• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An old chestnut from 2005......? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Previously ran this thread a few years back now, decided to re-activate today, after trawling the web and at last finding what I think is a comparable image (head pattern, pale tips to coverts, and edges of tertials)? First three poor images are of the original bird at Canary Wharf, London, however today, I was struck by the likeness of this fourth image (also not brilliant). The fifth image is a regular Song Thrush T.philomelos....comments appreciated.

Attachments

• JP.Natalia front-on.jpg
    JP.Natalia front-on.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 160
  • JP Natalia L2R Grab.jpeg
    JP Natalia L2R Grab.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 198
  • JP Natalia looking Song Thrush.jpeg
    JP Natalia looking Song Thrush.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P1610493.jpeg  Old China 1..jpeg
    P1610493.jpeg Old China 1..jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 211
  • P1190471.jpeg Song Thrush shot..jpeg
    P1190471.jpeg Song Thrush shot..jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 152
Looks like a Mistle Thrush. We don't get them here that often and it's been a while since I've seen one though.

Looks like a Mistle Thrush. We don't get them here that often and it's been a while since I've seen one though.

Yes nbalblas...it does show a passing resemblance to Mistle Thrush, however I can assure you that it was a Song Thrush. Smaller than the latter and eventually scuttling away into the hedge when disturbed, unlike Mistle Thrush exit which is up and away when disturbed.

Cheers

It's a surprise that on such high quality images as these, Ken that you feel the need to resurrect the thread.

A Song Thrush (not Chinese Thrush) with all pale areas burnt out and made brighter by poor exposure and out of focus.

B

Certainly a strange one Ken, I bet that got your heart pounding at the time ? so what is the fourth image ?

Sorry just seen post 5

Last edited:
Yes it is certainly a different looking bird from the norm, I wonder if nbalblas might have something when he Mentions hybrid, I,ve not checked up but are there other races of song thrush ? and if so could this be one. I said earlier it was a different looking bird which it is but also a Interesting looking bird, it was good to be able to take mistle Thrush out of the equation on size.

It's a surprise that on such high quality images as these, Ken that you feel the need to resurrect the thread.

A Song Thrush (not Chinese Thrush) with all pale areas burnt out and made brighter by poor exposure and out of focus.

B

The reason for raising this bird again Brian was principally finding the 4th image! Yes, we know that Chinese Song Thrush is another "set in stone" species that is sedentary (as to how sedentary...I don't know, do you?). It is so markedly similar to CST, that I believe it raises the possibility that races of far Eastern Song Thrush (which ultimately were related to CST) may carry a recessive gene which surfaces occasionally in Eastern races of Turdus philomelos, either that or ALL Song Thrushes carry the gene?

I think your comments regarding images being over exposed, burnt out, and out of focus are up to your usual standard of critique, I whole heartedly agree with the fact that they are poor images, nevertheless what you see....a strikingly stunning head pattern, plus tertial and covert contrasts....was exactly how it was...looking nothing like Turdus philomelos.

Cheers

Certainly a strange one Ken, I bet that got your heart pounding at the time ? so what is the fourth image ?
Sorry just seen post 5

Certainly "popped my eyes out" mark! :t:

Yes it is certainly a different looking bird from the norm, I wonder if nbalblas might have something when he Mentions hybrid, I,ve not checked up but are there other races of song thrush ? and if so could this be one. I said earlier it was a different looking bird which it is but also a Interesting looking bird, it was good to be able to take mistle Thrush out of the equation on size.

It's a taxa that probably deserves more attention coaltit...particularly across the cline going East. :t:

The reason for raising this bird again Brian was principally finding the 4th image! Yes, we know that Chinese Song Thrush is another "set in stone" species that is sedentary (as to how sedentary...I don't know, do you?). It is so markedly similar to CST, that I believe it raises the possibility that races of far Eastern Song Thrush (which ultimately were related to CST) may carry a recessive gene which surfaces occasionally in Eastern races of Turdus philomelos, either that or ALL Song Thrushes carry the gene?

I think your comments regarding images being over exposed, burnt out, and out of focus are up to your usual standard of critique, I whole heartedly agree with the fact that they are poor images, nevertheless what you see....a strikingly stunning head pattern, plus tertial and covert contrasts....was exactly how it was...looking nothing like Turdus philomelos.

Cheers
Its nice to get photo,s of such a bird If by chance you belong to a local bird society they should have a rare birds committee or panel they could help here if you could show them the pictures and they might forward them to some higher bodie if they feel a need to with your permission that is, so you have some good options there ken to think about if you have the contacts ?

Ken, this is indeed an interesting individual. Over the majority of its range Song Thrush is migratory and I imagine those to the East of their range must winter in places such as the Arabian Gulf. Having recently returned from a business trip there and seeing some good late autumn birds that must have been of Siberian origin rather than the more familiar European birds.
I wonder if similar looking birds to yours are more regularly encountered in the Gulf region and Middle East? An answer to that might help you answer your question. That is is it random plumage that occasionally occurs throughout its range or is it a clinal thing with more such individuals further East, perhaps even areas where they are all like yours.

Hi Ken

Here is an image to show how when a picture is soft, out of focus and cold it can exaggerate all of the features that your photo shows. It has taken away the details and colour on the face that 'fllls in' the face pattern and makes it less contrasty.

Apologies to Maurice Baker for ripping his image - I will take it down if he wishes.

B

Attachments

• soft and grey song thrush-1.jpg
    soft and grey song thrush-1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 196
Brian, I have no problem with your explanation...however, it was viewing the subject at close quarters perhaps 10m at most, on a low cloud dull day..through bins with another colleague, where we commented on how cold, and odd it looked...this is what prompted me to exchange bins for the shutter release on the camcorder, from which these low grade grabs were taken, unfortunately no substitute for better light and a DSLR!

Cheers

My reaction is never rule anything out- we just got the first Aleutian Terns for Australia about 3000 km away from the nearest other sightings! My initial thought on seeing the photo was what's a Chinese Thrush doing here, it sure looks like a very strange bird.

My reaction is never rule anything out- we just got the first Aleutian Terns for Australia about 3000 km away from the nearest other sightings! My initial thought on seeing the photo was what's a Chinese Thrush doing here, it sure looks like a very strange bird.

Thanks sicklebill, certainly an odd one!....well done on the Aleutian Terns. :t:

A very odd analogy if you don't me saying Phil. Aleutian Tern is a long distance migrant, the main wintering grounds apparently still unknown. Chinese Thrush on the other hand is largely sedentary though the northern populations winter S to S & SE China. Extralimital records have occurred in E.Tonkin, Vietnam and South Korea.

Grahame

If in doubt always shoot the bird....with a camera !, if possible, there must be hundreds of cases where a picture provides true identity, I know this from personal experience

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back