• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anothe Phylloscopus warbler to ID. Doi Inthanon, Thailand (1 Viewer)

Steve Schoech

Supporter
Another Phylloscopus warbler to ID. Doi Inthanon, Thailand

Several shots of an individual from near top of Doi Inthanon, ~2,500 m. And I thought fall warblers in the New World were tough. Lightened (exposure adjusted) and cropped in Lightroom as needed... Thanks!

Attachments

• QPhylloscopus warbler #2.jpg
    QPhylloscopus warbler #2.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 61
  • QPhylloscopus warbler #2 2.jpg
    QPhylloscopus warbler #2 2.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 44
  • QPhylloscopus warbler #2 3.jpg
    QPhylloscopus warbler #2 3.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 59
  • QPhylloscopus warbler #2 4.jpg
    QPhylloscopus warbler #2 4.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 50
I think you have 2 different birds there (photo 1 and photos 2-4), given the first is very pale underneath and with an all pale lower mandible. Bird #2 (photos 2-4) are very suggestive of Ashy-throated Warbler to me, but wait for further opinions (of people experienced with these species).

I think you have 2 different birds there.

Mea culpa and thanks, Rafael. Actually, I'm an idiot 8-P ... Going back and checking the times on the files, it looks like 3 birds ... duh. 1 and 2 are different individuals and 3 & 4 are another. One trouble with digital cameras and the massive number of shots one can generate is the tendency to get loopy wading through 1,000s of pics.

Mea culpa and thanks, Rafael. Actually, I'm an idiot 8-P ... Going back and checking the times on the files, it looks like 3 birds ... duh. 1 and 2 are different individuals and 3 & 4 are another. One trouble with digital cameras and the massive number of shots one can generate is the tendency to get loopy wading through 1,000s of pics.
I know what you mean. With digital it just gets crazy, I usually try to make notes at the time, of which bird is which (on a note book), but sometimes there's so much action going on that it's just not possible... I think your pic #2 might refer to the same species as #3-4...

I hear you Rafael, further complicating matters is the time stamps on my files are on Honolulu time whereas my notes were on Thai time/date ...B :)

I think the 2-4 pics are Ashy-throated Warblers. For the first one, I would suggest Blyth's Leaf warbler. Supercillium doesn't look yellow enough for Davison's and tail feathers are too white for Claudia's. Anyway, I would like to here other opinions from the experts too.

I agree that nos. 2-4 look like Ashy-throated, if 3 & 4 are the same individual.

Re no. 1, Davison's can be quite variable and the undertail on this bird looks rather white to me. I was once told that the undertail matters more than the apparent plumage tones.

Initially, I was too concerned on the angle and light exposure that can misleading the undertail color. After reading some articles available on the internet regarding these 2 Phylloscopus spp., while the undertail of Blyth's can be white for some, but this individual shows completely white feathers which would fit better for the characteristic of Davison's. Agree with Andy here on davisoni.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back