox Lake

Foxdale
I am new to this Forum. I have spent some time reading the threads. I see I am not alone in needing help to ID a strange duck. I have lived on this lake in IN, USA for over 20 years and have never seen a duck close to this one here before. It suddenly appeared a few days ago following 3 of the pekin ducks that spend most of their time on this end of the lake. He/?she is mainly black with a white breast that has a few speckles of black. His bill and legs are grey and he has a black crest on the top of his head. The crest sways freely back and forth as he moves his head. He is smaller than the pekins but has similar Dabbling behaviors. I have considered that he is probably a hybrid of some sort. My sister insists that she has seen pictures of this kind of duck somewhere before. He is not shown in my, "Audubon Field Guide to North American Birds - Eastern Region". I have spent many hours looking through files of wild and domestic waterfowl but I have not found a match. I wish I had a better picture but this is as close as I have been able to get so far. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying this duck. THANK YOU.

Attachments

• Daffy.JPG
    Daffy.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 234
Hi,

This is just a form of domestic Mallard. I have had one on my patch here in the UK for a couple of years.

regards
Mark

Fox Lake said:
I am new to this Forum. I have spent some time reading the threads. I see I am not alone in needing help to ID a strange duck. I have lived on this lake in IN, USA for over 20 years and have never seen a duck close to this one here before. It suddenly appeared a few days ago following 3 of the pekin ducks that spend most of their time on this end of the lake. He/?she is mainly black with a white breast that has a few speckles of black. His bill and legs are grey and he has a black crest on the top of his head. The crest sways freely back and forth as he moves his head. He is smaller than the pekins but has similar Dabbling behaviors. I have considered that he is probably a hybrid of some sort. My sister insists that she has seen pictures of this kind of duck somewhere before. He is not shown in my, "Audubon Field Guide to North American Birds - Eastern Region". I have spent many hours looking through files of wild and domestic waterfowl but I have not found a match. I wish I had a better picture but this is as close as I have been able to get so far. I would greatly appreciate any help in identifying this duck. THANK YOU.
Hi Fox Lake the duck at the rear is a Khaki Campbell the one in front is a White Campbell these are domestic ducks which is really funny if you look at the thread HELP ID WANTED by Steve the ID to his duck is a cross between your two ducks.

Regards Snapper.

Last edited:
That's a weird looking specimen, Foxie.
Aren't wildfowl just the most amazing looking creatures? I find their seemingly endless variations nothing less than fascinating.

CJW said:
That's a weird looking specimen, Foxie.
Aren't wildfowl just the most amazing looking creatures? I find their seemingly endless variations nothing less than fascinating.

Shame on youuuuuuuuuuuu!

Stewart

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back