• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A raptor in flight and an empid, Yucatan (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi,

I photographed the raptor soaring over the forest at Punta Laguna, in the north of the peninsula, on May 5th, and cannot figure out what it is.
And the Empid was at Coba, on April 14th, and looked somewhat different to the Least flycatchers that were the usual suspects in the area. Maybe Acadian?

Thanks in advance for any help.

T

Attachments

• IMGP3664 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP3664 - Copy.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMGP2047 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP2047 - Copy.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMGP2049 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP2049 - Copy.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP2052 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP2052 - Copy.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP2046 - Copy.JPG
    IMGP2046 - Copy.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 46
The hawk is not an accipiter; the white tail bands are too wide, and the wings too long and narrow. Looks good for Double-toothed Kite?

The empid is tough, but I am not seeing an Acadian, which is more richly colored.

Andy

It might help reaching a conclusion re the raptor: this seems to be a 2nd cal year bird, with some secondaries and the central tail feathers (these should be adult type) moulted.

I don't get a D-t Kite here. Primaries aren't strongly barred, apparently shows 6 fingers, no prominent undertail coverts... An immature Roadside Hawk would be my bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back